SURPRISE! MAC OS now appears to support Nikon Z8 RAW files!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is to the members on this thread.
I have just ended my conversation with Apple Technical Support. They couldn't have been more helpful.
Let's run through this:
1. Apple does not provide Z8 Raw support for any Apple computer that includes the T2 security chip-2019 model + and Apple Silicon chip with Apple's new security protocols.
2. It appears that those here who have Z8 support have computers that do not fit into these two categories.
Can those of you who do have Z8 support, please advise what model/date you have and operating system? I'm particularly interested in hearing back from the OP..James about this info.
I'll check my iPhone and iPad later. But only really interested in my computers.
Thank you all.
Jon

News Flash..Apple is Wrong!
One 24" M1 iMac has/had Ventura and Z8 support.
One 24" M1 iMac has Ventura and no Z8 support.
One 16" MBookPro M1 has Sonoma and no Z8 support.
Just updated 1st iMac above and checking again later.

After my last post, I noticed the earlier post that had the system screen shot of the Mac with the T2 chip that did not have Z8 support also had the odd Z fc/Zfc dual listing, so there goes my theory about one being the Zf.

I don’t have a Z8 or Zf but found downloadable raw files for both and the Z8 has listed support and as expected the thumbnails show the image.

The raw Zf files are not listed as being supported and in fact the thumbnails for the Zf files on my computer (2023 mini/M2 pro) do not have the thumbnail image, they just show the aperture graphic and the letters NEF.

I updated to Sonoma 2 days ago so I am assuming I am fully up to date. I usually manually (not automatically) install the security updates/bug fixes as they become available but after one update for Big Sur knocked out the OS's access to .icc printing profiles, I tend to wait to see if any issues pop up first.

I have a Mac Mini 2020 M 1 chip. macOS is Ventura 13.6.4

I don’t have a Z8 or Z9. My Mac lists raw support for Z8 & Z9.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 13.39.37.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 13.39.37.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
News Flash..Apple is Wrong!
One 24" M1 iMac has/had Ventura and Z8 support.
One 24" M1 iMac has Ventura and no Z8 support.
One 16" MBookPro M1 has Sonoma and no Z8 support.
Just updated 1st iMac above and checking again later.
I agree. I find it very difficult to believe that the T2 chip would have any effect on RAW configurations. Apple support has not always been right about things. I think they’re reaching for an answer that doesn’t make any sense. But what do I know🤔

I have updated all my desktop and laptops--all M1 or M2 to Sonoma 14.3.1.
One iMac 24" M1 has support and the same one with 8GB (not 16GB) does not.
I have just been on the phone with Senior Tech Support--it is 'above their pay grade'.
It seems that the only way to move this up the ladder is to send a letter to corporate or use their 'Feedback Form'. I was sent the link for this and just sent it though.
The fact that Z8 support appears at all for various OS; including Ventura and Sonoma, confirms that Nikon sent Apple the appropriate 'System Files'. And Apple has provided this, to many, as part of their system's Raw Support.
But not all and not for identical devices.
I also sent a copy to my Nikon Contact.
Let's see what happens.

This is to the members on this thread.
I have just ended my conversation with Apple Technical Support. They couldn't have been more helpful.
Let's run through this:
1. Apple does not provide Z8 Raw support for any Apple computer that includes the T2 security chip-2019 model + and Apple Silicon chip with Apple's new security protocols.
2. It appears that those here who have Z8 support have computers that do not fit into these two categories.
Can those of you who do have Z8 support, please advise what model/date you have and operating system? I'm particularly interested in hearing back from the OP..James about this info.
I'll check my iPhone and iPad later. But only really interested in my computers.
Thank you all.
Jon
That seems weird. Why/How could Apple have created something in 2019 that interferes with a device created in 2023, AND only interferes with said device on SOME of its computers?

Thanks for the great news...But it only recognizes Lossless Raw. Does not support HE* nor HE.

I have an M1 MacBook Pro and now have Z8 Raw support for Photos in Sonoma 14.3.1.

