Tripod head (and tripod) for Landscapes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Winston Churchill (Sir)

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am looking for a tripod head for landscapes - specifically fitting well into the category of good and light for travel, while being of proper decent. Not a once-off thingie that will frustrate the shyte of my derierre.

I am open to suggestions - but what I have been looking at is:

Leophoto geared head - G3? G4?
Leophoto levelling base
Leophoto carbon fibre tripod to match

We do not have all the brands you have in the USA, so shipping could be an issue if not locally available, but I am still willing to investigate suggestions either-way.

I don't like a ball head - so thats out. Dont even suggest that one. And I don't have $2500 for a tripod head either.

thank you - for whatever you can contribute.

Last edited:
I prefer RRS ball heads. I’ve got two sizes and when traveling light I take my small one.

For Tripods I have 5 of them but for light travel I have a Leofoto LO-224C Tripod which I just got. I’m not a fan of center columns but looking for one that will fit in my carry on and not for big lenses it will do the trick.

I’ve also got a B&H brand Robus which has been great! I’ve got a couple of them and a killer value.

I am looking for a tripod head for landscapes - specifically fitting well into the category of good and light for travel, while being of proper decent. Not a once-off thingie that will frustrate the shyte of my derierre.

Leophoto balancing plate

We do not have all the brands you have in the USA, so shipping could be an issue if not locally available, but I am still willing to investigate suggestions either-way.

I don't like a ball head - so thats out. Dont even suggest that one. And I don't have $2500 for a tripod head either.

Not sure about something specifically for travel as I prefer to carry my Gitzo 3542LS carbon fiber everywhere I go as it provides an excellent base whether shooting landscapes or wildlife. I wouldn’t call it at all heavy but I suppose that it’s heavier than those lightweight “travel tripods” (quite honestly, my personal experience with lightweight, travel tripods has been disappointing, but maybe I’ve just tried the wrong ones). On longer trips I pack the Gitzo in my checked bag and have never had trouble with the airlines. As for heads, I prefer using my Kirk BH-1 for landscapes because it has a very fluid, smooth operation, and is solid, but it does have some heft to it. Recently, I’ve been experimenting with the Flexshooter Pro hybrid head for travel mainly because of its versatility, and because it’s considerably smaller and lighter than lugging along both ball and gimbal heads on flights. It works great as an alternative to a gimbal for wildlife, but not very well for landscapes unless you pair it with a small panning head/plate, which I do with pretty good results. Hope this helps. Good luck in your deliberations!

For long distance travel I got a tiny Sirui carbon fiber tripod and the little ball head that came with it. It weighs less than one kg. I also use it when out on our boat because it's so easy to carry ashore in the kayak. It's plenty sturdy for shooting mirrorless cameras. There's no vibration inducing mirror/shutter and either timer delay or remote trigger offer touchless shutter release. So no need for anything heavier to dampen out vibration.

I'm not fond of fiddling with the ball head either but it gets the job done. If I shot more landscape I might search for an alternative but right now it's not a priority. I did add a rotating base which eliminates some of the frustration. I know conventional wisdom for multiple shot panos is to use a sophisticated/precision head designed for that purpose. But with the state of stitching software nowadays it's no longer necessary. Not for the average person anyway. So IMO keep it light, simple, and practical for your needs.

I do have the RRS heavy duty ball head (BH-55), but a couple of years ago I got this spiffy Acratech Panoramic Head. I really like this head, and it has become my "go to" head for nearly every occasion. It weighs less than a pound, so it's reasonably light weight. I use it in combination with a leveling base and that makes it very quick to set up and get a level base to shoot from, which is nice in general, but ideal for panoramas. If you don't like fiddling with ball heads, then you should check this out as a viable alternative.

I'm not sure I have the tripod solution that you are looking for, as I travel with my heavy duty, but relatively light weight, Gitzo Series 3 carbon fiber tripod

I prefer RRS ball heads. I’ve got two sizes and when traveling light I take my small one.

For Tripods I have 5 of them but for light travel I have a Leofoto LO-224C Tripod which I just got. I’m not a fan of center columns but looking for one that will fit in my carry on and not for big lenses it will do the trick.

I’ve also got a B&H brand Robus which has been great! I’ve got a couple of them and a killer value.
thank you
I think the leofoto G2 fits the bill better, especially if you marry it with a Leofoto tripod with included levelling head.

