The 400mm f 2.8 S lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Has anyone received a shipment email from NPS? Hope a few are on their way…

The “NIKKOR Z 400mm f / 2.8 TC VR S”, which is scheduled to be released on February 18, 2022, has received a large number of reservations beyond expectations. For this reason, we may not be able to deliver the product on the day of release to customers who have already made a reservation…

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2022/02/08/...8-tc-vr-s-mirrorless-lens.aspx/#ixzz7LRonR24s

Image below refers to how the image is framed on a FX vs DX sensor using the same lens on the subject.

The expression I invoke often is Pixels/Duck using D500 and D850 as the cameras, with almost identical coverage of pixels/duck (all else kept equal except crop factor).

I'm less familiar with your #2. What might shooting in DX mode underlie increase "the chance of BEAF activation"? Is this birds-eye mode kicking in i.e. activating, or does it refer to successfully grabbing the eye(s)?

View attachment 32996
I would be autofocusing on a bird and Eye AF wasn’t showing up. Quickly switching to DX mode without changing anything else would quite often allow the camera to figure out an eye and Eye AF would show up. This was very common on R5, common on Z9 and rarely on A1. The A1 has its own little trick whereas switching over an AF mode into the Tracking version of that mode will often trigger eye AF where it wasn’t triggered before.

Has anyone received a shipment email from NPS? Hope a few are on their way…

The “NIKKOR Z 400mm f / 2.8 TC VR S”, which is scheduled to be released on February 18, 2022, has received a large number of reservations beyond expectations. For this reason, we may not be able to deliver the product on the day of release to customers who have already made a reservation…

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2022/02/08/...8-tc-vr-s-mirrorless-lens.aspx/#ixzz7LRonR24s

There are definitely lenses on the way. I just spoke with Nikon (I was charged nearly a week ago with no email) and they confirmed that the EU warehouse had stock last week and was shipping lenses out on Friday, mine included. One of the members on another forum picked his up on Friday in Thailand and has already been using it.

I would be autofocusing on a bird and Eye AF wasn’t showing up. Quickly switching to DX mode without changing anything else would quite often allow the camera to figure out an eye and Eye AF would show up. This was very common on R5, common on Z9 and rarely on A1. The A1 has its own little trick whereas switching over an AF mode into the Tracking version of that mode will often trigger eye AF where it wasn’t triggered before.
Thanks, makes sense

Hey Photographers! I need some advice. I just received my Z9 and its my first mirorless camera. I have 3 DSLR body camera and some F mounted lenses: 500mm F4, 300mm F2.8, 70-200 mm f2.8 and macro and wide angle. I am thinking to sell all my lenses and my DSLR except the 300 mm F2.8 and my D850. I am really interested in the new 400mm S F2.8 . I wanted to order it this week or when I am sure, that is the best lens choice I need. I travel a lot and it is big problem to carry everything in the plane and worry each time about it. I photograph every living thing from the tiny one to the big one. I love bird photography a lot. So can you advice me if I should go ahead and buy the 400mm or wait for the new 600mm? I know the 400mm would be more useful for big animals, but is it good for the tiny birds? I know we can use teleconverter, but I also want the best photo quality. Thanks for giving me your thought. It will help me a lot
I just watched a video on You Tube by Matt Irwin a Nikon shooter he just got the new Nikon 400mm lens and did a real world test and is giving it great reviews check it out

I just watched a video on You Tube by Matt Irwin a Nikon shooter he just got the new Nikon 400mm lens and did a real world test and is giving it great reviews check it out
Thank, I watch it last weekend. He is a great street photographer! Thanks again

Review by CameraLabs. A fairly thorough testing, typo on closing page: this lens is a 560 f4 with its TC14 (not f5.6).
but it's missing the obvious comparisons sought after by at least some prospective buyers (upgrader is probably the better term). These are not only 400 f2.8E FL, but the 180-400 f4E TC14.
Anyway deciding on choice telephotos in a mixed F and Z ecosystem faces major dilemmas. There are so many excellent options! And by 2023 the options will have widened.... 400 S PF and 800 f6.3S PF.
All these E FL Nikkors are excellent, the 400 f2.8E especially as the quality with TC14 is outstanding and I often shoot mine as a 800 f5.6....when it's secured many keepers.

Last edited:
Whilst we need more tests it is starting to look like the lens is going to be fantastic at 400, great with the internal 1.4x and very good with an external 2x. Stacking use of the internal TC and external TC is possible with decent results, especially in the middle of the frame but it seems like the least optimal way to use the lens. I would have enjoyed being able to throw a 1.4x on and switch between 560 and 800 with full confidence but as it stands I'll be really happy to have a 2x in the bag and otherwise just use the lens at 400 or 560.

