Totally Confused Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i wouldn't sweat it. yah, there's a learning curve, but the d850 is a complex camera too.

you don't need to know how to do EVERYTHING to operate it. you can get the basics down and expand as you go.

quite frankly after a couple of years of owning the z9, there's a ton of stuff i would have to go look up to figure out how to do, but the realty is, i don't need to because they're things i don't need to change or use.

when i first got my d500, i literally couldn't get an image in focus for DAYS. i, too, feared i had made a terrible mistake. it turned out to be something dumb, i don't even remember what, but i went on to love that camera and i used the heck out of it for many years.
I'm about ten years older than these fellas who are expressing concerns and can confirm that your comments hit the nail on the head. I don't find the camera intimidating because I feel that I
should be concerned only about the features I am going to use regularly and learn the other shortcuts and features as I need them. It is just a simple progression: learn, practice, execute and move on.

Trying to learn everything at once is like trying to drink from a fire hose, but learning at a pace that supports what you are trying to do is not a problem. Practice and learn to understand what the functions do (and why) and it becomes much easier to remember what, and when to do it. Most of all DO NOT become intimidated by the camera.---it is merely a tool and you are its master, though it is certainly can be a complicated tool. You made a wise choice in purchasing this camera so apply the same judgement and attitude towards learning to operate it. Like John Navitsky said above, there is nothing wrong with going back and refreshing your memory on what you've already learned if you are not using that feature often.

It's fun to learn new things so pls approach learning the Z8 as a fun project and enjoy the ride.

Wow - that’s kind of condescending, isn’t it? For the record, what you suggested doing “first” is exactly what I explained that I did. Initial set up was done to mimic the 850 and progress from there. My problem wasn’t setting up the Z. I followed Steve’s suggestions. My problem was understanding and remembering what the functions did and where the engage/disengage switches were parked . I’m 75 and may have lost a step, but I’m not stupid.
I don't think so. In pretty much everything we do, there are shortcuts and tips to be shared. And some people may need more assistance than others. I think kindness and helpfulness is an important trait. We all need help of one kind or another. I ate up Steve's book on the Z8 and in it he is doing just what was suggested as an aid to those who want or needed help. It's a kindness that one can do. Besides, I love seeing how others set up their camera and explanation as to why. I have adopted the tips that I can use. How is that looking down on others?

There are just too many options in every section of the menu for my 75yr old brain to retain.
I've got you beat young fella and I completely understand your pain. What these young folks don't realize is that from age 25 on we lose approximately 10,000 brain cells a day (and they're not replaced) -- theirs too will gradually run out. The menus on my Olympus cameras are very convoluted and confusing and the manual isn't much better; I've found that YouTube videos by several experienced users are the best learning tool.

Hi Folks,

I also broke out & bought a Z8 & was steeting it up according to Steves Z8 & Z9 wildlife instruction . I got as far as Viewfinder Display Size (photo Lv I ended up clicking all the options & I cant get menu now. Took out battery & still no good. Any help would be appreciated . I saw somewhere another book mentioned but can find it now.

Best wishes

Noel

Hi Folks,

I also broke out & bought a Z8 & was steeting it up according to Steves Z8 & Z9 wildlife instruction . I got as far as Viewfinder Display Size (photo Lv I ended up clicking all the options & I cant get menu now. Took out battery & still no good. Any help would be appreciated . I saw somewhere another book mentioned but can find it now.

Best wishes

Noel
Do you mean the Menu won’t display on the rear LCD screen when you press the cameras’ ‘Menu’ button?

Last edited:
Any help would be appreciated .
Have you tried pressing the display selector on the side of the viewfinder housing? If you've selected Viewfinder Only you won't be able to see anything on the rear panel LCD. If you press that selector switch one or more times you should be able to cycle back to showing the rear panel display unless you've unchecked all of the rear panel options in the menu.

[edit]If pressing the button on the side of the EVF housing doesn't bring the rear panel LCD back to life you may have to hold the camera up and look through the EVF then press the menu button and navigate to the display settings options all while looking through the EVF. Once you re-select the appropriate display options you should be able to use the camera and rear display normally and cycle through the options using the button on the side of the EVF housing.

Last edited:
Hi all.

I have just ordered a Z8 to replace my D850 and have started some pre reading including Steves Z8 & Z9 Setup Guide For Wildlife Photography to get some idea on setup & usage.

Unfortunately, at the moment I am thinking I have just made a mistake and have ordered a rather complex super computer rather than a camera.

That notwithstanding can people clarify the difference between the i Menu and My Menu please?

They seem to fulfill a similar if not the same function: that is providing shortcuts to frequently used menu items.

Thanks in advance.
Just go through Steve's guide carefully and thoughtfully. If I can do it you can. I went from a D810 to a Z7II and yes, there were things I had to get used to like the EVF but I love it because I can see how my settings will affect my image right in the EVF. I recently got the Z8 as it was on sale. Yes, it's a bit different than the Z7II but I'm going through the set up guide as you are. I really don't have too many thoughts about My Menu or the banks. I know Steve mentioned in his book that if you save a bank, use it and change the setting it will default to that new setting when using it again. He has a work around for that. Personally, I do pet photography. I will shoot outdoors and I also do studio. There's not a whole lot of settings I change for even switching from outdoor to studio, basically shutter speed, aperture, set white balance to flash (which is really the same as daylight) and for the Z7II turn off apply settings to live view for EVF. Although I understand with the Z8 all I have to do is put the flash or flash trigger on the hot shoe and it automatically turns off the apply settings to live view for the EVF which is really nice. So, I personally just use the i menu to do things. I may start using those buttons on the lenses too but not sure yet what I want to do with those and that's okay. I may try something and then change it. I suppose ladies are known for that, lol.

To @RickW I know the Z8 is a bit more hefty than like the Z7II but it's a bit lighter than my D810 and the profile is smaller which makes it easier to pack. I will retire the D810 from my pet photography as it sure was tiring bringing it along with a couple of lenses for backup in case something happened to my Z7II. Now I can ditch the D810 and those lenses from my pack. My back is appreciative. And Rick you are ahead of me on the learning curve. Your advice is great. A number of years ago when I volunteered with 4H we did a Digital Photography project with the kids. We took one thing at a time, learned it and moved on to the next thing. We always encouraged the kids to practice and try all the settings to experiment to see what they do. We did the same.

@Paul T keep at it. Don't give up. I'm learning the Z8 right along with you. I'm no spring chicken. LOL

Back