Thinktank photo modular belt

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was told about this system from a good friend that's a member on here and decided to give it a try. This is one of the best purchases I have made as far as non camera gear. It provides the freedom to move about and provides a very good amount of storage whenever not wanting to go out with a larger bag or backpack. I can fit just about anything I need including spare lenses and have both hands free. I found a set of these used on eBay and purchased a couple other bags to go with it. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting a simple solution for carrying gear in the field. I find the belt not to be cumbersome at all and it stays put without sliding down. It is also very customizable as to where you place the bags/pouches.

IMG_0680.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_0681.JPG

I wear a tac belt with a couple lens cases and a pouch to hold phone and extra batteries, lens wipes, etc. I'll have to look into this. I didn't know there was one like this. ||Not sure I like the plastic buckles but looks like the buckle sis removable and could be swapped out for a Cobra buckle.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I wear a tac belt with a couple lens cases and a pouch to hold phone and extra batteries, lens wipes, etc. I'll have to look into this. I didn't know there was one like this. ||Not sure I like the plastic buckles but looks like the buckle sis removable and could be swapped out for a Cobra buckle.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Yes sir it has notch’s and each pouch has a plastic tab that slips down into them. The kit I bought has a water bottle holder as well which is really nice. I got the entire set for $104 off eBay like new. I’ve barely taken anything else out since getting it.

Yes sir it has notch’s and each pouch has a plastic tab that slips down into them. The kit I bought has a water bottle holder as well which is really nice. I got the entire set for $104 off eBay like new. I’ve barely taken anything else out since getting it.
I will check it out. Here is the rig I carry. I have 2 belts. One longer than the other so I can carry over heavy winter coats and the shorter one adjusts short enough that I can carry in summer with just a shirt. I'll have to look on Think Tank's site to see how much adjustment their belts have. Maybe I can narrow down to just one belt. I guess you haven't had any problems yet with the plastic buckle? I had a belt with a plastic buckle and after a couple years, one of the tabs broke. Fortunately it was when I was putting it on so nothing crashed to the ground. I went to "Cobra" buckles which are all metal.

Thanks for sharing this.
Jeff
IMG_4416.jpeg

I will check it out. Here is the rig I carry. I have 2 belts. One longer than the other so I can carry over heavy winter coats and the shorter one adjusts short enough that I can carry in summer with just a shirt. I'll have to look on Think Tank's site to see how much adjustment their belts have. Maybe I can narrow down to just one belt. I guess you haven't had any problems yet with the plastic buckle? I had a belt with a plastic buckle and after a couple years, one of the tabs broke. Fortunately it was when I was putting it on so nothing crashed to the ground. I went to "Cobra" buckles which are all metal.

Thanks for sharing this.
Jeff
View attachment 82003
Looks pretty similar

I also keep a couple of the extra pouches on my backpack waist straps which is a mindshift backpack. I keep the most used items accessible and it makes it so much nicer not having to remove the backpack every time I need something.
IMG_0687.jpeg

I just purchased a TT modular belt rig (with the suspenders) and a few of the bags that hang off it. Really looks useful and very well designed and built. I can't wait to try it out as the weather warms here in the northern Midwest!

Yep, ThinkTankPhoto belt and lens and accessory cases are very helpful. When I shot weddings this system saved me over 8-10 hour days. TT even makes a shoulder harness that helps distribute the weight as I'd carry all my lenses and flashes for the day on this system for two bodies.

Thanks for sharing this.
Jeff
View attachment 82003
I never found the plastic buckles on the TT belt to be an issue with years of use as a wedding photographer. TT has a padded belt option which is what I had, not sure if the straight belt would cut in at all, depends on where you cinch it I suppose and what you're wearing underneath. But I like your idea...

I was told about this system from a good friend that's a member on here and decided to give it a try. This is one of the best purchases I have made as far as non camera gear. It provides the freedom to move about and provides a very good amount of storage whenever not wanting to go out with a larger bag or backpack. I can fit just about anything I need including spare lenses and have both hands free. I found a set of these used on eBay and purchased a couple other bags to go with it. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting a simple solution for carrying gear in the field. I find the belt not to be cumbersome at all and it stays put without sliding down. It is also very customizable as to where you place the bags/pouches.

View attachment 81941View attachment 81942
I bought one for those times when I'm required to wear an identification vest at a football game. I found that it keeps sliding down my hips and I need to keep pulling it up. Or maybe between hauling a heavy Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and water bottle I'm trying to carry too much weight. Finally tightened it way up on my lower chest. But I still prefer using an old-school Domke photo vest. Much more comfortable for me. But if the belt works for you, great!

