Travelling With Gear: In the Car and in the Hotel Room

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I reiterate my suggestion about the trunk.

I'm confused why you even replied to my message since your reply doesn't speak to anything I wrote.
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the ways in which electronic locking systems can be defeated, such as relay theft, where a thief picks up the signal from the electronic key and transmits it to a colleague near the car.

Thieves can often access the trunk by breaking into the passenger compartment and removing or breaking the rear seating.

False sense of security.

Those types of chains can be cut with a bolt cutter rather easily.
Particularly the ones that advertise : "can't be cut with a bolt cutter"

False sense of security.
not in my case ... you need to actually reach under the seat, you can't see it. It's VERY secure. Room for your hand - any thief would need an axle grinder...but that's a way different story.

If I'm out and about with my 36L Backlight pack I just take it with me into the restaurant, store, etc. I'd do that at a business conference too. Fortunately I'm at an age/place in life where I don't have to worry about "colleagues" giving me dirty looks for not carrying the business-approved briefcase.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the ways in which electronic locking systems can be defeated, such as relay theft, where a thief picks up the signal from the electronic key and transmits it to a colleague near the car.

Thieves can often access the trunk by breaking into the passenger compartment and removing or breaking the rear seating.

False sense of security.

My car has no back seat.

We do what we can to make it harder when we are not in a position to take all gear with us.

Can bolt cutters (don't work very well against thick steel cables) or angle grinders (can take on anything) enable thieves to take our gear?
Yes.... but how many thieves that look for valuables in a car cary that with them? My bet is that most of them do not have that equipment with them, or it would take too much time.

Are we 100% covered by that? No, that is why I am insured.
Can I be 100% safe if I carry everything with me? No, I can more easily be mugged than that they can take things from my car.

100% security does not exist, we just aim to make it harder, less likely that our gear gets stolen and it makes us feel just a little better.

As Fro Knows Photo would say, #Don’tBeAnA-Hole.

While I’ve left my gear in the car, I never feel great about it so I’ve migrated to always making sure I bring my camera and lenses with me wherever I go. If I can’t bring it all, I’ve brought too much.

Regardless, there’s lots of good suggestions to mitigate provided but the best option is to lock it on room or have on you, in my opinion.

I never fly within the US, or Canada, doesn't matter how far/days it takes. I always drive, of course carrying way more equipment than I really need (either a scurge or benefit of driving). I never leave anything in the vehicle overnight while traveling, I use the cart to transport everything to the room. While on location I leave all unused bags/equipment in the room. I have a Ram 1500 crew cab. With the rear seats folded up I place the bags on the floor. With the darkened windows its impossible for some one to look in and see whats there. When I'm out shooting the camera bag is with me. When parked in public areas I am aware of "smash and grab" so when out shooting I do try to take only what I need, and leave the rest in the room with the "Do not disturb" sign out. I have been doing this for decades, and not had an issue.

I live in an urban area and the general best practice is to leave nothing in your car, and leave absolutely nothing showing in the vehicle interior at all, including empty bags. Car prowls are quite common, especially in the downtown area. These days I try to park in garages if possible when I head downtown. Your conference may be in a different environment, but many tourist places (rural as well as urban) also have signs up mentioning that parking lots are high prowl areas. I guess it just depend on your tolerance for risk.

--Ken
I'm in a similar situation. Anything visible in a car invites a thief. They don't expect camera gear, but will take it. What they really want to find are guns, so not only do you want to avoid anything looking like a camera, but also anything that looks like a gun bag. The police promote keeping a 100% clean car. People will break in for any kind of back, briefcase or backpack.

I try to put my gear in the trunk before arriving at any destination. I take it into the hotel at night and return it to the trunk in the morning when I leave. I do have a separate control that makes it harder to open the trunk in the event of a break-in.

They will break windows just to see what’s in a trunk. You can do things to slow them down but these criminals have tools and are prepared. I returned from CA last night and I had a bag with well north of $30k. It was locked and tied down to a cars hard point. Likely it would just slow them down.
This is yet another reason I live in TX and not a CA where criminals go unchecked.

Here’s a video and thousands of dollars of camera gear stolen.

