Transporting wildlife photography gear on a bicycle

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello everyone, it's my first time posting here and I am quite new to wildlife photography. Sorry if this topic was already discussed but I couldn't find any relevant information using the search function.

I am looking for a safe way to transport photography gear on a bicycle. In my case, I would like to be able to take with me on the bicycle at least my body with a 200-500mm telephoto lens. Riding with a backpack is not the most comfortable option so I was thinking about a bag attached to the rear bike rack.
Would this be a safe option for the optic taking into consideration possible vibrations while driving in the woods, on gravel/dirt roads?
Maybe the bag should be filled with some foam cut out to exactly fit the camera and lens I use?
Am I over-concerned or could this really be an issue?
What are your ways of transporting photo gear on a bicycle? Please share with me your suggestions and experiences :)

Thanks in advance for all the responses!

Hi & welcome to BCG.
Have used a bike to get around but have only used a backpack.
I’m not a cyclist, but even if you packed out a rear side saddle bag then surely that’s going to be subject to a lot of juddering & vibration especially being positioned over the rear wheel?
This is just an opinion, but would be good to hear what the others say.

I'm planning on trying this sometime soon. I have friends that bird and bike simultaneously (on very level trails). This way they can get around a local reservoir to an active bird area. But there are lots of good birds in between. I'm going to try the following: Kowa 88mm spotting scope in the backpack on my back along with it's tripod, binoculars carried with my usual chest harness, d500 with 300mm PF and TC1.4III clipped to a belt with a Peak Design capture clip. I have a capture clip bracket on the lens tripod foot and on the camera bottom.
Hopefully, this way I'll be able to react fairly fast when an interesting opportunity comes up. The spotting scope is for when interesting birds are further out. If this works I'll try it with a 500mm PF, but that's heavier. If it doesn't work, I'll leave the spotting scope at home.
I'm probably going to look like a rolling optics shop:). Hopefully lunch will fit in there somewhere...Fortunately it's a pretty safe location.
My friend now "bike and birds" with his new z9 and 400mm f4.5. So he'll be able to pick up the more distant stuff. It will be interesting to see what he has come up with.
I'll report back once I experiment.

I'm planning on trying this sometime soon. I have friends that bird and bike simultaneously (on very level trails). This way they can get around a local reservoir to an active bird area. But there are lots of good birds in between. I'm going to try the following: Kowa 88mm spotting scope in the backpack on my back along with it's tripod, binoculars carried with my usual chest harness, d500 with 300mm PF and TC1.4III clipped to a belt with a Peak Design capture clip. I have a capture clip bracket on the lens tripod foot and on the camera bottom.
Hopefully, this way I'll be able to react fairly fast when an interesting opportunity comes up. The spotting scope is for when interesting birds are further out. If this works I'll try it with a 500mm PF, but that's heavier. If it doesn't work, I'll leave the spotting scope at home.
I'm probably going to look like a rolling optics shop:). Hopefully lunch will fit in there somewhere...Fortunately it's a pretty safe location.
My friend now "bike and birds" with his new z9 and 400mm f4.5. So he'll be able to pick up the more distant stuff. It will be interesting to see what he has come up with.
I'll report back once I experiment.

I'd be concerned about the camera punching a hole in your body in the event of a crash.

Thanks, I'll be moving pretty slowly on level ground. But you are right, it might not work. We'll see.
You raise a good concern about a fall. I'd probably damage the camera or lens.

A lot will depend on conditions you are riding in. If on relatively smooth paths and you have a lot of gear to bring, you can use a cargo trailer like one linked below, but it wont be good for rocky or rooted trails. A rack on the back of the bike also works well. Ive done this and keeping the camera in a bag/pack should be enough on a relatively smooth surface. If it’s going to be rougher, add some additional cushion underneath. Backpacks work well too, you might find one that is comfortable for you. I do a lot of biking with gear and occasionally use a black rapid or Peak Design strap, but that is a lot more risky as the camera can swing when braking if you don’t position it correctly and potentially lead to a crash; not necessarily from balance but from attempting to prevent the camera/lens swinging into the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N260A8D/?tag=backcogaller-20

A backpack or sling bag is the best option, though I find backpack more comfortable. When I used a sling bag on my bike with camera and 70-200 lens, the bag kept sliding down from my back to my front. Putting camera gear in any kind of bike pack on the bike itself will result in too rough of a ride that will damage the gear over time.

Putting camera gear in any kind of bike pack on the bike itself will result in too rough of a ride that will damage the gear over time.

Used to ride off-road on a big 650cc single cylinder with my gear in a Lowepro 400AW bungee'd to the pillion seat. Even crashed a couple of times (at low speed ).

The gear was fine, never had an issue. And that was on a motorcycle with a tendency of shaking it's screws loose...

So I wouldn't worry that much about keeping my gear on a bike pack unless I was doing extreme downhill.

And keeping the backpack on ones back while cycling can lead to back-pain over long distances....

