Thoughts on a 2nd Camera Body to compliment my Z9 (Another Z9 or go with a Z8)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NLK Photos

Nancy K
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have the z9 and D850 as a back-up. As I get more Z lens and plan to retire my D850 to my 18 year old granddaugher, I want to upgrade to another Z camera. Obviously andother Z9 would easiest with copying settings and knowledge BUT are there benefits and thoughts about getting the z8 instead (besides cost). Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Most of the time with my Nikon cameras I had to deal with different controls layouts and it slowed me down. It was great when for a brief period with the D500, D5, and D850 where the controls were closer in their layouts. With the D850 cameras I always used the battery grips and EN-EL18 batteries. I never needed to carry additional batteries in the field and a single battery would last all day and often for 2-3 days.

When looking at the Sony cameras one thing I disliked was their use of small batteries on par with the Nikon EN-EL15 battery. So I went with the Z9 instead. I find it much more comfortable to hold the grip of the Nikon pro cameras and did not like at all the D750 that was too small to hold for extended periods of time. If I had smaller hands the opposite might be true.

I often have two cameras and one with a prime lens mounted and the other with a zoom lens. Having two identical cameras makes this easier.

There is also the aspect of functionality. For a D5/D6 the D850 was OK as it was a full frame camera. The DX D500 was not a good backup camera if my FX camera failed.

Nikon is not synchronizing camera firmware functions and so the Z9 may have features that for a period of time are not available for the Z8. This is not good for someone using both cameras on outings.

I have both the Z8 and Z9. I love my Z9s for the battery life and bigger body but equally like the Z8. The Z8 is the camera that goes with me when I travel for work as it is a more compact body but still very nice to hold on to. I will not mix a Z8 and Z9 on my travels as they use different batteries and thus do I need to carry an extra charger and 2 different kind of batteries. I am not a fan of transferring my photos from body to the laptop via a USB connection so in case of the Z8 do I also need an SD card reader in case the CF Express card is full.
Hope this can help.

I rented a Z8 to take with my Z9 for a shoot Thursday.
My wife used it for the most part.
It arrived reset to factory, and took about half an hour to set it to my likings.
I had zero issues throughout the day switching back and forth Z9 with 800 pf, and Z8 with 400 4.5 and TC 1.4.
I do like the Z9 for my bigger hands and feels much better with the 800PF, That said, the Z8 was really nice and nimble with the 400 4.5.
I will more than likely buy one as all my f mount bodies are gone. Only a few lenses left to sell.

On my next trip I'm photographing Brown Bears, Bald Eagles (up close diving) and Gray Owls with babies.... so I'm definitely going to need 2 set-ups. and 2 different lens.

I have the z9 and D850 as a back-up. As I get more Z lens and plan to retire my D850 to my 18 year old granddaugher, I want to upgrade to another Z camera. Obviously andother Z9 would easiest with copying settings and knowledge BUT are there benefits and thoughts about getting the z8 instead (besides cost). Thanks in advance for your thoughts

I was quite hesitant taking the move to Z and my friend (retired pro photographer now doing nature fulltime) had the Z9 already quite some time and got the Z8 as second body when it came out. When I asked him which way to go, he said to me "If the Z8 had been available earlier, I would have two of these now rather than a Z9 and a Z8". Hearing this from someone having used the single digit pro bodies in DSLR times for decades was a clear message to me. I was using a D4s and a gripped D850 myself and I enjoy the compactness of the Z8 very much. Of course battery life is an issue with EN-EL15 in a Z versus EN-EL18 in a DSLR, but at least for stationary work in a hide or tent I made positive experience just hanging my power bank on the tripod and keep it connected to the Z8 - sometimes for hours. One of the things I also like is this grip not getting in the way when doing makro or generally wanting to work really close to the ground. Even with the L frame underneath you gain some height and this can really make a difference.

So, from this perspective it would be tempting to have a second Z8 - if I forget about finance for a second ;). But there is still the physics of light and looking at SNR and Dynamic range versus ISO I am really curious for the upcoming new Z6 III as secondary body, because from what is known so far it should be really close to the Z8 in terms of ergonomics and UI including buttons etc. while being ever so slightly more compact and using a sensor with less resolution. 45 MP is not always needed and despite all modern software tweaks the safest way to great Hi ISO performance is more surface per pixel. There's a good reason why cameras like the good old D4s is still causing headache for the newer cameras in terms of SNR level and retaining Dynamic Range at Hi ISO :) .

When I first got my Z9, I did not want to buy a second one, given its size and weight. I used it with a Z7II. It worked, although it was not an ideal pairing for wildlife, given the differences in controls, AF and FPS.

When the Z8 came out, I got one. As others have noted, I might have gotten 2 Z8s instead of a Z9 and Z8 if the Z8 had come out first or at the same time as the Z9.

