Travelling With Gear: In the Car and in the Hotel Room

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a large case (ex Sony M7 camera) fitted with wheels and a chain around it . I lock it to the trunk floor or radiator in a room. As for bolt cutters you need to come equiped not just break in and go ..oh god I need bolt cutters.

Most of the suggestions here are likely only to dissuade "honest" people.
You give thieves too much credit. Yes, some are organized / have tools, but the rest are certainly not honest. A good portion of them are desperate people who go to the trailhead to smash windows with rocks as their only tool. Others (as you say, who recognize the value of what you left out visible) are thieves of opportunity—they happened upon your car, but don't walk around in life with bolt-cutters in their back pocket.

Also, even those who are organized are still looking for the quickest targets.

Bags/cases secured to the inside of your vehicle are still good deterrents. Most of us have insurance, but still want to avoid the incident.

Chris

Ps: "Just bring it into the restaurant" only covers a small number of times I leave the vehicle. This is true for all of us that drive cross-country on road trips and hike out to locations.

In 1970 two jackets were stolen from my car. Have never left any valuables in the car since then and have not had anything else stolen. My Think Tank rolling case goes into restaurants, meetings, etc.

INSURE IT IN YOU HOME CONTENT POLICY
My only suggestion is to consider insuring your gear with a separate carrier. In case of a claim, it will not put your other insurance (i.e. home, auto) at risk of being cancelled for having made a claim. Some carriers are particular about how many claims they will tolerate.

--Ken

Honestly I think that the best choice is to just bring the gear in a camera bag into the restaurant. Not worth the risk of overheating and thievery.
Same here. Also, some of the items from here may be of interest for additional security.

I keep the gear out of sight, the car in an open and visible area, under a light at night. My car sends me a message if someone breaks in. Don't carry the big lens openly to the car. In the hotel, I decline room service and put the lens in my suitcase under my dirty underwear. Once again, don't show off the big lens carrying it into the hotel. My Z800 lens resides in a Thinktank Glass Taxi bag; I ditched the Nikon bag with the Nikon logo emblazoned in yellow. I don't hesitate to travel and what ever happens , happens. I am not staying home out of a fear of problems.

You give thieves too much credit. Yes, some are organized / have tools, but the rest are certainly not honest. A good portion of them are desperate people who go to the trailhead to smash windows with rocks as their only tool. Others (as you say, who recognize the value of what you left out visible) are thieves of opportunity—they happened upon your car, but don't walk around in life with bolt-cutters in their back pocket.

Also, even those who are organized are still looking for the quickest targets.

Bags/cases secured to the inside of your vehicle are still good deterrents. Most of us have insurance, but still want to avoid the incident.

Chris

Ps: "Just bring it into the restaurant" only covers a small number of times I leave the vehicle. This is true for all of us that drive cross-country on road trips and hike out to locations.
There is some truth to this, BUT.....

The majority of thieves here are meth addicts looking for drug money. A lot of them are just opportunists that will break a window and take what they can get easily. BUT, many of them, despite being meth addicts, have battery operated cutters they use for stealing catalytic converters. They have the ability to cut through cables, locks, etc. Catalytic converter thefts are common here, and those thieves will take whatever they can get. They ride around on stolen bicycles, with their backpack of tools, and take whatever they can find. And they get away with it. We have a shortage of police officers here and you're lucky if they even show up when you call.

Back