Tale of En-el 18c batteries charging. Help

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had one that the calibration went for ever. I switched it off and just charged it. Seems to work fine. I don't know if I should re-try that calibration. Any advice? I'm for letting sleeping dogs lie!

I had one that the calibration went for ever. I switched it off and just charged it. Seems to work fine. I don't know if I should re-try that calibration. Any advice? I'm for letting sleeping dogs lie!
I tried to just switch to charge and kept getting the warning lights on the charger only with the 18c not the 18a. So contacted Nikon because of this from the D4S manual for my MH-26a charger (which Nikon their web page says the 18c is compatible with): A Battery Warning If the chamber and calibration lamps flash on and off in sequence when no battery is inserted, there is a problem with the charger. If the chamber and calibration lamps flash on and off in sequence when a battery is inserted, a problem has occurred with the battery or charger during charging. Remove the battery, unplug the charger, and take the battery and charger to a Nikon-authorized service representative for inspection. Nikon said it was the battery and sent me a prepaid shipping label and then returned the battery saying it was repaired nothing about what they did to it and it has worked for weeks now.

Resurrecting this old thread.

So is Nikon still having issues with the EN-EL18c??? I just bought one, made 3/2021 from B&H and an MH-33 charger. Wanted the battery for a grip for a d850. I get all three lights flashing green rapidly, which I'm assuming is an indication of a bad battery?

You could try to pull it from the charger and try again, but if it were me, I'd contact B&H and tell them I want a replacement. That battery is already 2 years old and they only have a minimal charge from the factory. After 2 years it's probably depleted below the recovery level.

Resurrecting this old thread.

So is Nikon still having issues with the EN-EL18c??? I just bought one, made 3/2021 from B&H and an MH-33 charger. Wanted the battery for a grip for a d850. I get all three lights flashing green rapidly, which I'm assuming is an indication of a bad battery?
Instructions for MH-33 from Z9 manual. Not sure how fast the lights are flashing? I could not copy from the manual but here are screen caps from the relavent pages.

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 6.44.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 6.43.30 PM.png

Interesting comments regarding the EN EL 18c battery. I had the same problem over the last two weeks. Ordered a Nikon EN EL 18c but it would not charge, Had a flashing light going from the Calibrate light to the side indicator light. Had on the charger for 24 hours. I eventually return the battery and ordered a new one. The same thing occurred with the new battery. I read in these comments that some were successful by forcing the charge by constantly starting the charging process over and over again. I decided to try this method. I put it on the charger until the lights started to go back and forth from the calibrate to side light (about 5 minutes). I removed and then put it back on the charger. I did this 5 times, on the 5th attempt the battery charged. I got a 100% charge of the new battery. I would recommend this method. BTW my charger is the MH - 26a

Interesting comments regarding the EN EL 18c battery. I had the same problem over the last two weeks. Ordered a Nikon EN EL 18c but it would not charge, Had a flashing light going from the Calibrate light to the side indicator light. Had on the charger for 24 hours. I eventually return the battery and ordered a new one. The same thing occurred with the new battery. I read in these comments that some were successful by forcing the charge by constantly starting the charging process over and over again. I decided to try this method. I put it on the charger until the lights started to go back and forth from the calibrate to side light (about 5 minutes). I removed and then put it back on the charger. I did this 5 times, on the 5th attempt the battery charged. I got a 100% charge of the new battery. I would recommend this method. BTW my charger is the MH - 26a
Just curious what camera you are using it in? I kept one EN EL 18c and the MH-26a charger but have not used either in a long time. I see that Nikon USA is still selling the battery and it is available but not the charger the only thing they offer is the MH-26a ZK adapter kit which is shown as the replacement for the MH-26a.

If you have access to a Z9 or a Z9 charger, it completely resurrected 2 older batteries I own. When the battery voltage is too low most chargers wont charge it anymore in case it has a bad cell. For whatever reason the Z9 with the usb-c plugged in got it done.

If you have access to a Z9 or a Z9 charger, it completely resurrected 2 older batteries I own. When the battery voltage is too low most chargers wont charge it anymore in case it has a bad cell. For whatever reason the Z9 with the usb-c plugged in got it done.
Thanks Wes I did not even know the En-El 18 c would work in my Z9 MH-33 but it is charging one right now with the standard wall plug in :cool: Way back when Nikon was saying the new charger was not compatible but they did not even list the new charger for sale back then but now it shows it just not compatible with the 18 and 18a

Thanks Wes I did not even know the En-El 18 c would work in my Z9 MH-33 but it is charging one right now with the standard wall plug in :cool: Way back when Nikon was saying the new charger was not compatible but they did not even list the new charger for sale back then but now it shows it just not compatible with the 18 and 18a
I believe you can even charge them in camera with the Z8 and Z9.

I believe you can even charge them in camera with the Z8 and Z9.
Some do charge in camera. I always use the chargers (I have 3) and use a card reader to download so my port covers some have complained no longer seal or have fallen off with use are not an issue for my simplistic use since I have never used anything under them :)

Back