Transporting wildlife photography gear on a bicycle

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There are a lot of camera bags and backpacks out there, but it seems no one has invented a camera specific bike bag. I think you should invent one and maybe even do a Kickstarter project to get funding.

Alternatively you could approach the existing camera bag makers to see if any of them will run with the idea. (I know the cofounder of Think Tank - we were on the high school track team together - maybe I should point this out to him?)
How about a front carrier…ordinary towels can easily dampen jarring and offer a little prote
https://bobbinbikes.com/products/fr...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1 [/QUOTE]
I say go the whole hog, plus it will take a 600mm f/4!😂😂

Attachments

• 1692466734259.jpeg
    1692466734259.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 39

yes, it is not in english.
I'm currently using "bikeBag" with a D5 and 500PF. plus Zeiss Victory SF. my bicycle ist an old one, urban-style. works well for me, but trails here in the flatter part of germany are mostly very moderate :D

my first post, greetings from cologne 👋

Considerations:
  1. Weight - of all gear that might need to carried (body, lens(es), tripod, outerwear, food, drink)
  2. Distance - that you want/need to travel
  3. Terrain and surface - constraints (that would limit a trailer for example)
  4. Frequency of stops - that you plan to make and the access to the gear
In your case, you mention a body and a 200-500mm lens. I agree that backpacks or front-carrier may be more hassle long term than they're worth while riding a bike.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit and, for my own local needs, I think I'd buy a second hand trailer similar to the one that @abc123brian referenced or one of the Chariot baby trailers.

Considerations:
  1. Weight - of all gear that might need to carried (body, lens(es), tripod, outerwear, food, drink)
  2. Distance - that you want/need to travel
  3. Terrain and surface - constraints (that would limit a trailer for example)
  4. Frequency of stops - that you plan to make and the access to the gear
In your case, you mention a body and a 200-500mm lens. I agree that backpacks or front-carrier may be more hassle long term than they're worth while riding a bike.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit and, for my own local needs, I think I'd buy a second hand trailer similar to the one that @abc123brian referenced or one of the Chariot baby trailers.
The trailer I mentioned works really well if you want to carry more or heavy gear or even if you want to bring a cooler or something with. You can even order a cushion for pets that fits the trailer perfectly to add extra cushion for your gear. I prefer the cargo trailer to the pet trailer for hauling gear.

I’ve actually used all the options I’ve mentioned and use what works best for me for the type of ride I’m doing. I use a backpack if I’m carrying one body and lens, just a small Osprey Daylight Plus pack, not an actual camera bag. If you have a rear rack, if you can figure out how to mount it to your bike, the Large rear basket from Lectric bikes fits the Large Peak Design Camera Cube perfectly. You could fit a layer of foam underneath if wanting some extra padding.

I’ll leave it to you to tell the dog he can’t go with you!!!… 😂

yes, it is not in english.
I'm currently using "bikeBag" with a D5 and 500PF. plus Zeiss Victory SF. my bicycle ist an old one, urban-style. works well for me, but trails here in the flatter part of germany are mostly very moderate :D

my first post, greetings from cologne 👋
Welcome to BCG 👍👍

My way of carrying camera gear on two of my ebikes:

Riese & Müller Homage
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

• Left: Standard handlebar bag. There are many versions of the design, but this Ortlieb bag has a custom photo liner.
  • The top flap is magnetically secured, allowing quick access to one's camera. Of course, this also allows quick exit of a few thousand dollars' worth of gear when one might prefer that not to happen!
  • Suitable for DSLR or mirrorless fitted with travel zoom. For me, that's a Canon R5 + RF 24–105, inside a standard camera bag.

• Right: A front frame bag, securely attached to a robust flat metal platform that is part of the frame. The bag is extraordinarily strong, has its own high quality zipper as well as a roll-up closure with standard clip fasteners. The bag comes with various internal and external pockets.
  • The bag is stormproof.
  • The bag can be removed and carried (comfortably!) with the included shoulder strap.
  • Peak Design's Small Camera Cube fits perfectly.
  • Suitable for DSLR or mirrorless fitted with wildlife zoom. For me, that's a Canon R5 + RF 100–500, including collar with Arca baseplate, and lens hood.

Last edited:
I had a 70-200 in a pack on the back rack mountain biking in Moab years ago and the bouncing over the hard surface trashed the internal elements of the lens. The ride was rougher than a gravel road, but the larger the lens elements, the more cautious I would be putting the camera and/or lens on a rack or in a bag attached to a rack.

Back