For a step up in quality consider Acratech heads.
Thank you for the reminder - I was looking at the Acratech head as well
Not sure about something specifically for travel as I prefer to carry my Gitzo 3542LS carbon fiber everywhere I go as it provides an excellent base whether shooting landscapes or wildlife. I wouldn’t call it at all heavy but I suppose that it’s heavier than those lightweight “travel tripods” (quite honestly, my personal experience with lightweight, travel tripods has been disappointing, but maybe I’ve just tried the wrong ones). On longer trips I pack the Gitzo in my checked bag and have never had trouble with the airlines. As for heads, I prefer using my Kirk BH-1 for landscapes because it has a very fluid, smooth operation, and is solid, but it does have some heft to it. Recently, I’ve been experimenting with the Flexshooter Pro hybrid head for travel mainly because of its versatility, and because it’s considerably smaller and lighter than lugging along both ball and gimbal heads on flights. It works great as an alternative to a gimbal for wildlife, but not very well for landscapes unless you pair it with a small panning head/plate, which I do with pretty good results. Hope this helps. Good luck in your deliberations!
Thank you kindly
Did you look at the Leophoto Agulhas?
I am sure Hougard will point you in the right direction!

https://landscapegear.co.za/collect...has-carbon-fiber-tripod-kit-lp-364cex-lh-47lr
uhm - you did notice the price did you... :oops: Weight looks good though -
Hougaard should rather stock the stuff I want! (G4 - out of stock)
For long distance travel I got a tiny Sirui carbon fiber tripod and the little ball head that came with it. It weighs less than one kg. I also use it when out on our boat because it's so easy to carry ashore in the kayak. It's plenty sturdy for shooting mirrorless cameras. There's no vibration inducing mirror/shutter and either timer delay or remote trigger offer touchless shutter release. So no need for anything heavier to dampen out vibration.

I'm not fond of fiddling with the ball head either but it gets the job done. If I shot more landscape I might search for an alternative but right now it's not a priority. I did add a rotating base which eliminates some of the frustration. I know conventional wisdom for multiple shot panos is to use a sophisticated/precision head designed for that purpose. But with the state of stitching software nowadays it's no longer necessary. Not for the average person anyway. So IMO keep it light, simple, and practical for your needs.
Good grief - the weight alone makes it attractive. Which one do you have please?

My only input is make sure you get a leveling base: For me it's essential for any tripod-based photography, especially landscape. Thomas Heaton will tell you the same thing.
Valuable input - thank you. I have looked at those (sorry I referred to it as a balancing plate - will correct it now in my post) I see some Leophoto models have a built in one

I do have the RRS heavy duty ball head (BH-55), but a couple of years ago I got this spiffy Acratech Panoramic Head. I really like this head, and it has become my "go to" head for nearly every occasion. It weighs less than a pound, so it's reasonably light weight. I use it in combination with a leveling base and that makes it very quick to set up and get a level base to shoot from, which is nice in general, but ideal for panoramas. If you don't like fiddling with ball heads, then you should check this out as a viable alternative.

I'm not sure I have the tripod solution that you are looking for, as I travel with my heavy duty, but relatively light weight, Gitzo Series 3 carbon fiber tripod
thank you - I also looked at the Acratech long lens Head - it looks like it's the baby version?
Which Levelling base? would the Leophoto one work or perhaps the built in Leveling base that is also in some of the Leophoto tripods? or does one have to get the same brand levelling base?

thank you - I also looked at the Acratech long lens Head - it looks like it's the baby version?
Which Levelling base? would the Leophoto one work or perhaps the built in Leveling base that is also in some of the Leophoto tripods? or does one have to get the same brand levelling base?

I think the Acratech head that I got is the next step up from the long lens head (so this is not the baby one). This model has degree marks for the tilt setting, that the other version does not have. It also supports loads up to 25 pounds. I can't remember if there are other differences between the two heads.

The leveling base that I use is this one: RRS TA-3 Leveling Base. It fits inside the top plate of my Gitzo tripod.

I think the Acratech head that I got is the next step up from the long lens head (so not the baby one). This model has degree marks for the tilt setting, that the other version does not have. It also supports loads up to 25 pounds. I can't remember if there are other differences between the two heads.

