Tethering Z8 to Lightroom on a Windows PC cable help

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am trying to tether my z8 to Lightroom Classic on a Windows PC. It works with the cable that is on the Lexar CF Express B Card Reader. The Card reader has a
"2-in-1 USB Type-C to Type-C and Type-C to Type-A Cable (11.8" / 30cm)" but I need around a 6 foot cable. I'm using the Type C to Type A "extension". The port on the computer is a 3.1 Type A port (it doesn't say if it's Type A or Type B, so I'm guessing it's Type A...but as you can see, I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to understand...)

I also have a Type C 3.1 port on the back of the computer. I purchased a USB C to USB C 3.2 cable and that didn't work. I also tried an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable, but I'm guessing that's just a charging cable and doesn't do data transfer because it didn't work either.

Again, the cable that came with the Lexar Card Reader works, but it's way too short. Can anyone lead me to what kind of cable I need to purchase that is like the one on the Lexar Card Reader.

Thanks much for all your help....

Last edited:
I am trying to tether my z8 to Lightroom Classic on a Windows PC. It works with the cable that is on the Lexar CF Express B Card Reader. The Card reader has a
  • 2-in-1 USB Type-C to Type-C and Type-C to Type-A Cable (11.8" / 30cm)"

By tether you mean live view, computer capture via Lightroom or other editor? Or just transferring files?

Wow! You're fast. Yes, live view in Lightroom.
It works, v13 and up of Lightroom. Very finicky on cables and the "standard" orange tethertools is very unstable. I have good success with the Area51 as well as some generic ones. Lightroom may tell you that you need to run an emulation, and all it takes is relaunching the app.

It works, v13 and up of Lightroom. Very finicky on cables and the "standard" orange tethertools is very unstable. I have good success with the Area51 as well as some generic ones. Lightroom may tell you that you need to run an emulation, and all it takes is relaunching the app.
Thanks again for your response. Do I need a special tethering cable or just any data cable?

Any data cable.
I purchased a 3.1 gen 2, 10Gbps Type C yesterday. It should arrive today.

This morning, I tried the Anker USB-C to USB-C cable again. It doesn't say that it's a data cable or what speed it will works at, just 60W. This morning, it works! (yesterday, it did not). If the 3.1 gen 2 cable works, how would I know which one is better (I could return one).

Thanks again for all your help.

I purchased a 3.1 gen 2, 10Gbps Type C yesterday. It should arrive today.

This morning, I tried the Anker USB-C to USB-C cable again. It doesn't say that it's a data cable or what speed it will works at, just 60W. This morning, it works! (yesterday, it did not). If the 3.1 gen 2 cable works, how would I know which one is better (I could return one).

Thanks again for all your help.
Update: The 3.1 Gen 2 cable did not work either. It worked until I had Live View on in Lightroom and tried to change the shutter speed. Then it stopped and Windows pop-up message was that it failed and Lightroom couldn't find the camera anymore. Out of the 3 cables, the only one that worked was the Anker USB-C to USB-C cable. Just in case this might help someone else in the future....

Update: The Anker USB-C to USB-C cable no longer works. It only worked for a couple of shots. Lightroom can't find the camera. I searched on Adobe's website troubleshooting and they said to be sure that in Windows, under the Control Panel, Autoplay for a memory card is set to "take no action". That didn't work either. I just purchased a USB-3.1, C to A cable because that's what the Lexar 1 foot cable is and it works on that. But, I need a 6 foot cable. It says "charging" cable, but that's what the Anker said too. I'll update after I get it. So frustrating....

Update: The Anker USB-C to USB-C cable no longer works. It only worked for a couple of shots. Lightroom can't find the camera. I searched on Adobe's website troubleshooting and they said to be sure that in Windows, under the Control Panel, Autoplay for a memory card is set to "take no action". That didn't work either. I just purchased a USB-3.1, C to A cable because that's what the Lexar 1 foot cable is and it works on that. But, I need a 6 foot cable. It says "charging" cable, but that's what the Anker said too. I'll update after I get it. So frustrating....
Try Area51. That's what I use now.