I find that the Z9 and Z8 are similar enough for me that they pair well together (much better than a Z9 and Z7II). I tend to have both set up with a lens. If walking/hiking, I carry them on two Blackrapid straps. The addition of bird ID to the Z8 (the Z9 got that first) and AF area cycling to the Z9 (the Z8 got that first) in the most recent firmware has allowed me to set the two cameras up and operate them in a very similar way. Of course, there are still some differences (e.g., the Z8 has pixel shift now and the Z9 does not; but that difference is not really an issue for wildlife shooting).

As to the Z8 -- I like the smaller size and weight. It's great for my kayak and canoe; hiking; traveling.

As to the Z9 -- I like the greater battery capacity, the built-in GPS, the fact that it has two CFe card slots, and the fact that it has 3 customizable buttons on the front of the camera (where the Z8 only has two).

Both are great cameras. Not really a wrong choice. Good luck.

i use a z8 as a backup to my z9 and am very happy with it. imo the big thing is to have the same basic af system. previously i had a z6ii, and while it’s a nice camera, i found the differences in the af system problematic, especially in back to back use.

i do find it is handy having a different sized body. the only real downside imo is needing different batteries and chargers

the rumored z6iii is probably also a good candidate when it surfaces

As to the Z9 -- I like the greater battery capacity, the built-in GPS, the fact that it has two CFe card slots, and the fact that it has 3 customizable buttons on the front of the camera (where the Z8 only has two).

Yup, perfectly agree. But thanks to the FW 2.0 features and @Steve sharing his ideas for getting the thing set up I found a way that works really nice for me now, even with two Fn buttons :). The GPS would be nice, but doens't put additional load on the battery ???

And thanks for reminding me to something else ! I postponed the changing to a near insurance for my gear until the migrationb to Z will be completed. But after you are talking about having you Z's on kayaks and canoes I immediately realized that I forgot about actually completing the task :)

I used to use two different camera bodies but after getting the Z8 I decided to get another Z8 and use the same camera bodies. I really like having the same camera since I now don't have to say, "O, that's right, I'm on XYZ camera now." It's a lot easier if they are the same.

Yup, perfectly agree. But thanks to the FW 2.0 features and @Steve sharing his ideas for getting the thing set up I found a way that works really nice for me now, even with two Fn buttons :). The GPS would be nice, but doens't put additional load on the battery ???

And thanks for reminding me to something else ! I postponed the changing to a near insurance for my gear until the migrationb to Z will be completed. But after you are talking about having you Z's on kayaks and canoes I immediately realized that I forgot about actually completing the task :)
The GPS does use more battery power when engaged. I have not found this to be a big issue, at least if I am in circumstances where I can recharge after a day’s shooting. And I always have an extra battery, or sometimes two, along.

If I recall, Steve may have commented on GPS power use in a video or post.

I used to use two different camera bodies but after getting the Z8 I decided to get another Z8 and use the same camera bodies. I really like having the same camera since I now don't have to say, "O, that's right, I'm on XYZ camera now." It's a lot easier if they are the same.

Yes, that was always my problem in the past. Somebody who shoots regularly or on a day to day basis might get used to it, but If - like in my case - one is forced to have longer breaks it is always a mess if you get mixed up with buttons, menus, ...

Although for an amatuer it is pure luxury to have two Z8 I would love to be able to go this way, but let's see what the Z6III will look and feel like. Maybe it's close enough and so much cheaper that it is worth the differences :)

I will have a look and hopefully this doensnot only apply to the Z9 internal module, but also to an external one, that might be availbale somewhere for the Z8.
As this is provided as a camera firmware update I’m certain it applies only to the internal GNSS module, as stated in the notes on the download page.

One of each myself…weight was the reason and I’ve considered selling the 9 for a second 8. I put the heavier lens on the Z8. Battery life with the Z8 has never been an issue for me, and a couple spares in my pocket re still lighter than the Z9 amd the extra battery I carry for it as well. The buttons below the LCD don’t get used by me anyway…so no loss there either.

I am seriously considering selling/swapping my Z9 for a second Z8 for weight purposes and because I almost never shoot portrait format shots and have exactly zero interest in a grip at all…if the Z8 and Z9 had been introduced at a the same time I would have Z8s.

Last edited:
Reactions: GER
People have mentioned that the Z8 is lighter for hiking and travel, which is true. While I don't worry about the wight, I do sometimes care about the physical presence of a pro body. It is fine when I[m on snowshoes in the backcountry etc, but in crowded souks and markets in cities around the world, it can draw unwanted attention. I never use an OEM strap with a brand name emblazoned on it either for that reason. I traded the Z7ii for the Z8 to simplify what I had to remember about settings and controls, AND to get a less noticeable unit to carry with me in situations where the humans outnumber the wildlife.

I own the Z8 and Z9. Want to trade the Z8 plus cash for another Z9!

I believe (know for a fact) that my Z9 can handle the bright white better than my Z8 - example, a mature bald eagle head.
Z8 has a wimpy battery supply and twin storage slots that don't match. (mentioned above, repeated) I miss the 3rd command button.

My only squawk about the Z9 is that damn file card door - it is heck to open and total insulting if you have gloves on. Z9, the real deal

Back