The Coyote Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

POST YOUR COYOTE (Canis latrans) PHOTOS HERE. Please specify where it was taken. I am primarily interested in wild specimens (wild includes urban environments), though captive/zoo photos that are particularly interesting are okay. If it was captive please state so.

I'm almost ashamed to post a coyote photo in this thread, there are so many images that far exceed the quality of what I'm going to post. I'm going to include a couple not because they are that good, but because of the stories associated with them.

This first photo is of a coyote in Death Valley and is a great example of why animals should not be fed in national parks. I saw this coyote in the middle of the road approximately a mile away. As I slowed I expected it to move from the road. It actually made me come to a complete stop. I pulled off the road and it circled the vehicle I was in. I had a short lens, but opened the window for a shot. It actually moved closer. I photographed it for about fifteen minutes before it grew bored and looked for someone who would feed it. That didn't take long. Another car came along, stopped on the road without pulling over, and started feeding it. A national park ranger came up behind the car within just a few minutes, was unimpressed with their parking location and feeding practices and gave them a ticket and had them move along. This was taken with a Nikon F100 in December 2000.

_DSC5349-X5.jpg

This second photo is a coyote seen within a ten-minute walk from my house in a greenbelt area of the subdivision where I live in Aurora, Colorado. This was one of a mated pair I saw together. I'm pretty sure they had a den in the greenbelt area. I've now seen multiple deer, a lone antelope, a fox, and a coyote pair in this neighborhood. This was taken with a Nikon D850 and Nikon 500mm PF with 1.4 TC in July 2023.

_DSC1957-Enhanced-NR-4K.jpg

Back