Try Area51. That's what I use now.
Thanks Nimi. I looked them up. There's quite a few cables, most very long and expensive. Do you know which one you're using? USB-C to C, I'm guessing... ? The shortest I see is 15 feet. I need only 6 feet, maybe could get by with 5.5 feet. I've read there's problems if you go over 10 or 12 feet. I'd love to know exactly what you're using :)

Thanks Nimi. I looked them up. There's quite a few cables, most very long and expensive. Do you know which one you're using? USB-C to C, I'm guessing... ? The shortest I see is 15 feet. I need only 6 feet, maybe could get by with 5.5 feet. I've read there's problems if you go over 10 or 12 feet. I'd love to know exactly what you're using :)

It's red! I don't recall the model, but it's 15ft, USB-C to USB-C, right angle, about $70. In my experience, all data cables work short distance but to get distance costs. They also, as you observed, are unpredictable. Works, doesn't work, works again.

@Many Feathers

As you have found, tethering can be inconsistent using data cables which admittedly are a lot cheaper. That's why dedicated tethering cables are expensive - they work!. Most tethering cables are designed to be used in a studio environment so tend to start at 15 feet.

It's red! I don't recall the model, but it's 15ft, USB-C to USB-C, right angle, about $70. In my experience, all data cables work short distance but to get distance costs. They also, as you observed, are unpredictable. Works, doesn't work, works again.
Thanks much, Nimi. I did find a red one Groom Lake Pro for $75. At least there's no shipping. No returns though...only exchanges and only if package isn't opened and I pay return shipping. I'd be willing to do it if I was sure it would work. At least now I know that tethering cables are different than regular cables.
@Many Feathers

As you have found, tethering can be inconsistent using data cables which admittedly are a lot cheaper. That's why dedicated tethering cables are expensive - they work!. Most tethering cables are designed to be used in a studio environment so tend to start at 15 feet.
Good to hear that they work. Thanks for posting....

Update, because of all your posts... and someone posting on the new NX Tether 2.0 having LiveView now, I decided to move my Camera Stand closer to my computer. I attached the Z8 to the computer with the 2 foot cable included with the Z8 and downloaded NX Tether 2.0. I've been using it this way for about a month now. It's been working GREAT! I love that I can zoom in with NX Tether and get the light just the way I want it. Autofocus with NX Tether too. No glitches yet... knock on wood. So, thanks for all your input. Don't know what I'd do without the help I get here! :)

when lightroom is in live view, does it black out the screen's LCD and disables the shutter?
With Lightroom, it would disconnect and then it couldn't find the camera again. Perhaps it was because I was using a longer cord. I just really liked how NX Tether 2.0 worked, so I didn't go back to using LiveView in Lightroom. From NX Tether, I have the images written to the folder I want and then I go to Lightroom and synchronize to process in Lightroom.

With Lightroom, it would disconnect and then it couldn't find the camera again. Perhaps it was because I was using a longer cord. I just really liked how NX Tether 2.0 worked, so I didn't go back to using LiveView in Lightroom. From NX Tether, I have the images written to the folder I want and then I go to Lightroom and synchronize to process in Lightroom.
You can set up LR to automatically, real-time access the NX tether folder. That's what I did before Adobe tethered directly to the z9.

For slide-copying, I'm trying to connect my Z8 (Firmware 2.0) to NX Tether (Version 2.0) via USB Cable. Not connecting at all!

Cable: Original Nikon cable in USB-C data port (upper)

Has anyone succeeded with this or similar configuration?

For slide-copying, I'm trying to connect my Z8 (Firmware 2.0) to NX Tether (Version 2.0) via USB Cable. Not connecting at all!

Cable: Original Nikon cable in USB-C data port (upper)

Has anyone succeeded with this or similar configuration?
Here's what works for me:
Be sure that the computer recognizes the camera BEFORE you open NX Tether.
1. With camera off and using the USB-C to USB-A 2 foot cable that came with the Z8, attach the USB-C side to the camera Data Port and the USB-A side to a USB 3.0 port on the computer.
2. Turn the camera on and Windows will ask what to do with the camera. Ignore that and it will go away in a few seconds.
3. Open NX Tether 2.0 and check settings and confirm where the photos should be saved.
4. Click on the LV (Live View) button and confirm focus and settings.

Hope that helps. I know how frustrating this can be...

Here's what works for me:
Be sure that the computer recognizes the camera BEFORE you open NX Tether.
1. With camera off and using the USB-C to USB-A 2 foot cable that came with the Z8, attach the USB-C side to the camera Data Port and the USB-A side to a USB 3.0 port on the computer.
2. Turn the camera on and Windows will ask what to do with the camera. Ignore that and it will go away in a few seconds.
3. Open NX Tether 2.0 and check settings and confirm where the photos should be saved.
4. Click on the LV (Live View) button and confirm focus and settings.

Hope that helps. I know how frustrating this can be...
USB-C on the computer side wouldn’t work?

Back