Tethering Z8 to Lightroom on a Windows PC cable help

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

USB-C on the computer side wouldn’t work?
I couldn't get any other cables to work except the 2 foot cable that came with the Z8. It has a USB-A plug. I would think a USB-C would certainly work, if the cable wasn't too long or ... worked. I tried a (I think 4 different) USB-C on the computer end, but it had to go to the back of the computer for a USB-C port.... 6.6 ft ish in length. A couple of them found the camera, but then after 2 or 3 times, it couldn't find the camera anymore. On a whim, I tried the 2 foot one that came with the camera and it works (knock on wood). Perhaps one of the ones others are using might work for matteo. Maybe it's my old 'puter :)

I've been having good luck with the Area51 cables, multiple lengths. Z9/Zf M3 Mac. Never had luck with Tether Tools. Cables aren't created equal, especially over distance.

I'm using an "old-fashioned" Windows 10 Tower PC with latest firmware (not a desktop but a desk-below) that is located below my desk. My problem is getting the camera connected and recognized by NX Tether 2.0. The camera always connects to the PC, i.e. the Z8 folder shows up with two files in it, one per memory card - I suppose. The issue is that NX Tether does not recognize the camera. The Windows plugin prompt can be turned off permanently b.t.w., which I have done.

I first tried the front USB-A connectors (which are connected to the mainboard via internal cabling rather than directly soldered to the mainboard) because they are the only ones accessible with the very short (and cheap?) Nikon cable UC-E24 - the front USB ports are 3.2 type (SS 5 = 5 Gbit).

I now tried the back USB 3.2 connectors requiring some body exercise with all the camera and scanning device attached (I'm using the Valoi easy35 camera attachment). It actually worked once or twice but I can't repeat it. I tried all USB 3.2 ports: SS 10 (10 Gbit), SS 5 (5 Gbit). None work repeatedly. The PC also has a 10 Gbit USB-C 3.2 port in the back which I cannot try with the Nikon UC-E24 cable because it is an A-C cable. I don't want to introduce another Unknown with a third-party USB-C to -C cable.

I openend a ticket with Nikon a few days ago, they haven't answered yet.

I'm using an "old-fashioned" Windows 10 Tower PC with latest firmware (not a desktop but a desk-below) that is located below my desk. My problem is getting the camera connected and recognized by NX Tether 2.0. The camera always connects to the PC, i.e. the Z8 folder shows up with two files in it, one per memory card - I suppose. The issue is that NX Tether does not recognize the camera. The Windows plugin prompt can be turned off permanently b.t.w., which I have done.

I first tried the front USB-A connectors (which are connected to the mainboard via internal cabling rather than directly soldered to the mainboard) because they are the only ones accessible with the very short (and cheap?) Nikon cable UC-E24 - the front USB ports are 3.2 type (SS 5 = 5 Gbit).

I now tried the back USB 3.2 connectors requiring some body exercise with all the camera and scanning device attached (I'm using the Valoi easy35 camera attachment). It actually worked once or twice but I can't repeat it. I tried all USB 3.2 ports: SS 10 (10 Gbit), SS 5 (5 Gbit). None work repeatedly. The PC also has a 10 Gbit USB-C 3.2 port in the back which I cannot try with the Nikon UC-E24 cable because it is an A-C cable. I don't want to introduce another Unknown with a third-party USB-C to -C cable.

I openend a ticket with Nikon a few days ago, they haven't answered yet.
That's extremely frustrating! Your thoughts with the USB-C to C cable are the same as mine were.... try setting it up EXACTLY how Nikon NX Tether says in their instructions. Please let us know what Nikon says. Here's one other, probably dumb thought. Could it be that NX Tether uses the Window's PlugIn prompt somehow? You obviously know more about 'puters than me...just trying to get rid of any variables. Although, if you got it to work once or twice, then that couldn't be the issue.... ?

No reply from Nikon yet.
I forgot to mention some obvious but important Z8 camera setting(s):

1. For a direct camera-PC USB connection, the camera setting "USB Data Connection" in the Network menu must be set to "MTP/PTP".
2. The setting "USB connection priority" I have set to "Upload" but it should not make a difference for connectivity.

Setting of Windows 10 Autoplay does not seem to make a difference. I usually have it completely off.

Update on Nikon support:

I now have a (late) reply from Nikon which is totally useless! It's just a cascade of stupid questions like: Do you know your operating system? Or have you plugged into the correct port? With every reply I give, I can wait another week to get the next bunch of stupid questions! It's a joke, but not a funny one! Maybe I was talking to a an AI-Robot?

In summary, I do not expect any help from Nikon. Very sad.

Back