Three Small Lessons with my Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BillW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There small items I noticed with my Z9.

I was using the Z9 with the 100-400 mm Z mount lens in Yellowstone last month (with and without the 1.4x Z TC). Great lens. I kept noticing that the aperture often changed to a smaller number. One time all the way to f45. I thought this was odd, as the front command dial (which I use for aperture when shooting manual with auto ISO) is not that easy to turn. I just discovered the problem. In my custom settings, F2, the lens dial was set to change aperture. I think this is a default setting, as I do not recall changing it. I turned this dial off, as it seems too easy to change unintentionally.

I have also been setting up the recall shooting function, applied to the lens button. This worked fine on the 100-400 and I set it for both lens buttons. But it was not working on my 500 mm PF. It turns out that you need to set the physical switch on the 500 mm PF lens barrel to AF-L in order for the lens button to be set by the camera custom settings. Brad Hill gently pointed this out to me when I said I could not get RSF to work with the lens buttons on the 500 mm PF. It is mentioned in the Nikon manual for the 500 mm PF, but is easy to miss.

Recall shooting functions will change AF areas, but not AF modes. So in a landscape bank set to AF-S and pinpoint, RSF would not allo;w me to change to AF-C and wide area in a single button press (for unexpected action). It did still change shutter speed and frame rate, leaving me with 1/3200, 20 fps, AF-S and pinpoint, an odd combination. I may go to AF-C and single point for my landscape bank if I want to use RSF.

In my custom settings, F2, the lens dial was set to change aperture. I think this is a default setting, as I do not recall changing it. I turned this dial off, as it seems too easy to change unintentionally.

yes, this appears to be the default. i’ve disabled it as well. it’s funny it seems like every review talks about this neat feature and i’m always like “do you even shoot?!” 🤣 i suppose there are people that never bump anything they don’t intend, but i’m not one of them 😆

I had a similar experience with the 100-400 control ring. I set mine to exposure compensation, and during initial field use could not understand why the EVF on my Z6ii was sooooo dark. Wasn't until much later in the day that I discovered that it was the control ring that had inadvertently got bumped/turned. Once I started viewing the images on my computer, I discovered that many of my captures had exposure compensation all over the place. I disabled it! Nice feature on paper, but poor in practice given it's location and the ease with which it can be inadvertently turned.

I only use AFS for landscapes and macro. Otherwise I keep the camera in AFC only, the Z9 included.

You can turn off AF options in Custom settings [set a9 to Continuous AF]. I only allow AFS in the Custom bank(s) dedicated for landscapes and macro.

Last edited:
...the lens dial was set to change aperture. I think this is a default setting, as I do not recall changing it. I turned this dial off, as it seems too easy to change unintentionally.
I don't yet own any S lenses but have wondered about the practicality of this feature. Your experience confirms my suspicions.

...Recall shooting functions will change AF areas, but not AF modes. So in a landscape bank set to AF-S and pinpoint, RSF would not allo;w me to change to AF-C and wide area in a single button press (for unexpected action). It did still change shutter speed and frame rate, leaving me with 1/3200, 20 fps, AF-S and pinpoint, an odd combination. I may go to AF-C and single point for my landscape bank if I want to use RSF.
Same old issue which led many of us to use BBF in the first place. I have AF-S "turned off" as I've done on all my DSLRs and rely on the old method of focus and take my thumb off the button in situations when AF-S is desired. That ensures I'm never caught out in AF-S mode when a burst shooting situation comes up. Happened one too many times and AF-S has been turned off ever since. For years....

I also have the control ring on the z 100-400 set to EVF on my Z6II ... I have not used the combo a lot but did notice today when I had it on my black rapids strap that it could get bumped and moved. I do not have that problem when shooting since I am the old target shooter who rests the tripod foot in the palm of my hand on all my long lenses ... besides stability for "my" style of shooting it helps keep me from inadvertently hitting the manual focus ring and now the lens control ring.

Follow up.... rechecking my AF setups in the Custom shooting banks showed up a bug.... if the focus mode is set to AFS, then this still applies if the Custom bank is switched to another set to AFC only... scrolling modes still shows Pinpoint mode in place of 3D even though the top screen icon indicates AFS but EVF says AFC but with Pinpoint.
Switching the camera Off then On sets the AF Modes & Areas to what they should be.

Firmware 1.11

I only use AFS for landscapes and macro. Otherwise I keep the camera in AFC only, the Z9 included.

You can turn off AF options in Custom settings [set a9 to Continuous AF]. I only allow AFS in the Custom bank(s) dedicated for landscapes and macro.

There small items I noticed with my Z9.

I was using the Z9 with the 100-400 mm Z mount lens in Yellowstone last month (with and without the 1.4x Z TC). Great lens. I kept noticing that the aperture often changed to a smaller number. One time all the way to f45. I thought this was odd, as the front command dial (which I use for aperture when shooting manual with auto ISO) is not that easy to turn. I just discovered the problem. In my custom settings, F2, the lens dial was set to change aperture. I think this is a default setting, as I do not recall changing it. I turned this dial off, as it seems too easy to change unintentionally.

I have also been setting up the recall shooting function, applied to the lens button. This worked fine on the 100-400 and I set it for both lens buttons. But it was not working on my 500 mm PF. It turns out that you need to set the physical switch on the 500 mm PF lens barrel to AF-L in order for the lens button to be set by the camera custom settings. Brad Hill gently pointed this out to me when I said I could not get RSF to work with the lens buttons on the 500 mm PF. It is mentioned in the Nikon manual for the 500 mm PF, but is easy to miss.

Recall shooting functions will change AF areas, but not AF modes. So in a landscape bank set to AF-S and pinpoint, RSF would not allo;w me to change to AF-C and wide area in a single button press (for unexpected action). It did still change shutter speed and frame rate, leaving me with 1/3200, 20 fps, AF-S and pinpoint, an odd combination. I may go to AF-C and single point for my landscape bank if I want to use RSF.

WOW, amazing tips thank you..........

My application to enter Harvard was declined, they said they don't provide courses in science covering "how to use a mirror less computer to scan images, they only cover arts, arts history, and the art of photography using a camera" LOL

So much to learn, remember, do and don't do.......

My gosh what a talented bunch of technicians we are becoming, to use these state of the art scanners you need to really become masterful it seems..

I wonder if they will come out with a voice activated command feature like Siri that you can change settings by voice.

Happy Days

Back