Curious to see if that's how it is in practise once I have it.

Whilst we need more tests it is starting to look like the lens is going to be fantastic at 400, great with the internal 1.4x and very good with an external 2x. Stacking use of the internal TC and external TC is possible with decent results, especially in the middle of the frame but it seems like the least optimal way to use the lens. I would have enjoyed being able to throw a 1.4x on and switch between 560 and 800 with full confidence but as it stands I'll be really happy to have a 2x in the bag and otherwise just use the lens at 400 or 560.

Curious to see if that's how it is in practise once I have it.
Have you ordered it? I did and I am until know the only one at my dealer.

Looks like a fantastic lens - but Its not on my list.
I still have my 200-400mm and 600mm f4 AFG lenses and cant justify the 400mm Z lens.
But I probably will buy the 200-600mm Z when it comes out to replace my 200-500mm g lens...🦘

Yes. I ordered it direct from Nikon and in theory it shipped on Monday. It has to get from the EU to the UK though and it looks like the parcel tracking may only kick in once it's in the UK.
Well congratulation! I hope you will share your though with us when you try it. For mine and according to my dealer I am supposed to received it in six months. But who knows?

Here are some initial impressions of this lens based on one extended session. I spent yesterday at a hawk conservancy where they do several flying demonstrations each day (mostly as family entertainment but good fun with a camera). I was also getting used to my Z9 and trying a mixture of traditional back-button focus and having different focus modes on shutter and the back-button.

• The TC mechanism is exactly the same as on the 180-400 and works very smoothly and easily. If you're using an external TC then it's much harder to reach the TC lever and Memory Set button, but the memory set is something you wouldn't be pressing in the heat of the action so that's no big deal and I'm starting to form an opinion that TC stacking (internal + external) isn't a good idea - too much loss of quality.
  • The detail at 400mm is stunning. I've previously owned the 500mm f4 FL and currently own (Will be trading) the 180-400 f4 TC and I'm happy that at 400mm f2.8 is also of a fantastic quality. I don't want to claim if it's better or by how much because I was shooting entirely hand-held and I'm not comparing like with like. I am 100% satisfied though with the detail in my initial images.
  • The detail at 560mm with the internal TC is very, very good. It's a little difficult to compare with the 400mm shots because my ISO was doubling and I wasn't allowing any extra shutter speed. I can say that I'll have no hesitation at all about engaging the TC. When pixel peeping, many shots I got hand-held yesterday at 560 f4 are entirely comparable to what I would have got with my 500 f4 FL on a tripod.
  • I tried the 2x converter for a bit but we'd lost most of the light. I took a few shots of a very distant sign on a post and I was happy at the level of detail. I took some shots of ducks but I wasn't getting critical sharpness on the eye. The light was going, I was underexposing too much for the ducks and my shutter speed probably should have been a bit higher for 800 in DX crop. I feel like this will be a very acceptable 800mm combo but that it will take me some more time to get used to what I need to do to make it work.
  • AF was very fast. Definitely the fastest I've experienced on a lens. I didn't really notice a difference between AF speed with or without the TC, both were just excellent. Surprisingly fast with the 2x converter too. I was shooting an owl display with too much direct light with owls frequently too close for a 400mm and with messy backgrounds (i.e. very far from ideal) and I had mixed results at keeping owls in focus with the Z9 tracking. If I lost focus but an owl was back in the open and I tried to reaquire it, generally the lens would snap immediately to it (I was often using wide area AF). I didn't really experience traditional lens hunting with the focus racking back and forth. It just seemed to grab on when I told it to. There were one or two times where I was trying to refocus and not a lot happened but that's on the Z9 and not the lens.
  • The lens is pretty wide down the main portion of the barrel and it's not quite as easy to operate or support as thinner lenses that taper more quickly after the front element. I found it a little tricky to fully rotate the front dial (the piano-key one) even though it only has a small rotation whilst hand-holding just because of the width. I'm happy enough that I'll get used to it with time. Those with bigger hands should have no issues. Mine are small/medium for a bloke.
  • Mounted on a Z9, the balance point is right where the lens foot meets the lens, not half-way along the lens foot. This makes the lens easier to hand-hold because more of the weight is towards you, but it makes it a little harder to mount on a gimbal head and also a little harder to carry just by grabbing the foot. I have a 15cm wimberley arca-swiss plate and with it attached centrally to the lens foot I'm having to mount it on the gimbal right at the end of the plate (nearest the camera). I haven't tried this with a 2x attached yet. I've just re-attached it more offset toward the camera and it feels ok. I'm not sure what people like Kirk or RRS will do for a foot replacement because where they usually put the arca-swiss rails on the foot will be quite far from the balance point.
  • I love the soft lens cap. Smaller and easy to take on and off and it doesn't want to turn itself inside out like the one with my 180-400mm.
  • I didn't notice anyone dying near me who might have had a pacemaker.

