The Case for LR over Classic?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

That's what I was getting at. I thought if I went LR -> PS there was no way to avoid creating something like a Tiff file to go with the original RAW file.

You are correct. The slight confusion is one of vocabulary, as in what is meant by the word open. One could go to photoshop and open a raw file, and it would simply automatically launch the ACR plug in to create the tiff or psd file. So in a way of speaking you could say photoshop opens raw files.

It's funny no one has a problem with downloading their photos. But say the word "import" and their eyes roll back in their heads. If they'd just use LRC as their tool for downloading many of the issues would go away. And honestly I have zero sympathy for people who "can't find my photos" in LRC. If they were there and now they're gone then you moved them. So where did you move them to? If you know where you moved them you simply tell LRC where they are. If you don't know where you moved them.... well.... LRC isn't the problem.

Honestly IMO the hatred of the catalog is displaced self-hatred. You screwed up. You know you did. But the catalog is a convenient scape goat to deflect the blame :mad:
My frustration with the catalog is that it limits the use of a NAS while having access to the photos through LRC on multiple computers. Yes, there are workarounds, but LRC was not designed to work that way.

I’m not saying I get 15K keepers out of 20K…far from it. What I am saying is that disk space prices being what they are…there’s no way I’m deleting 75 o4 80 percent of the images I took on a $20k trip…because I might do something with them later and drive space is cheap and limitless at this point. It’s not me saying LR is aimed at smartphone shooters…that’s Matiash’s statement and he‘s not completely out to lunch there. I’m fine with other people only keeping photos they deem worthy of processing...but that’s not me. And while agree that PS is a better overall image processor than either LR or LrC…that’s not relevant to most people since the latter is easier and does what they need. In reality you’re totally correct…the likelihood I will ever use 90% of the photos 8 took is low…but disk space is cheap and plentiful, so I see no reason to delete them. I’m not a pro though…and others mileage (including yours) obviously varies...but for me and a lot of others…going to say Africa for that cost and trashing 90% of the 8mages you took seems shortsighted…but YMMV and I’m not saying either approach is wrong. But given the price of drive space…I believe that arbitrarily deleting every photo you don’t immediately decide to process is wrong…and that’s what he’s suggesting…and then he admits he’s got 5 TB or whatever of images in the cloud…so he’s not eating his own dog food, he’s shilling for his course and saying that his way is the only possible good solution. I think that cloud based LR will end up being the only Lightroom eventually…but switching now and forgoing the features that LR lacks is foolish at this point IMO. Like you…I mostly don’t edit on a trip…but then I pay for all of my trips and it seems like you are a pro so maybe trips are a business expense…but spending 20Kmon a trip to Africa and tossing 90% of the images because I’m too cheap to put them on m6 RAID seems…not me.

For the vast majority of non pro users (well, maybe not but at least for me and I don’t think I’m alone)…the additional capabilities of PS over LR of either variety are overrated…because we don’t need them. And I’m not going to throw stones at anyone…I was just commenting on the video…Brian has clearly decided that LR is for him and I’m good with that…but then he advocates tossing 90% of the one comes home with…and I disagree with that approach…it works for him and maybe for you…but it doesn’t work…for a lot of people.
You are right - you don't have to dump any photos - it's a personal choice and there is no right or wrong. I have been there and done that - kept 90% of every shoot. I just don't have any use for anything that doesn't make the cull.

While I dislike LRc catalog system with a passion - I do think it would be unfair of Adobe to trash it for those those actually use it for DAM .
But then Adobe really is only in business to make money - just like every other business out there (as it should be.)
........... If you don't know where you moved them.... well.... LRC isn't the problem.
......You screwed up. You know you did.......

😂 😂😂😂 too true
It's a bit like driving a stick shift.

I do think it would be unfair of Adobe to trash it for those those actually use it for DAM .
But then Adobe really is only in business to make money - just like every other business out there (as it should be.)
I don't get it. Why should Adobe want to trash it?
Majority of users are happy and fancy using the catalog and I don't think Adobe is even considering that.
And most businesses are smart enough to realize that they have to keep users happy - then they really make money.

Also, to notice is that the catalog hate is not the main reason why users don't use Lightroom Classic.
It's because they don’t want to pay for or dislikes the subscription model.
This has been shown in several surveys/polls that you can find online.
Not 100% accurate as any small surveys, but at least giving a hint of what is going on.
Here is one of the latest surveys I have checked - Shotkit Survey

My frustration with the catalog is that it limits the use of a NAS while having access to the photos through LRC on multiple computers. Yes, there are workarounds, but LRC was not designed to work that way.
Images on a NAS work just fine…once it is mounted on the computer it’s just a drive like any other except for speed issues. LrC can put the catalog on the NAS as well and run it from there as long as only one computer uses it a time…but for speed purposes it’s hard to recommend that. And TBH…it’s not designed to use the same catalog on multiple computers unless it’s on a NAS or shared RAiD or drive anyway. So…either put the catalog and images on an external drive and move that around…don’t import on travel…or import and then export and import into the master catalog back home. And Matiash and others keep saying that LR doesn’t have a catalog…but it does have one…it’s just distributed into all those .xmp files it creates because since editing is non destructive the edits *have* to be stored somewhere. All the hoopla over the evils of catalogs is just nuts…its in the weeds like .ics files and .dll files and the catalog isn’t any more or less likely to be corrupted than any other file on any drive.

While I dislike LRc catalog system with a passion
But why do you hate it…sure, it has some limitations but also has advantages and I’m specifically not getting into a computer debate as this is just an illustrative example…but hating it for some obscure or no reason at all is like hating macOS or Windows for whatever reason that the other side of that debate will argue is pointless. Can you offer a good reason why you hate it…serious question because as I said I don’t understand the hate so maybe someone with the hate can explain it.