Anyone else find that?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great news...But it only recognizes Lossless Raw. Does not support HE* nor HE.

I have an M1 MacBook Pro and now have Z8 Raw support for Photos in Sonoma 14.3.1.

Anyone else find that?

Thanks!
You are lucky that it is recognizing your Z8 Lossless. It is haphazard coverage for most. HE* and HE are not supported.

I noticed today on Nikon Rumours that Apple Os Sonoma 14.3.1 is finally recognizing RAW images from Nikon Z8 in the Photos program. I checked it out and my mac os is now able to use my Nikon Z8 images without my having to use the Nikon Transfer or editing software. Someday I may take a look at Lightroom and Photoshop but for now I am back in the Apple camp.

My 2019 2.7GhZ Quad Core Intel i7 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM) also was having the same issue. Under System Report, RAW Support for Z8 was not visible. I too spoke to Apple Support in SG and they were very helpful and were able to resolve the issue. The solution was as follows.
1. If you have imported RAW files from your Z8 into Photos before the Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 update was released, to delete them from Photos and shut down the application.
2, Next we updated my MacBook Pro to the Sonoma 14.3.1 update.
3. Even after updating it still did not show Z8 RAW Support in the Systems Report.
4. Then we launched Photos and re-imported the Z8 RAW files into Photos. Now the thumb nails were visible as normal in Photos, instead of the blank white rectangles I was seeing earlier.
5. Once the import was completed we checked the System Report once again and voila... Z8 appeared into RAW Support.

The apple support guy said that this issue was also seen when Z9 RAW support was added a year ago.

In my case, the preview app briefly shows the embedded jpg image but then changes to a scramble when, I assume, attempting to display the raw image.

I noticed today on Nikon Rumours that Apple Os Sonoma 14.3.1 is finally recognizing RAW images from Nikon Z8 in the Photos program. I checked it out and my mac os is now able to use my Nikon Z8 images without my having to use the Nikon Transfer or editing software. Someday I may take a look at Lightroom and Photoshop but for now I am back in the Apple camp.
Lucky you! My 2017 27” retina display iMac is not compatible with Sonoma. If I want Apple’s latest software update I will have to pay $2.5K for a new computer. 😕

Lucky you! My 2017 27” retina display iMac is not compatible with Sonoma. If I want Apple’s latest software update I will have to pay $2.5K for a new computer. 😕
For z8 compatibility it doesn’t matter which Mac OS you use. I use a 2014 Mac Mini with Monterey as the Mac OS and it updated to Z8 RAW automatically. Make sure under System preferences you have that check off in security pane.

My 2019 2.7GhZ Quad Core Intel i7 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM) also was having the same issue. Under System Report, RAW Support for Z8 was not visible. I too spoke to Apple Support in SG and they were very helpful and were able to resolve the issue. The solution was as follows.
1. If you have imported RAW files from your Z8 into Photos before the Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 update was released, to delete them from Photos and shut down the application.
2, Next we updated my MacBook Pro to the Sonoma 14.3.1 update.
3. Even after updating it still did not show Z8 RAW Support in the Systems Report.
4. Then we launched Photos and re-imported the Z8 RAW files into Photos. Now the thumb nails were visible as normal in Photos, instead of the blank white rectangles I was seeing earlier.
5. Once the import was completed we checked the System Report once again and voila... Z8 appeared into RAW Support.

The apple support guy said that this issue was also seen when Z9 RAW support was added a year ago.
Just goes to show you that persistence pays off. That previous explanation by Apple about a T2 chip preventing access to Z8 files made no sense. Great news for all you 2019 Mac owners.

For z8 compatibility it doesn’t matter which Mac OS you use. I use a 2014 Mac Mini with Monterey as the Mac OS and it updated to Z8 RAW automatically. Make sure under System preferences you have that check off in security pane.
Hey Ralph, It’s not there. I have Ventura 13.6.4 which is up to date for my 2017 27” retina display unit. I tried to download Sonoma so I could load Z8/raw. Apple’s site said my computer is not compatible with Sonoma. All the other 2017 models are…. Go figure..🤔

Back