Thieves can cut though the thickes bike cable or chain lock in less than 10 seconds with a $100 battery powered cut-off saw and a $4 cut-off disc. A thief is not going to risk breaking into a vehicle unless they expect to find something of value.

My truck had its cab window broken by a thief at a state beach parking area. The deputy told me that thieves would wait for a woman to leave a vehicle and without a purse so the thief would expect that the purse was left behind. A purse will have credit cards which are then used to make expensive purchases of items they can quickly resell. My wife had insisted on taking her purse and insisted on leaving it in the truck.

With my trucks I always buy a fiberglass cap to put over the bed and black out the windows so no one can see inside. I have not had anyone break into the bed of the trucks in the past 54 years with this approach.

I use messenger bags. The ones I have from Lowepro aren't made anymore. I left $30k in equipment sitting on a beach in Hawaii, Portugal, and Croatia to name a few. No one ever went near it because it didn't look like camera equipment.

Most hotels have large safes on the first floor for just this purpose. If you're really worried, give it to them to lock up.
As someone that has lived in Hawaii for 30 years all I can say is DON'T DO THAT HERE. You were very lucky. Thieves regularly just pick up a bag as they walk by and keep walking - and then check to see if there is anything in it later. They are looking for wallets, car keys, etc., which can be found in messenger bags. Camera equipment would be a bonus. A man from California drowned last week, and while people were trying to save him someone stole his stuff - including the rental car because he left the keys in his bag on the beach. His wife lost her husband and everything else she had with her that day.

Also, never leave anything in your car. Ever. I take my backpack with me, even if I'm just stopping for a minute. And if you put it in the trunk do it before you get to the beach, thieves will watch you put it in the trunk and then walk to the beach and know you won't be back for a while. Rental cars are a huge target, more so than the cars residents drive, because they know tourists bring money and cameras and such, and aren't as aware of the crime issues.

These rules apply to most tourist areas worldwide. Tourists are targets of thieves.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from coming to Hawaii, it is a great place to visit. I'm just saying take precautions. And don't leave your camera gear in a bag n the beach while you swim.

Go to Pacsafe and see their systems for antitheft. They have bags that can be secured to something in the room and thus cannot be stolen - the bags have a stainless steel mesh inside them to prevent cutting the bag open and stealing the contents.
Or you can use your own backpack/bag and use the exomesh over the outside and then secure that to something immoveable in the room. They have a 55lt, 85lt and 120lt version. I have the 55lt for my Mindshift Backlight 26lt backpack but I need to get the 85lt version for my Mindshift Backlight 36lt backpack:

This is an excellent idea. On road trips to landscape photo destinations, I often have to leave gear in the car when I hike off with a portion of it. I often travel with much more than I would be able to carry. Covering it so it's not obvious is a good idea, but thieves will break into a car full of stuff to see what they can find and would soon unearth the left behind stash of gear.

I would probably look for a way to bolt one or two of these to something in the car, making it that much more difficult for them.

Edit: this would protect against the percentage of thieves that don't carry battery operated angle-grinders, which probably means most of them.

I never leave things in the car overnight if I'm in a hotel room.

Chris

Last edited:
In my hotel room, when I first arrive I put the "do not disturb sign" on the outside of the door and don't let them in while I am there. There is usually a way you can exchange your towels when you need to. Other than that, I'm good and that keeps everyone out of my room and relieves any worry about theft.
I do the same thing and I pay for a very good insurance policy to cover the most expensive gear which I tend to travel with the most.

I have gone quickly through this thread and did not see the word "insurance" ONCE! Given the eye-watering value that can be in modern camera bag this seems nuts to me. Another thing I find shocking is the number of photographers that turn up at sites throughout the world. Hundreds in the UK when a rare raptor is reported and similarly in Yosemite when a bear with cubs appears. Likewise at famous locations everywhere. Alas it is photographers who would immediately recognise the value of a Z9 + 600Tc. When you think about it, if your number is up it will take less than minute for a practiced thief. Most of the suggestions here are likely only to dissuade "honest" people.

