Thinking of a Z8, but......

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Waiting for the next new tech is a no win game. The day after the "next big thing" comes out, there are rumors of the next-next big thing. If there are shortcomings from your current gear, identify those shortcomings, the types of photography you engage in and then pick the best tech that meets your needs today. Now, if the Z7iii or some other updated gear had already been announced, then wait but with no firm announcement or real specs announced, it is kind of like waiting for a ghost to come by. If the Z8 doesn't meet your needs, then stick with what you have or find one that does.

A friend once told me this about GAS "Gear Acquisition Syndrome". While his advice was related to guitar gear, it is just as relevant with cameras. "When you think you just have to get the newest shiny thing, wait 6 months to see if you still really want it. If, after a sufficient cooling period you still want it and you can afford it without taking food off the table, buy it."

Last edited:
....or better yet, a crop sensor body with some benefits of the Z8.
Why? I used crop sensor Nikons since 2005 until the launch of the Z6 circa late 2018. The reasons were that I liked the smaller, lighter crop-sensor bodies, plus the fact that they were less expensive than full frame cameras.
When the Z6 was introduced I compared it to my D7500 that I was using at the time. For the first time here was a full frame camera that had similar size and weight as the crop-sensor D7500. More expensive, yes, but at that point the price was the only issue to consider. Most of the other factors that had kept me buying crop cameras had disappeared with the Z6. I then traded the D7500 in on the Z6 and never looked back. I was then, and still am, amazed at the dynamic range, low noise and smooth, creamy image quality from the Z6 compared to the D7500. There is no comparison.

The reason I ask the question of why you want a new crop sensor camera when there are full frame cameras available today that will consistently produce better quality images without necessarily the penalty of size and weight. And if I shoot my Z8 in crop mode it will produce a pretty decent 19MP image of similar quality as a D7500 or Z50. I have seen quite a few posts here where crop-sensor users ask for a new, better mirrorless crop-sensor camera. I get that they may want that if price is the main reason. Other than that, full frame in my opinion is better. If you don't need the better autofocus for fast-moving wildlife or the fast frame rate that goes with that, the Z7II should be excellent for your needs.

I am a photography addict. It's my main hobby and I need to shoot regularly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. ;)
I shoot mostly wildlife and then landscapes. Wildlife is more abundant and I can do that relatively often without travelling a lot since birds are everywhere. For landscapes, most times I have to get in the car and go somewhere for that good shot. The Z6 was as good as my D7500 for both these kinds of photography so it was a suitable replacement for the D7500. Since I went mirrorless, though, I realized I was missing out on getting many good images of fast-moving wildlife. I became more interested in action wildlife photography and that's why I traded the Z6II on the Z8. I guess what I'm trying to say here is if you're as passionate with your wildlife photography as I am, the Z8 (or a camera with similar capabilities) becomes a necessity. Otherwise the Z7II should be quite adequate. I do suspect that the successors to the Z6II and Z7II will be much more capable cameras than the ones they replace, and they will likely be pretty good for fast-moving wildlife as well.

Last edited:
The best advise you will get today

I replied in a hurry, please allow me to elaborate.

$400 off the MSRP is a very cheesy deal! I would grab it in a hurry.

The Z8 has a better engine, which will drive the lens faster, the higher MP resolves more details.

Even just for landscape photos, you will benefit from the bigger pixel pitch: Z8 -4.35µm vs Z50 -4.2 µm.

As for the body, compared to D5 or D850, the Z8 is feather-light.

Oliver

PS: pictures for attention; these are slow-moving subjects.

_BRC3745-1waves169CropFB.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_CAP6976FishJumpFB.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back