Technological advancements

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For me the biggest technology game changer predates mirrorless with incredible high ISO performance. Available light shots that were pretty much inconceivable in the film and early DSLR days are commonplace and support things like very fast shutter speed for action in softer light. That and advanced AF system performance including both speedy acquisition and tracking both across the frame but also improved tracking of fast moving subjects across distance which really started to shine in late generation DSLRs and just keeps getting better with mirrorless technology.

So many great new features it's hard to count and I really like having things like much better control customization, built in auto capture is fun, precapture sounds great and if it's extended to raw captures I'll probably make use of it, built in focus stack shooting is pretty nice for macro and even some landscape work, focus peaking in manual focus mode is pretty handy at times and the stuff mentioned above is pretty great. I guess like a lot of technology the sum of all those advancements is greater than the individual features and no doubt modern cameras are pretty incredible tools.
wow, you named quite a few additional advancements which were not on my short list. In general, I agree with you and I think since we have taken nice photos in the past be it on film or on DSLR cameras, we can categorise these features as nice to have. Clean High ISO capabilities and so called ISO invariant sensors is definitely in the top of my list! Thank you for pointing it out.

I’m still struggling with selling my D850.. and making the full switch to MLC. For some reason I still find it a good idea to keep using two cameras. I guess I want to avoid losing certain skills which are needed for DSLR cameras, they are not required for MLCs.
While I moostly shoot with the Z9, I use my Z6 for family events and am not yet willing to part with the D850/500PF combo. I also shoot an IR converted D600. So I love mirrorless and will keep my DSLRs for some time to come.

wow, you named quite a few additional advancements which were not on my short list. In general, I agree with you and I think since we have taken nice photos in the past be it on film or on DSLR cameras, we can categorise these features as nice to have. Clean High ISO capabilities and so called ISO invariant sensors is definitely in the top of my list! Thank you for pointing it out.
Definitely, @DRwyoming flagged quite possibly the singular feature that has leveraged wildlife photography thanks to digital cameras.
The first leap forward of digital cameras took us far beyond film. Those of us from the film era worked within the straitjacket of ISO 64 or even ISO 25.
Provia 100 was a major advance in its day.

But it got even better.....

Over the past 2 decades DSLRs have pushed back the boundaries of possibilities in low light conditions. The release of the Nikon D3 was a keystone event in 2007, followed by the D5 in 2016.

"But it wasn't just performance photographers that were amazed by the D3. Wildlife photographers, too, were raving about this amazing new camera that let them shoot in full color, in situations where previously they would have been limited to infrared. Like I said, it was a paradigm shift...."

User experience - silent shutter. I now find DSLR shutter noise as unpleasant as a passing biker who thinks that a noisy exhaust shows he is a real man.

Image quality - improvements in high ISO performance. Images that would have been impossible a few years ago are now mainstream. This has enabled a wonderful exploration of image possibilities.

Oh, I forgot -- even though it's not new technology the IBIS in my cameras continues to improve with each new model. I tend to forget about IBIS since I've been able to take it for granted in every Olympus ILC I've had. IBIS has made a world of difference since I can even handhold at a FF equivalent of 1120mm. Back in the film days it was hard to handhold at 300mm in a SLR with its slapping mirror and moving shutter curtains.

I agree with most of what’s been said but there is still one area of technological regression……battery life.
Regression might be a bit harsh, but battery technology just hasn’t kept up. Sure we can manufacture around or screw on extra capacity but it is at the expense of weight and bulk.
It’s not just cameras, it’s many devices right through to EV’s. The next battery chemistry breakthrough needs to come soon as it is becoming a limiting factor to advancement. Either that or we need to find a way to obtain the same performance for less power requirement, trouble is that those pesky laws of physics get in the way.

Coming from a D700 with battery grip and the large D3 battery to a Z6, the battery life impact is much smaller than anticipated, instead of getting a full week of travel from one full charge (I usually charge once regardless), I get 3-4 days on a EN-EL 15c. And I realized I look much more at my picture in the field with the Z6 than I did with the D700. Not too bad actually, and definetely not a huge regression.

The things I love: focus peaking and highlighting, IBIS (I did get better results with my 300 mm and heavy D700 than the Z6 with IBIS, but that is handling on my side), high ISO performance, battery charging in camera using USB-C.

However, I also rate radically better ergonomics with improved VR of several telephotos is the big enabler for wildlife photographers ; here the current Z Lightweights set the benchmark in a trend highlighted by the 300 PF (2015) and 500 PF (2018). I find the 800 PF sets the highest benchmark in how well it blends Handholding with unprecedented Reach. Undoubtedly, it's a game changer.
I adore the 300 PF (even after having bought the 45 F4 .5Z version. it is by far my mostly used lens, for wildlife, landscape, semi-macro and kids photography. The 300 and 500 PF would probably be the only two lenses that will not be sold, even when I make a complete switch to the Z system.

