The (not so) Ubiquitous 600mm f4 Lens...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Like the OP I am also amazed by how little love 500mm f4 lenses get on photography forums. Luckily they get more love in the real world. 600/4 is praised for low light performance on a FF body, but when it come to 500mm on APS-C D500, suddenly the 500PF is more than enough, and high iso performance is supposed to solve everything, when especially on crop, f4 is of value because crop gathers less light to begin with.
I had the 500PF, but recently added a 500mm f4 for that reason.

One of the things that'll be interesting is to see the continued weight progression on the long telephotos. When Sony and Canon came out with their most recent 600mm primes they shaved nearly 2lbs off of the weight. The result is their 600s are as light or lighter than Canon and Nikon's current 500 f4 lenses (and I assume these will get lighter in the next generation as well).
Let's hope there is a next gen Nikon 600!

Like the OP I am also amazed by how little love 500mm f4 lenses get on photography forums. Luckily they get more love in the real world. 600/4 is praised for low light performance on a FF body, but when it come to 500mm on APS-C D500, suddenly the 500PF is more than enough, and high iso performance is supposed to solve everything, when especially on crop, f4 is of value because crop gathers less light to begin with.
I had the 500PF, but recently added a 500mm f4 for that reason.

Interesting perspective! I'm on the fence re: 500 vs 600 f4. I have the opportunity to buy a mint 500E f4 for $6,000 but have passed on it b/c I think I'd keep my 1.4 TC on it all the time, thereby shooting at f5.6. Consequently, I'm holding out for the 600E.

Interesting perspective! I'm on the fence re: 500 vs 600 f4. I have the opportunity to buy a mint 500E f4 for $6,000 but have passed on it b/c I think I'd keep my 1.4 TC on it all the time, thereby shooting at f5.6. Consequently, I'm holding out for the 600E.
I understand your hold out. I considered the 500 f/4 also and had the TC in hand but since I had the 500pf and on my D500 yields an effective 750mm I decided to go with the 600 f/4 E ... I have been using it so much on the D6 that I have not put it on my D500 in some time and have not had the 1.4 TC on it for over a month. Lazy I guess since the D6 and 600 f/4E are sitting in my home made padded bag and ready to zip up and go :) The bag is a Think Tank restrospective duffel and got some good 2" foam from Home Depot ...cut one piece for the bottom that curves up the sides and then a small square piece for the ends and another "panorama" cut piece that I can put over the top if I want to not worry about anything getting put on top.

Back