... All the hoopla over the evils of catalogs is just nuts…its in the weeds like .ics files and .dll files and the catalog isn’t any more or less likely to be corrupted than any other file on any drive.

…but hating it for some obscure or no reason at all is like hating macOS or Windows for whatever reason that the other side of that debate will argue is pointless. Can you offer a good reason why you hate it…serious question because as I said I don’t understand the hate so maybe someone with the hate can explain it.

Already explained above... :cool:

...the hatred of the catalog is displaced self-hatred. You screwed up. You know you did. But the catalog is a convenient scape goat to deflect the blame :mad:

Also, to notice is that the catalog hate is not the main reason why users don't use Lightroom Classic.
It's because they don’t want to pay for or dislikes the subscription model.
This has been shown in several surveys/polls that you can find online.
Not 100% accurate as any small surveys, but at least giving a hint of what is going on.
Here is one of the latest surveys I have checked - Shotkit Survey
Thanks for the posting the survey link, it was interesting. I was unhappy about the subscription model at first, but thus far, I believe the cost (for access to BOTH LR and PS) is reasonable, because they continue to push out new features. A lot of software is going subscription model and if (if) the price is reasonable and new features keep coming, I can live with that.

I doubt it. Nowadays it's nearly impossible to say anything without insulting somebody. But in this case I suppose I thought that the absurdity of the statement would make the humor obvious.
It did. I’ve put myself on a timeout with a cat and a glass of Stranahans. So far the cat is winning at chess and has convinced me that a Plena lens would be good for Auto Capture.

Thanks for the posting the survey link, it was interesting. I was unhappy about the subscription model at first, but thus far, I believe the cost (for access to BOTH LR and PS) is reasonable, because they continue to push out new features. A lot of software is going subscription model and if (if) the price is reasonable and new features keep coming, I can live with that.
So many people said that Adobe will never make it on the Subs model. it was quite the opposite.

Remember I said they are just in it for the money - the better they perform for us - the happier their shareholders.
It did. I’ve put myself on a timeout with a cat and a glass of Stranahans. So far the cat is winning at chess and has convinced me that a Plena lens would be good for Auto Capture.

If there is no photo - it didn't happen

There appears to be some confusion in some folks' minds on LR and LRC, and catalogs, and whether there's one catalog or many, and "subscriptions suck" and so on.

Hopefully, this video should clear this up for some. If you are for whatever reason a died-in-the-wool hater of catalogs, still watch this. Its long, but worth your time. Also, I want to say up front, I don't work for Adobe, nor are they paying me to say this.

I hope it helps you.

Because Apple has STILL not put RAW support for Nikon Z8 photos into the current version of MacOS, I have had to switch from using their "Photos" app to using Adobe Lightroom.

Being totally new to Lightroom, I have tried following this post, but found the discussion very confusing. Being a "blank slate," and having no predispositions to using either Lightroom Classic (LrC) or the new Lightroom, I chose to sign up with the new Lightroom. I have found that since I was an Apple "Photos" user, and working on my desktop (so to speak) the changes I've had to make to my workflow aren't too different from what I was used to doing in "Photos."

Today, though, I found this recent, short, YouTube video that compares over a dozen differences between the new Lightroom and LrC. It's geared more for those of you who have been using LrC and want to know what changed in the new Lightroom, but Lightroom newbies like me might also find it helpful in deciding which appp to go with.

p.s. Can anyone tell me, is there a way to select a bunch of photos and assign the same location, city and state information to them all at once? I've tried shift-clicking a bunch of photos, thinking that that would assign the location info too all at once, but I was surprised to find out later that it only assigned the location info to the one photo in the group that I had been typing in!

Last edited:
p.s. Can anyone tell me, is there a way to select a bunch of photos and assign the same location, city and state information to them all at once? I've tried shift-clicking a bunch of photos, thinking that that would assign the location info too all at once, but I was surprised to find out later that it only assigned the location info to the one photo in the group that I had been typing in!
Which photography plan did you order?
In LrC you could use the Map module and simple drag and drop photos to correct location.
In Lr you have to be in Grid View and select your photos and the assign locations etc.. - see image

1703787842440.png

I would have recommended you to go for the plan where you have Lr, LrC and PS.
Then you can try both of them.
I would also recommend starting with LrC, and then later go for Lr if the features of LrC is overkill for your type of photography.
If you need more and specific advice I also suggest to open a separate post.

Which photography plan did you order?
In LrC you could use the Map module and simple drag and drop photos to correct location.
In Lr you have to be in Grid View and select your photos and the assign locations etc.. - see image

View attachment 77359
I would have recommended you to go for the plan where you have Lr, LrC and PS.
Then you can try both of them.
I would also recommend starting with LrC, and then later go for Lr if the features of LrC is overkill for your type of photography.
If you need more and specific advice I also suggest to open a separate post.
I went with just the new Lightroom plan for $9.99/month, not Lightroom Classic.

However, based on your comment, I decided to change plans today to Adobe's "Photography Plan". Now I can play with both versions of Lightroom. Although, since I have Affinity Photo, I probably will not use Photoshop.

Last edited:
I went with just the new Lightroom plan for $9.99/month, not Lightroom Classic.

However, based on your comment, I decided to change plans today to Adobe's "Photography Plan". Now I can play with both versions of Lightroom. Although, since I have Affinity Photo, I probably will not use Photoshop.
Great choice
The next question now is:
- Do you want to upload all your photos to the cloud = Lr.
The new Local Folder is not an option since you can only search the current folder.
or
- Do you want to have your photos saved locally = LrC

Best way to make a choice is to read what Lightroom experts with insights to Adobe recommends.
Victoria Bampton (Lightroom Queen) is one of them and here is her take on Lr versus LrC:

Back