Coming from a D700 with battery grip and the large D3 battery to a Z6, the battery life impact is much smaller than anticipated, instead of getting a full week of travel from one full charge (I usually charge once regardless), I get 3-4 days on a EN-EL 15c. And I realized I look much more at my picture in the field with the Z6 than I did with the D700. Not too bad actually, and definetely not a huge regression.

The things I love: focus peaking and highlighting, IBIS (I did get better results with my 300 mm and heavy D700 than the Z6 with IBIS, but that is handling on my side), high ISO performance, battery charging in camera using USB-C.
from what I read, IBIS works better with short focal lengths and is not as effective with longer focal lengts.

I recently turned off focus speaking because it made it harder for me to see where or what I was photographing. I guess I’m old school in this matter and I’m used to focusing lenses with OVFs, that I don’t need the peeking.

oh yes, battery charging via USB did make life (particularly travelling) much easier.

I agree with most of what’s been said but there is still one area of technological regression……battery life.
Regression might be a bit harsh, but battery technology just hasn’t kept up. Sure we can manufacture around or screw on extra capacity but it is at the expense of weight and bulk.
It’s not just cameras, it’s many devices right through to EV’s. The next battery chemistry breakthrough needs to come soon as it is becoming a limiting factor to advancement. Either that or we need to find a way to obtain the same performance for less power requirement, trouble is that those pesky laws of physics get in the way.
I think we stand better chances of improving energy usage with newer chips, and therefore extending battery life, rather than inventing a new battery technology, but that’s just my personal guess.

All good points above and it’s hard for me to narrow it down to just one thing. I do action and 20fps is a game changer vs 9 on my d850 which I finally let go on the advice of Steve Perry as he warned that the longer you wait you may not be able to sell dslr gear at all. I now have 2 z8s and the difference in IQ is negligible compared to the d850 with what I do. However the keeper rate and the ability to catch interesting moments in action shots is so much higher there is for me no comparison. The AF modes, eye detection, and sheer speed make it so much easier. Also the new z glass is really good and the TCs work better. I’m sure Canon and Sony are as good but I do Nikon and don’t regret my choice. Having to not be concerned about shutter use is something to appreciate as well. I take lots of photos and like to go out and practice and now I don’t have to worry about high shutter counts any more. As said above new software advances have made a big difference especially for someone like me who uses the mid level glass and can’t afford the exotics. I enjoy post processing so I find I can now shoot at higher isos than before and I think having more accurate AF has made getting clean sharp photos at higher isos more possible.

I moved from my D3X D5 to a pair of D850 units one with a Grip.

I was laying on a rock in the middle of some rapids in Tasmania trying to get a low level mid rapid shot of the waterfall, at that point, frozen wet and struggling i said i want desperately a tilt screen, shortly after along came the D850 with 9fps 45 mp tilt screen i was sold. I need this tool.

Glass has improved in cases but not all. Skill sets still play a small part for a little longer.

Only an opinion

I think we stand better chances of improving energy usage with newer chips, and therefore extending battery life, rather than inventing a new battery technology, but that’s just my personal guess.
I do agree, to a point. Improving efficiency is always an ongoing and offers iterative improvement, not just in cameras. For a step change you need that next technological breakthrough.

It is incredible how many technological advancements were made in the past 5 years, particularly after the transition from DLSR to MLC. I was pondering which of these advancements had the greatest impact on my photography... and I can say with big certainty, that in my case the No. 1 for me would be "silent shooting".

I was wondering which one would be for you? subject recognition? eye tracking? high frame rate? pre-capture? auto-capture?

cheers, Ado
Silent shooting came before mirrorless.
Although I mostly shoot mirrorless these days - I dont find mirrorless much of a breakthrough ...🦘

Battery technology is a vibrant research field, driven by the high demands in energy and electronic vehicle industries. Efficiency and minimizing environmental costs are two dominant motivations.
LiFePO4 batteries are already available in portable power supplies eg Anker 757, but currently they appear to be less suitable for cameras

Last edited:
Battery technology is a vibrant research field, driven by the high demands in energy and electronic vehicle industries. Efficiency and minimizing environmental costs are two dominant motivations.
LiFePO4 batteries are already available in portable power supplies eg Anker 757, but currently they appear to tless suitable for cameras

Very interesting area, we sell all our Lithium to China who do what ever then on sell it to Germany, Germany recently was here in OZ asking to buy Lithium directly from OZ, is this because maybe Germany has new technology they don't want to have be handled or processed through third party's or processioning going forward ?
Lithium is on a path of real R and D, exciting times ahead.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Silent shooting came before mirrorless.
Although I mostly shoot mirrorless these days - I dont find mirrorless much of a breakthrough ...🦘
yes, one can take silent photos with a D850, but only when using live view.. for me (and my use case) that doesn’t really count, cause I can hardly photograph active wildlife using the back screen..

Subject tracking with eye detection has allowed me to use autofocus 100%. With my DSLR cameras I used manual override nearly 100% of the time with static subjects as otherwise the camera would focus on the wrong part of a subject or front or back focus. I would have gained very little with the 800mm PF lens but for the autofocus capabilities of the Z9 camera.

Back