The leveling base that I use is this one: RRS TA-3 Leveling Base. It fits inside the top plate of my Gitzo tripod.
thank you - got it now :)

Which Levelling base?
That depends a lot on the tripod design. If you have what's often called a Systematic tripod that has a removable top plate or bowl style you'll generally want to use a leveling head of the correct diameter to fit into the hole/bowl and replace that removable top plate. Leofoto, Gitzo and others make leveling heads that fit their systematic tripods.

But if you have a tripod that doesn't have the removable top plate or choose not to remove that plate there are leveling heads that mount right onto the 3/8 inch stud on most tripods (or a 1/4 inch stud with an adapter to 3/8 inch).

Here's an example of a leveling head that sits on top of the top plate (removable or not), I use one of these beneath my RRS BH-55 head though they make smaller and lighter versions. This type is more universal and will fit most if not all decent tripods that don't have an integrated head:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.45.21 AM.png

Here's what bowl style leveling heads look like and they'll only work with tripods that have a removable top plate or bowl (often video oriented tripods):

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.47.35 AM.png

That depends a lot on the tripod design. If you have what's often called a Systematic tripod that has a removable top plate or bowl style you'll generally want to use a leveling head of the correct diameter to fit into the hole/bowl and replace that removable top plate. Leofoto, Gitzo and others make leveling heads that fit their systematic tripods.

But if you have a tripod that doesn't have the removable top plate or choose not to remove that plate their are leveling heads that mount right onto the 3/8 inch stud on most tripods (or a 1/4 inch stud with an adapter to 3/8 inch).

Here's an example of a leveling head that sits on top of the top plate (removable or not), I use one of these beneath my RRS BH-55 head though they make smaller and lighter versions. This type is more universal and will fit most if not all decent tripods that don't have an integrated head:

Here's what bowl style leveling heads look like and they'll only work with tripods that have a removable top plate or bowl (often video oriented tripods):
Thank you Dave - those are the ones I initially looked at. Your input is much appreciated

No Leofoto gear for me, seen and heard too much issues with it. All good at the beginning when all is new but it doesn't last, you start to get creep, tolerances, ...
I have 2 Gitzo tripods and one is for sure my favorite: GT3543LS eXact carbon systematic long series 3.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328243-REG/gitzo_gt3543lsus_systematic_tripod_ser_3_4s.html
Also ordered the Gitzo leveling base, ideal for landscape but also for video work or panorama/stitching.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1286949-REG/gitzo_gslvls_leveling_base_for.html

I like my Arca Swiss ballhead but as you do not like ballheads no advice from my side in the geared head department :)

But if you have a tripod that doesn't have the removable top plate or choose not to remove that plate there are leveling heads that mount right onto the 3/8 inch stud on most tripods (or a 1/4 inch stud with an adapter to 3/8 inch).

View attachment 75793

View attachment 75794
I have that Leofoto leveling base and it works great: one of my favourite photographic purchases.

Good grief - the weight alone makes it attractive. Which one do you have please?
That's a good question. I've had it for 10 years or so. The only number I can find on it is SR339161. But I looked on the Sirui website and that number doesn't match anything. The one I have looks like the current model 5C in their travel line.

No Leofoto gear for me, seen and heard too much issues with it. All good at the beginning when all is new but it doesn't last, you start to get creep, tolerances, ...
I have 2 Gitzo tripods and one is for sure my favorite: GT3543LS eXact carbon systematic long series 3.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328243-REG/gitzo_gt3543lsus_systematic_tripod_ser_3_4s.html
Also ordered the Gitzo leveling base, ideal for landscape but also for video work or panorama/stitching.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1286949-REG/gitzo_gslvls_leveling_base_for.html

I like my Arca Swiss ballhead but as you do not like ballheads no advice from my side in the geared head department :)
Thanks - honest opinions is important - just sweet talk goes no where fast 😂
I have that Leofoto leveling base and it works great: one of my favourite photographic purchases.
short one? long one? does it matter? (besides the price?)

Leophoto levelling base

Not to add to the parameters, but if you think about doing panos, consider the implications to the equipment. Panning, leveling and getting the lens to the right place above the head.

I dont know but yes for all intents and purposes - I must be prepared for that too as it will happen.

I found that leveling is the most important aspect as far as equipment goes. Software pretty much can handle everything else.

Probably an overkill, but if I know I'll be shooting panoramas I fit my tripod with the RRS Pano-gimbal. I always have the leveling base on, also RRS. Added benefit to this set up is the ability to use a 75mm video head.

Back