sub $1000 ultra wide Z options?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

with the z6 iii announcement and liking all the specs and improvements, I'll like be fully transitioning to a pair of gripped Z6 IIIs soon by summer's end. And so i will be moving on also from my modest by impressive tamron 17-35 2.8-4. 17mm just isn't wide enough for the some of the things I like to do, and while everything points to the z 14-24 2.8 S being the easy pick and recommendation for its shear amazingness, I probably won't use it enough to justify the cost of one. I don't mind adapting, but the weight and bulk of an adapted 14-24 2.8G or sigma 14-24 does not appeal to me. However, I do mind adapting something smaller and lighter, and don't think I would mind manual focus either.
some options i have in my head:

nikon Z 14-30 (the obvious choice initially, but I've seen and read reviews and seen posts that show real issues in the corners at 14mm)
laowa 15mm f2 z mount
voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Z mount (super small, super light)
rokinon sp 14mm f2.4 adpated
Zeiss 15mm 2.8 adapted distagon t (b&h has one listed for $1,000 so it makes the cut)

the viltrox 16 1.8 looks to be great, but the max angle is specified at 'only' 105 degrees, which seems closer to 17mm than other 16mm lenses.

thanks and looking forward to any recommendations or use experiences of some of these manual focus lenses.

with the z6 iii announcement and liking all the specs and improvements, I'll like be fully transitioning to a pair of gripped Z6 IIIs soon by summer's end. And so i will be moving on also from my modest by impressive tamron 17-35 2.8-4. 17mm just isn't wide enough for the some of the things I like to do, and while everything points to the z 14-24 2.8 S being the easy pick and recommendation for its shear amazingness, I probably won't use it enough to justify the cost of one. I don't mind adapting, but the weight and bulk of an adapted 14-24 2.8G or sigma 14-24 does not appeal to me. However, I do mind adapting something smaller and lighter, and don't think I would mind manual focus either.
some options i have in my head:

nikon Z 14-30 (the obvious choice initially, but I've seen and read reviews and seen posts that show real issues in the corners at 14mm)
laowa 15mm f2 z mount
voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Z mount (super small, super light)
rokinon sp 14mm f2.4 adpated
Zeiss 15mm 2.8 adapted distagon t (b&h has one listed for $1,000 so it makes the cut)

the viltrox 16 1.8 looks to be great, but the max angle is specified at 'only' 105 degrees, which seems closer to 17mm than other 16mm lenses.

thanks and looking forward to any recommendations or use experiences of some of these manual focus lenses.
I just received a copy of the Viltrox 16mm lens on Saturday. I haven’t had time to shoot much with it yet. I bought to use on a couple of vacation trips this summer for photos of architecture (churches and old bldgs). At nearly 1.25 lbs and 4 inches in length it’s not svelte. It seems well built and images I’ve taken so far are of good quality. There’s some vignetting from f/1.8 to f/2.2 but that’s easily resolved in post.

Out of what you shared the Voightlander seems the best combination of size, price, and FOV.

The Nikon Z 14-30 f4 is the obvious choice, UNLESS you need a larger aperture (for astro or events). If you need the larger aperture then my point will be moot (but maybe it will help someone else reading this). Since I only use it for landscape and aperture I do not need a large aperture so this is the lens I use. It is plenty sharp, even in the corners. (And in real life usage, how many viewers actually zoom in on the corner of a picture to see how sharp it is?).

I found a shot from my walkaround in old town Toledo, Spain, that showed a wall with texture. I have cropped the corners at the same amount of enlargement and also a section just of center (I did not do dead center because that would be the tile only and I want to include the wall). Sure looks good to me. BTW these are all from the camera JPEG.

Toldedo master.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Toldeo crops.jpg

The Nikon Z 14-30 f4 is the obvious choice, UNLESS you need a larger aperture (for astro or events). If you need the larger aperture then my point will be moot (but maybe it will help someone else reading this). Since I only use it for landscape and aperture I do not need a large aperture so this is the lens I use. It is plenty sharp, even in the corners. (And in real life usage, how many viewers actually zoom in on the corner of a picture to see how sharp it is?).

I found a shot from my walkaround in old town Toledo, Spain, that showed a wall with texture. I have cropped the corners at the same amount of enlargement and also a section just of center (I did not do dead center because that would be the tile only and I want to include the wall). Sure looks good to me. BTW these are all from the camera JPEG.

View attachment 91875
View attachment 91876

that looks pretty dang good! And considering i have no immediate plans for a 45mp camera either, sticking with my 24 MPs for forseeable future. 14mm still works well for corners? Asking because I saw your pice was the 30mm long end.

perhaps with getting a 14-30, it might be best advised to purchase a used one from a reputable retailer with a good return policy in case of possible sample variation issues

that looks pretty dang good! And considering i have no immediate plans for a 45mp camera either, sticking with my 24 MPs for forseeable future. 14mm still works well for corners? Asking because I saw your pice was the 30mm long end.

perhaps with getting a 14-30, it might be best advised to purchase a used one from a reputable retailer with a good return policy in case of possible sample variation issues
I haven't used it that much, but if I have time I will try to do a test shot at 14mm.

I haven't used it that much, but if I have time I will try to do a test shot at 14mm.
I appreciate the offer and effort, but no worries at all!
See my fears mostly stemmed from the cameralabs review of the 14-30, where in their long distance landscape the far corners at 14 were pretty kind trash even stopped down. but their example images, like real world samples, the corners all look actually pretty much fine. so maybe it's at long long distances that the corners at weak at, but most street photos, or things up closer, their full res images look perfectly fine and honestly quite good.

I am on the hunt for a 'deal' on the 14-30...
But - I own the 20 f1.8 and man o man... wow lens. I post a couple on landscape a few weeks ago, 100% total 3 AM country (far from a city) night darkness. This lens turns dark to light, and detail is outrageous. And I thought the 14-24 2.8G was a great night lite lens, it's BS compared to my 20mm 1.8S. Be back later, I need to go hug it...

Not on your list but I've got a Samyang 14mm f2.8 (Rokinon in the USA?) on a Z mount and it works well for me. Manual focus so cheap new but I got a mint used one for 200 GBP!!

ENTER IF YOU DARE by Graham Owen.jpg

Last edited:
There are multiple comparisons/evaluations out there between the various Nikon z lenses being discussed. Most of those comparisons are based on a 47mp sensor.

i bought the 14-24 f2.8 based on reviews that showed it was sharper than the 14-30mm f4. I saw a significant difference between the two lenses. I love the 2.8 and it is my favorite super wide. I no longer use my 24-30 and was thinking of selling it.

i later thought of adding the 20mm f1.8 but from what I found most were advising not to add the 20mm if you already had the 2.8 zoom as they were pretty close in sharpness.

I have never used a 24mp sensor Z or F mount camera and can’t speak on how any of these lenses compare when used on a lower resolution camera.

\
Thanks for posting your example. I got the 14-30 for travel and have no regrets. Unless you are pixel peeping with huge landscapes, won't matter. The 14-24 is not in the OP's price range so I agree with your recommendation.

The optical features of UWide lenses entail intrinsic compromises, and the best are expensive, in this case the 14-24 f2.8S

The 14-30 f4S is impressive value at its price. I use this for versatility, including ease of filter attachment, and ergonomics in preference to the heavier Zeiss 15 f2.8AIS Distagon which was the leader until Nikon released it's Z Ultrawides

Back