Thinking of a Z8, but......

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With Black Friday discounts I can get a Z8 at $400 off and a free memory card and extra battery. This is very enticing to say the least.

However, I'm trying to talk myself out of it. For one, I don't do action/fast moving object photography - ie. Birds in Flight. When I used the D500 with the 200-500mm, which I still have, I did a bit.

I now have the 180-600mm and pair it with the Z50, which works for me.

I find the Z8 a bit too large still and was considering the z7ii more for a travel camera and for wildlife - I am definitely in favor of the 45MP sensor, so I can crop and essentially have a DX body as well.

I'm hoping of course for a Z8 in a crop sensor body, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. The least is an upgraded Z7iii with better focus would fit the bill.

I'm curious to know if any Z8 owners have any regrets on the purchase, or realize that the camera isn't used to its potential, and essentially not a must upgrade Ie. As in my case don't do action/BIF and don't need fast focus.

well, it seems plausible that we’ll see a z6iii and maybe a z50ii next year and there is currently the zf. any of those choices, in addition to the z8 are all likely good and it really comes down to what attributes are important to you. attributes including if you can or can not wait

otoh. travels just peachy imo 🤣

IMG_1995.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Just buy it, life is short.

Oliver
The worst advice you will get today :p
Just buying more stuff for the sake of buying does neither help you nor anyone..

You said you do no fast action, the Z8 appears too large for you... why even think about it?
Ok, you like the potentially much better autofocus, but in order to get an idea if the Z8 will be really beneficial for you, we need at least a single specific scenario where you are unhappy with what you have. You wrote about wildlife, what specifically?

I'm writing this as someone who did wildlife photography with a z7 for 4 years and happily owns and uses the Z8 since the first day it came out (despite it still being a tad too large for my hands).

IMO reducing the Z8 to be for fast action shooters is thinging a bit short. The central questionsc are:

What do you want to do in terms of photography that you are not doing already right now ?
What of the things you already do today you would like to do better ?
Could the Z8 help you with that and - if yes - how and is the investment worth it ?

Actually I was doing the exact opposite of the topic you mentioned. I just did one whole day detail and macro work with all kinds of fungi yesterday with a Z8 and I can tell you it wasn't fast action 😃 . But the quality you can get with this camera, especially in combination with Z lenses is mind-boggling, even after I have been shooting with the D850 before. The interesting thing to me is that the Z8 brings with it quite a number of nice helping features that really makes it complete to me, allowing me to slim down from two to one body and being able to manage a number of things much easier than before.

But the invest is not only in terms of money, but also time. I made the mistake of transferring the setup of my D850 into the Z8 and thought: That's it, ready to go !
The truth is I had to learn quite a lot of new things, parts of which are not really obvious. Now, after my pro photographer friend helped me understanding the new functions much better including the configuring of the Z8 "keyboard", it's a breeze to use and really fun.

I am fully aware that currently I come not anywhere near to fully utilizing the full potential of this machine, but if I want to learn to work with new technology I need to have it in order to be able to learn how to work with it.

So yes, buying for the sake of spending money is not really clever, but depending on your ambitions buying for the sake of being able to learn new things or improve the way I do things toda is normally a good decision.

Reactions: seh
I actually bought the Z8 because it is a bigger body, as I find the Z7ii and other mirrorless bodies too small for my large hands. But if you like a smaller body, then maybe you don't need it. Not sure about Canada where you are, but here in USA the Z7ii is $700 off right now and has the same megapixel count.

Thanks everyone.....I checked out the Z8 - it's a monster in my hands. I definitely can't justify the purchase after putting some thought to it more. I travel frequently, and so I like to carry a small body and least amount of weight possible, and the Z50 is managing well. The Z6ii/Z7ii is a size I can travel with, but the Z8 I can't see myself using it on vacation with larger and heavier lens. Anyhow, hoping one day maybe Nikon issues a Z7iii, which I'd probably lean to....or better yet, a crop sensor body with some benefits of the Z8. I'm sure this idea is floating out there, and too bad Nikon can't give us a roadmap like they do with their lens. That's another thing....why so much secrecy with their camera body plans?

Bodies are “aging” much faster as lenses and guess that is the thing to hold them from making a roadmap for bodies. Furthermore, guess they not want competitors releasing an alternative before they do, especially on the higher end of the range.

Thanks everyone.....I checked out the Z8 - it's a monster in my hands. I definitely can't justify the purchase after putting some thought to it more. I travel frequently, and so I like to carry a small body and least amount of weight possible, and the Z50 is managing well. The Z6ii/Z7ii is a size I can travel with, but the Z8 I can't see myself using it on vacation with larger and heavier lens. Anyhow, hoping one day maybe Nikon issues a Z7iii, which I'd probably lean to....or better yet, a crop sensor body with some benefits of the Z8. I'm sure this idea is floating out there, and too bad Nikon can't give us a roadmap like they do with their lens. That's another thing....why so much secrecy with their camera body plans?
Wait if you can. Nikon has to release updates to the Z6/7 twins at some point, and that sounds more like what you want. Given their age, I suspect that the new models may be coming in 2024. You have a D500 right now, and it is still considered an amazing camera. You also have the Z50. I am not knocking the Z8, but unless you have funds to spend at will, it does not sound like the camera you ideally want.