Used to ride off-road on a big 650cc single cylinder with my gear in a Lowepro 400AW bungee'd to the pillion seat. Even crashed a couple of times (at low speed ).

The gear was fine, never had an issue. And that was on a motorcycle with a tendency of shaking it's screws loose...

So I wouldn't worry that much about keeping my gear on a bike pack unless I was doing extreme downhill.

And keeping the backpack on ones back while cycling can lead to back-pain over long distances....
Whilst a backpack is probably the kindest yo your gear, just be aware that it raises the centre of gravity of the bike and creates greater instability.
I.e. your risk of falling over increases.

For a 200-500mm I would def. go with a backpack. I would not moun it to a bag/case directly on the bike for vibrations, accident behavior etc.. For quick(er) access, you can use a backpack with rear access. For example I use a Mindshift backlight 18L for my 500PF and it works well.
I am rather small (52 kg) but I use a backpack (Mindshift Firstlight 30L) even for my 400 2.8 on the (road | gravel | mountain) bike for up to 30 km trips. Center of gravity (COG) was a non-issue to me once I got used to it after 5 min of cycling, even on old bikes with even higher COG.

But in the end it all depends on your situation: road/path conditions, familiarity riding a bike under various conditions, personal preferences, ..

Thanks for all the answers. I see a lot of suggestions to go for a backpack on my back but I don't think that is a comfortable option. Maybe with a small backpack, but definitely can't see myself riding the bike with my Mindshift Backlight 26L neither my old Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW.

clipped to a belt with a Peak Design capture clip
Straps around the shoulders seem very dangerous for the gear. Not even because of possible fall (don't plan to drive on extreme roads but one never knows) but I can imagine it hanging around and moving a lot, maybe even hit something on the side with a long lens when not paying fully attention. So that's definitely also not an option for me.
you can use a cargo trailer
That would destroy all the fun of riding the bicycle I think :D When going on the bike I don't plan on taking more than the body with a 200-500mm lens attached.

Since I plan on riding mostly in good conditions maybe I will look for a backpack that can be attached to the rear bike rack but also put on my back. This way when I come across a more demanding path I can wear it, and keep it on the bike on nicer paths. But good filled with some foam/old clothes anyway to reduce the shakes as much as possible.

Thanks for all the answers. I see a lot of suggestions to go for a backpack on my back but I don't think that is a comfortable option. Maybe with a small backpack, but definitely can't see myself riding the bike with my Mindshift Backlight 26L neither my old Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW.

Straps around the shoulders seem very dangerous for the gear. Not even because of possible fall (don't plan to drive on extreme roads but one never knows) but I can imagine it hanging around and moving a lot, maybe even hit something on the side with a long lens when not paying fully attention. So that's definitely also not an option for me.

That would destroy all the fun of riding the bicycle I think :D When going on the bike I don't plan on taking more than the body with a 200-500mm lens attached.

Since I plan on riding mostly in good conditions maybe I will look for a backpack that can be attached to the rear bike rack but also put on my back. This way when I come across a more demanding path I can wear it, and keep it on the bike on nicer paths. But good filled with some foam/old clothes anyway to reduce the shakes as much as possible.
Yep, foam with a bit of give in it, not too firm. Could also try some of the bubble wrap sheet with the larger bubbles

I agree with you. Wearing a backpack while riding a bike would never be an option for me. Way too uncomfortable and unsafe. Have you looked into Panier bags? You can put bags on both sides but I often just use one of my bags for the camera and attached 500mm lens. Mine is roomy, leather, and clips securely on the back rack. Put a 3 or 4" layer of packing sheets at the bottom and you are good to go. I often also strap a lightweight tripod on the back rack using a bungee cord. This is an awesome setup if you have established dirt trails or side roads to find places to photograph. Electric power allows for easy rides over long distances if you wish. Fat tires are great for trail riding but I opted for standard tires since I ride mostly roads and tame trails.

Photo of my bike and a few photos while out and about.

N1P_1457-5 websize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_DSC3405_Gator in water.jpg

N1P_0664-hutzler-roseate spoonbill-5-18-23.jpg

I've used the Nikon 600 f/4 carried in a backpack with the camera body while on a bicycle. My full size tripod and gimbal head was on the handlebars. I was riding on grass and dirt paths around a large manmade wetlands and the distances were much easier on a bike. I probably covered 10 miles. As suggested, it was a little top heavy and the tripod was awkward. But it was a lot easier than walking over the same area and I could never have covered as much ground on foot.

I think saddlebags or a cart behind the bike makes sense. I would use some added padding to help absorb vibration. A small sling bag or torso bag is also a good idea.

You might also look at the Cotton Carrier. It attaches the lens foot to your chest to carry the lens. It's not perfect, but keeps the lens accessible. You could use a Cotton Carrier for a camera and midsized lens.