I have gone quickly through this thread and did not see the word "insurance" ONCE! Given the eye-watering value that can be in modern camera bag this seems nuts to me. Another thing I find shocking is the number of photographers that turn up at sites throughout the world. Hundreds in the UK when a rare raptor is reported and similarly in Yosemite when a bear with cubs appears. Likewise at famous locations everywhere. Alas it is photographers who would immediately recognise the value of a Z9 + 600Tc. When you think about it, if your number is up it will take less than minute for a practiced thief. Most of the suggestions here are likely only to dissuade "honest" people.
Actually both comments above your post mention insurance.

Hi all,

I've traveled with gear a lot over the years, and of course you have to leave it in the car, hotel room every so often.

Just wondering your comfort level, namely with theft or heat/cold.

I'm stuck going to a conference for a few days, but we have an afternoon free and naturally I'll be skipping the dinner that day to do some bird photography. I'd be visiting a restaurant with a friend in the area, so would have my camera in the car (I'll be bringing the Z8 attached to the 800). I'm not comfortable bringing all of my photo equipment, so was just going to bring that, and it would also be in the hotel room during the daytime when I'm at presentations. The hotel is in a fine area, and I can't see someone breaking in to the room but you never know.

The other issue is heat; cars heat up quick (don't get me started on people who bring pets with them when they "just run into" the store!). I would be in a restaurant for about an hour, but there is a heat wave next week; will be about 90 and toasty. The camera and lens would be in a large insulated bag (it even has a little sun on it implying it's designed for heat/cold). Would the gear be fine in high temperatures for an hour or so?

Thanks for the feedback,
Paul
Its never easy.....

No 1 best protection unbeatable

INSURE IT IN YOU HOME CONTENT POLICY FOR LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, and have peace of mind, if it gets knocked of, so be it.

Nothing you can do, if they see it, they will want it, we see it often here in OZ especially in popular tourist locations were there are long walks etc, they watch when you go and bingo.

I Like the Costa Rica idea.

I have a sedan, we never leave anything in the car, in these locations i leave the usually targeted front passenger window right down, glove box open, centre console open, i have disconnected the boot or truck release completely so its key operated access only, fortunately i run LPG gas as well as petrol, i have a steel LPG Gas tank in the boot that fully restricts access via the back seats, bingo, i have a safe box, well as it can be, it cuts out about 98% of fast smash grab terrorists.

On two occasions about 9 months apart one at Bells Beach the other in our local hot spot national park bush walk, all the vehicles either side had their windows smashed and where ransacked, they passed on mine they could see it was completely empty. I am more concerned about having the window smashed than the insured camera gear LOL. The car is a classic. School holidays is escalated prime time in popular places.

The local police told me about leaving the window down and things open and it works, well so far at tourist spots.

With heat i lay a couple of the windscreen foil bubble reflectors, i lay a couple of them across the top of my camera gear, 50 degree C in WA outback and not an issue, its enough to take the edge off the heat radiating in the boot, substantially.

As to the new SLWB Hi ace VAN, it has a full double bed, all things are stored under the bed, i put my camera gear at the very back at the rear tilt door via the tilt door.

There is no way to open the rear tilt door without a key, even if they smash the rear window, Toyota doesn't let you open the door from the inside, it has no handle, the bed and frame buts up almost on the door by 2 inches so there is no access which is great, to get at the camera gear from the side doors they need to spend a lot of time unpacking all sorts of gear fridges, batteries, boxes of kitchen gear chairs blankets, if the want to get right to the back door form under the bed, its a night mare if you into a smash and grab.

Cant stop it entirely, insurance is it.

Hotel rooms i don't go there sorry...........but yes i can see its a concern.

Lots to be said for an I Phone LOL.

I wonder what Steve does in Costa Rica.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
My bad - I was speed scrolling!

It should be noted as we consider safety precautions that there are people out there who make note of people in the field and their vehicles in order to follow them to a location with the opportunity to steal equipment from their cars even the trunks of cars. This has occurred numerous times where I am from even to the extent where equipment has be taken from the car while parked in their own driveway.

It should be noted as we consider safety precautions that there are people out there who make note of people in the field and their vehicles in order to follow them to a location with the opportunity to steal equipment from their cars even the trunks of cars. This has occurred numerous times where I am from even to the extent where equipment has be taken from the car while parked in their own driveway.
And I thought we have it bad here

Back