Hang in there,

--Ken

4 years ago I bought a Canon 5Ds from Hong Kong that cost me A$1850. It's never given any trouble and is a better camera than I am a photographer.
Just over a year ago I bought a Canon R7 because the mirrorless lets me use the Sigma 150-600 C with a 2x extender and still have eye recognition and autofocus; it cost me A$2200.
All up the two bodies cost me a thousand dollars less than a Canon R5.
I'm still learning how to use the buttons on both bodies.
I use Canon gear because it was all the shop in Jakarta had 27 years ago and once I got lenses I stuck with Canon.
In order to satisfy my consumer induced size envy I put a Canon 1D36 Fireball XL5 RsT8 on pre order. Canon rumours suggest this will be available in 2064.

I purchased the Z8 this month thinking "Life is Short" myself. It is larger than my D500, and much larger than my Z6ii. Frankly, it is bordering on too large for my hands. The FN buttons are a stretch for me.
I am really hoping with the promised firmware update next year the AF matches the Z9 that many have raved about. The animal AF has not "wowed" me so far. The Z8 is my first 45 megapixel camera, so there is that. Perhaps the future Z7iii will be the sweet spot.

With Black Friday discounts I can get a Z8 at $400 off and a free memory card and extra battery. This is very enticing to say the least.

However, I'm trying to talk myself out of it. For one, I don't do action/fast moving object photography - ie. Birds in Flight. When I used the D500 with the 200-500mm, which I still have, I did a bit.

I find the Z8 a bit too large still and was considering the z7ii more for a travel camera and for wildlife - I am definitely in favor of the 45MP sensor, so I can crop and essentially have a DX body as well.

I'm hoping of course for a Z8 in a crop sensor body, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. The least is an upgraded Z7iii with better focus would fit the bill.

I'm curious to know if any Z8 owners have any regrets on the purchase, or realize that the camera isn't used to its potential, and essentially not a must upgrade Ie. As in my case don't do action/BIF and don't need fast focus.
Both my wife and I own a Z8. Between them, six quality/assembly problems. The mount issue, the lug issue, an LCD with so much condensation that it is unreadable, and an eye detect sensor that can't handle even a minor drizzle. I'd wait a year or so for Nikon to sort out the quality problems.

4 years ago I bought a Canon 5Ds from Hong Kong that cost me A$1850. It's never given any trouble and is a better camera than I am a photographer.
Just over a year ago I bought a Canon R7 because the mirrorless lets me use the Sigma 150-600 C with a 2x extender and still have eye recognition and autofocus; it cost me A$2200.
All up the two bodies cost me a thousand dollars less than a Canon R5.
I'm still learning how to use the buttons on both bodies.
I use Canon gear because it was all the shop in Jakarta had 27 years ago and once I got lenses I stuck with Canon.
In order to satisfy my consumer induced size envy I put a Canon 1D36 Fireball XL5 RsT8 on pre order. Canon rumours suggest this will be available in 2064.
Very similar to why I still shoot with Nikon equipment, except the store I purchased my first Nikon camera from, sold many brands, but the salesman at the store recommended Nikon for the lenses. Once I got started with Nikon, I just kept on going with Nikon.

Do what makes you comfortable. The regret of not buying is far exceeded by the regret of buying.

Nice photo. Is that DIF (dog in flight)? In my case, birds have to take up a larger portion of the viewfinder before the AF (in Animal mode, not Auto) will pick them up as compared to the performance displayed by the Z9 4.1(Steve's review among others). So fingers crossed for the new firmware.
We're hoping to see a firmware update which will bring these improved features for birds. As I type this, I'm looking at a sequence of an eagle diving and catching prey perhaps 30-40 yards away- 75 shots in total. The eagle occupied between a 1/3rd-1/2 frame in the landscape position. Nearly all were in focus except for the handful of the strike sequence itself, i.e. the exact moment that one wanted to capture when the camera grabbed onto the water for 7-8 frames before regaining focus. In that particular case, I was using wide large af area, though similar sequences shot in wide small, or 3d were likewise oof with the af preferentially grabbing the water ripples.

We're hoping to see a firmware update which will bring these improved features for birds. As I type this, I'm looking at a sequence of an eagle diving and catching prey perhaps 30-40 yards away- 75 shots in total. The eagle occupied between a 1/3rd-1/2 frame in the landscape position. Nearly all were in focus except for the handful of the strike sequence itself, i.e. the exact moment that one wanted to capture when the camera grabbed onto the water for 7-8 frames before regaining focus. In that particular case, I was using wide large af area, though similar sequences shot in wide small, or 3d were likewise oof with the af preferentially grabbing the water ripples.
I think group AF is the solution until the Z8 gets Bird.
Wide box, the moment it has water in the frame, it’s forgetting its subject detection, and the water is the closest thing to the AF.
While group AF if you pan along, you should be better.
My opinion

I think group AF is the solution until the Z8 gets Bird.
Wide box, the moment it has water in the frame, it’s forgetting its subject detection, and the water is the closest thing to the AF.
While group AF if you pan along, you should be better.
My opinion
Do you mean dynamic AF?

I don’t believe waiting for the next new release ever really works. It’s frustrating and you’ll wait forever.
i had a Z6 for about 4 years, so when the Z8 was announced, and having read a million reviews, I made the purchase. I’m a general shooter, occasionally fast birds, animals, travel photos etc etc, but I like new things. It’s called GAS. And gas attacks must be resolved.
Just keep in mind that nothing is perfect. The camera certainly has its flaws, but it’s ahead of the Z6 in so many ways that I’m 1000% pleased I have it.

Back