Overall the lens has made an excellent first impression. I love my 180-400mm and it's not an easy thing to part with (especially knowing that I'll lose the zoom) but I'm getting a whole extra stop, less weight, crazy AF speed, a slightly shorter lens (compared to 180-400mm + FTZ) and a bit more image quality. I'll try and upload a few photos sometime but I've got a lot on today!

Here are some initial impressions of this lens based on one extended session. I spent yesterday at a hawk conservancy where they do several flying demonstrations each day (mostly as family entertainment but good fun with a camera). I was also getting used to my Z9 and trying a mixture of traditional back-button focus and having different focus modes on shutter and the back-button.

• The TC mechanism is exactly the same as on the 180-400 and works very smoothly and easily. If you're using an external TC then it's much harder to reach the TC lever and Memory Set button, but the memory set is something you wouldn't be pressing in the heat of the action so that's no big deal and I'm starting to form an opinion that TC stacking (internal + external) isn't a good idea - too much loss of quality.
  • The detail at 400mm is stunning. I've previously owned the 500mm f4 FL and currently own (Will be trading) the 180-400 f4 TC and I'm happy that at 400mm f2.8 is also of a fantastic quality. I don't want to claim if it's better or by how much because I was shooting entirely hand-held and I'm not comparing like with like. I am 100% satisfied though with the detail in my initial images.
  • The detail at 560mm with the internal TC is very, very good. It's a little difficult to compare with the 400mm shots because my ISO was doubling and I wasn't allowing any extra shutter speed. I can say that I'll have no hesitation at all about engaging the TC. When pixel peeping, many shots I got hand-held yesterday at 560 f4 are entirely comparable to what I would have got with my 500 f4 FL on a tripod.
  • I tried the 2x converter for a bit but we'd lost most of the light. I took a few shots of a very distant sign on a post and I was happy at the level of detail. I took some shots of ducks but I wasn't getting critical sharpness on the eye. The light was going, I was underexposing too much for the ducks and my shutter speed probably should have been a bit higher for 800 in DX crop. I feel like this will be a very acceptable 800mm combo but that it will take me some more time to get used to what I need to do to make it work.
  • AF was very fast. Definitely the fastest I've experienced on a lens. I didn't really notice a difference between AF speed with or without the TC, both were just excellent. Surprisingly fast with the 2x converter too. I was shooting an owl display with too much direct light with owls frequently too close for a 400mm and with messy backgrounds (i.e. very far from ideal) and I had mixed results at keeping owls in focus with the Z9 tracking. If I lost focus but an owl was back in the open and I tried to reaquire it, generally the lens would snap immediately to it (I was often using wide area AF). I didn't really experience traditional lens hunting with the focus racking back and forth. It just seemed to grab on when I told it to. There were one or two times where I was trying to refocus and not a lot happened but that's on the Z9 and not the lens.
  • The lens is pretty wide down the main portion of the barrel and it's not quite as easy to operate or support as thinner lenses that taper more quickly after the front element. I found it a little tricky to fully rotate the front dial (the piano-key one) even though it only has a small rotation whilst hand-holding just because of the width. I'm happy enough that I'll get used to it with time. Those with bigger hands should have no issues. Mine are small/medium for a bloke.
  • Mounted on a Z9, the balance point is right where the lens foot meets the lens, not half-way along the lens foot. This makes the lens easier to hand-hold because more of the weight is towards you, but it makes it a little harder to mount on a gimbal head and also a little harder to carry just by grabbing the foot. I have a 15cm wimberley arca-swiss plate and with it attached centrally to the lens foot I'm having to mount it on the gimbal right at the end of the plate (nearest the camera). I haven't tried this with a 2x attached yet. I've just re-attached it more offset toward the camera and it feels ok. I'm not sure what people like Kirk or RRS will do for a foot replacement because where they usually put the arca-swiss rails on the foot will be quite far from the balance point.
  • I love the soft lens cap. Smaller and easy to take on and off and it doesn't want to turn itself inside out like the one with my 180-400mm.

Overall the lens has made an excellent first impression. I love my 180-400mm and it's not an easy thing to part with (especially knowing that I'll lose the zoom) but I'm getting a whole extra stop, less weight, crazy AF speed, a slightly shorter lens (compared to 180-400mm + FTZ) and a bit more image quality. I'll try and upload a few photos sometime but I've got a lot on today!
Thank you so much for your review , it is rich in information! I am happy that I made a good decision by ordering it! I can't wait to see your photos when you have time to post them. Take it easy we can wait!

Almost bought one - but will wait to see what the 800 PF brings

Back