I prefer having everything in front or behind me to make for a slimmer profile and avoid hitting other people in a confided space or catching on brush outdoors. I often make use of my Domke photographers jacket or a British hunting jacket. The hunting jackets have large front pockets designed to hold a box of shotgun shells but also can hold lenses and other items.

For the rear I have used a fanny pack, the LowePro Sideline Shooter bag that has been discontinued. A similar bag being sold is the Moment MTW Fanny Sling. It is an OK fanny bag but better are the ones that hold a water bottle like the fanny or waist packs made for use by people with mountain bikes. What I like about the Mountainsmith bags is their use of a yellow nylon liner that makes it far easier to find small black bits of photo kit inside.

Mountain Smith waist bag.JPG

I bought one for those times when I'm required to wear an identification vest at a football game. I found that it keeps sliding down my hips and I need to keep pulling it up. Or maybe between hauling a heavy Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and water bottle I'm trying to carry too much weight. Finally tightened it way up on my lower chest. But I still prefer using an old-school Domke photo vest. Much more comfortable for me. But if the belt works for you, great!
Update. I wore my Think Tank belt with a pouch holding a small spare lens and a roll of gaffer's tape. It worked well. So I think my problem with the belt staying up was trying to carry too much heavy stuff like the large 70-200 f2.8 lens.

Update. I wore my Think Tank belt with a pouch holding a small spare lens and a roll of gaffer's tape. It worked well. So I think my problem with the belt staying up was trying to carry too much heavy stuff like the large 70-200 f2.8 lens.
I carry a second body with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 in a pouch on the belt. It has been decades since I had a waist smaller than my hips, so I went to the suspender system. Happy with the choice.

For something with real MOLLE attachment Google battle belt. You can get about size MOLLE pouch you can think of. Some of the padded water bottle pouches are great for lenses. It let's you build a nice custom rig.

For something with real MOLLE attachment Google battle belt. You can get about size MOLLE pouch you can think of. Some of the padded water bottle pouches are great for lenses. It let's you build a nice custom rig.
Mine is a Wolf Tactical brand belt. Marketed mainly as police or military. Has MOLLE loops. Good belt, little stiff making on the fly length adjustments a little more difficult than some other belts I've owned. The stiffness of the belt does, however, keep it from sagging when lenses and camera are attached.

There were a lot of other brands out there. One criteria I have is the buckles need to be COBRA style metal buckles or at least the plastic buckles that come with most of them need to be replaceable. most of the pricier ones are replaceable. (The Think Tank ones in the opening post are replaceable. I reached out to their customer service to confirm. I have had the plastic clip buckles break and usually at the worst possible time).
Jeff

I used a TT belt for a while. I liked it with their small square-ish bags (Chimp Cage and such). It was good with small bodies, but I was using it at a time when I was gravitating towards larger FF DSLRs, so it only got used with my E-410, and that camera was small enough that any bag was good. Larger bodies (like my 5D Mk2) just didn’t work well… they hung too far away from the body, making the belt floppy. Especially if you used anything larger than a 100/2.8.

I’ve been considering picking a belt up again, because my cameras are smaller these days. My Zf, 26/2.8, 40/2, and 85/1.8 would be a perfect fit.

I used a TT belt for a while. I liked it with their small square-ish bags (Chimp Cage and such). It was good with small bodies, but I was using it at a time when I was gravitating towards larger FF DSLRs, so it only got used with my E-410, and that camera was small enough that any bag was good. Larger bodies (like my 5D Mk2) just didn’t work well… they hung too far away from the body, making the belt floppy. Especially if you used anything larger than a 100/2.8.

I’ve been considering picking a belt up again, because my cameras are smaller these days. My Zf, 26/2.8, 40/2, and 85/1.8 would be a perfect fit.
I carry mostly gear and smaller lenses and keep my camera bodies on the cotton carrier vest. They work really well together.

TT has a rig/harness (thinks it’s called a Pixel racing harness) that goes over your shoulders to hold the belt up - works great!

Last edited:
I carry mostly gear and smaller lenses and keep my camera bodies on the cotton carrier vest. They work really well together.

I like harnesses for bigger gear, cause a DSLR size body on your hip gets real swing-y. I can imagine that a small body on a harness is very comfortable.

On long hikes, I find a belt pack can be a bit obnoxious if it’s in the way of your arms, but the feeling of having zero weight on your shoulders is fantastic. Balanced well, a belt pack just feels like you did an extra mile at the end of the day.

Back