None of these options are good ideas if you fall. I'd consider a backpack or saddlebag the best and Cotton Carrier the worst in case of a fall. But if you are careful and experienced, you probably won't risk a fall.

Another option I might try is a padded case for my fairly small setup. This is a d500 with a 300mm pf and tc14III.
In either case, the camera is firmly clipped at my side so it doesn't swing. Peak Design capture clip allows for quick retrieval when needed.

There are a lot of camera bags and backpacks out there, but it seems no one has invented a camera specific bike bag. I think you should invent one and maybe even do a Kickstarter project to get funding.

Alternatively you could approach the existing camera bag makers to see if any of them will run with the idea. (I know the cofounder of Think Tank - we were on the high school track team together - maybe I should point this out to him?)

Good idea. It would need to be adaptable to a variety of lens configurations. I enjoy botanical photography and use smaller lenses for that.
Something padded and easy to access. Also firmly attached so it doesn't swing.
I'll think about it more after I try it out. I just got a bike again after my last one was stolen.

I know the cofounder of Think Tank - we were on the high school track team together - maybe I should point this out to him?
Sure! I don't think I have the knowledge to design a product like this myself but if you have such a contact you can definitely pass a word to him. I think the market is not small and there is no dedicated product, unless I don't know about it.
That looks actually very nice and solid. Will consider it. Also the "asphalt-black" would nicely fit my bike color 😅 But you put the holster inside? Does it fit completely inside?

I regularly use a (smallish) backpack (Mindshift 15) on a bicycle to carry a 100-400mm and if/when the Z mount 180-600mm arrives I plan to carry it in the same way - but maybe in a slightly larger backpack. I have no problem with this way of transporting my equipment at all, though I will keep a leisurely pace to remain comfortable. I don't experience it as very different from walking/hiking with a backpack.

I would be concerned about a large and/or heavy backpack. Not only would it be uncomfortable (I have done it while camping many years younger) but it can also raise your center of gravity too high above the frame of the bike and make a fall more likely.

But I would also not be quick to pack camera equipment directly on a bicycle (e.g. on a rack) or even on the floor of a car because I would be concerned about the impact of hard bumps and vibrations over time.

Each time I am in a campground in a national or state park for wildlife photography, I use my bicycle and carry my D500 and 500 PF with the hood, already mounted, plus my monopod in a Lowepro flipside 300AWII backpack and everything is very convenient and very safe.

I've used the Nikon 600 f/4 carried in a backpack with the camera body while on a bicycle. My full size tripod and gimbal head was on the handlebars. I was riding on grass and dirt paths around a large manmade wetlands and the distances were much easier on a bike. I probably covered 10 miles. As suggested, it was a little top heavy and the tripod was awkward. But it was a lot easier than walking over the same area and I could never have covered as much ground on foot.

I think saddlebags or a cart behind the bike makes sense. I would use some added padding to help absorb vibration. A small sling bag or torso bag is also a good idea.

You might also look at the Cotton Carrier. It attaches the lens foot to your chest to carry the lens. It's not perfect, but keeps the lens accessible. You could use a Cotton Carrier for a camera and midsized lens.

None of these options are good ideas if you fall. I'd consider a backpack or saddlebag the best and Cotton Carrier the worst in case of a fall. But if you are careful and experienced, you probably won't risk a fall.
Cotton Carrier chest is definitely an option, unless one falls, but in that case, all bets are off. I use the Cotton Carrier (both versions) with a D500 and a 500 PF or 70-200 or 80-400 or 18-80 attached. I am 6’6”, so I am sure the extra body length helps! 👍

Hello everyone, it's my first time posting here and I am quite new to wildlife photography. Sorry if this topic was already discussed but I couldn't find any relevant information using the search function.

I am looking for a safe way to transport photography gear on a bicycle. In my case, I would like to be able to take with me on the bicycle at least my body with a 200-500mm telephoto lens. Riding with a backpack is not the most comfortable option so I was thinking about a bag attached to the rear bike rack.
Would this be a safe option for the optic taking into consideration possible vibrations while driving in the woods, on gravel/dirt roads?
Maybe the bag should be filled with some foam cut out to exactly fit the camera and lens I use?
Am I over-concerned or could this really be an issue?
What are your ways of transporting photo gear on a bicycle? Please share with me your suggestions and experiences :)

Thanks in advance for all the responses!
I was considering the same and my choiice of a bicycle was a e-bike with 4-inch wide tires. It provides excellent traction on soft ground and a much softer ride than a mountain or gravel bike and the motor helped when having to pedal in long pants. Not difficult to mount a piece of HDPE to a standard bike rack to carry a photo backpack. A step through type would make this even easier.

Another bike that would work is something like the Cannondale Adventure Neo low step-through electric bike sold by REI. Like many such bikes it weighs 52 lbs and so a strong bike rack is needed, especially if you end up wanting to haul two bikes to a trail head. Good racks from Hollywood, 1up, Thule, Yakima, and Swagman.

Back