Tripod head (and tripod) for Landscapes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I found that leveling is the most important aspect as far as equipment goes. Software pretty much can handle everything else.

Probably an overkill, but if I know I'll be shooting panoramas I fit my tripod with the RRS Pano-gimbal. I always have the leveling base on, also RRS. Added benefit to this set up is the ability to use a 75mm video head.
A gimbal is great. Except for weight and space when traveling. I use mine at home. Thanks for the reminder to look at RRS - heard good things about the brand

I was on a landscape workshop in southern Utah in October. I used my RRS TVC 24L tripod, an RRS universal leveling base, and the RRS BH-55. Was shooting a Z8 and the Z f2.8 trilogy. The BH-55 ball head is rugged and can hold a lot of weight. But, if you loosen it to try to make a fine adjustment, you are enabling motion in all directions, including directions where you do not want a change, which can be a problem. Tightening the general tension on the ball head can help some, but does not eliminate the issue.

One of the two professional leaders of the workshop was using a geared Arca Swiss Cube C1 head. (I‘ve seen him use the RRS BH-55 on prior trips.) He could make fine and precise adjustments in one direction without affecting other directions. He was using a Fuji medium format camera and I think the same RRS tripod I have. He raved about the Arca Swiss geared head for landscape use.

The Arca Swiss head looked beautifully made — similar to RRS products in that respect. The one concern I would have with it is how a geared head would do in sandy and dusty conditions. My BH-55 does very well in that situation. But I fear sand and dust could get in the gears.

When I got home, I checked B&H to see what an Arca Swiss head would cost. There are a number of Cube C1 models, but even the lowest priced one was over US $1,500. Not particularly light. So I probably won’t get one, as I do more wildlife shooting than landscapes by a fair amount. But others who do more landscape work might well like one.

I was on a landscape workshop in southern Utah in October. I used my RRS TVC 24L tripod, an RRS universal leveling base, and the RRS BH-55. Was shooting a Z8 and the Z f2.8 trilogy. The BH-55 ball head is rugged and can hold a lot of weight. But, if you loosen it to try to make a fine adjustment, you are enabling motion in all directions, including directions where you do not want a change, which can be a problem. Tightening the general tension on the ball head can help some, but does not eliminate the issue.

One of the two professional leaders of the workshop was using a geared Arca Swiss Cube C1 head. (I‘ve seen him use the RRS BH-55 on prior trips.) He could make fine and precise adjustments in one direction without affecting other directions. He was using a Fuji medium format camera and I think the same RRS tripod I have. He raved about the Arca Swiss geared head for landscape use.

The Arca Swiss head looked beautifully made — similar to RRS products in that respect. The one concern I would have with it is how a geared head would do in sandy and dusty conditions. My BH-55 does very well in that situation. But I fear sand and dust could get in the gears.

When I got home, I checked B&H to see what an Arca Swiss head would cost. There are a number of Cube C1 models, but even the lowest priced one was over US $1,500. Not particularly light. So I probably won’t get one, as I do more wildlife shooting than landscapes by a fair amount. But others who do more landscape work might well like one.
Thank you - yes that Arca Swiss one's price is criminal.
Interesting point on the dust / sand. Especially since a lot of my landscapes will be seascapes. That salt air gets in everywhere

Thank you - yes that Arca Swiss one's price is criminal.
Interesting point on the dust / sand. Especially since a lot of my landscapes will be seascapes. That salt air gets in everywhere
Despite the overall decline in the brand, the Mafrotto 410 and 405 geared heads are pretty good. I use one on a studio stand and it allows very precise framing (product shots). I never took it to the field where I am happy with my BH55, my pano-gimbal and my Cartoni fluid head.

Despite the overall decline in the brand, the Mafrotto 410 and 405 geared heads are pretty good. I use one on a studio stand and it allows very precise framing (product shots). I never took it to the field where I am happy with my BH55, my pano-gimbal and my Cartoni fluid head.
You are right that Manfrotto still remains a very good product. My Tripod is more than 20 years old - and still works. Getting on, but hanging in there. The heads don't use an Arca Swiss plate though. (I have an L bracket - so the darn thing doesn't work on my Gimbal)

You are right that Manfrotto still remains a very good product. My Tripod is more than 20 years old - and still works. Getting on, but hanging in there. The heads don't use an Arca Swiss plate though. (I have an L bracket - so the darn thing doesn't work on my Gimbal)
You're right, but they and others sell A/S compatible replacement plates. I don't remember the one I bought, maybe a Kirk?

Bill

Here is my personal experience: unless I shoot medium format, the Cube geared head gets little use, it has limited motion range, it's bulky, it's heavy. I couldn't take it on the trips.

On the other hand, the Really Right Stuff PG-01 or the compact gimbal head setup is vastly more convenient.

I am reserving my opinion on version 2 though, the design is lighter, however, I find a tapered arm without dual grove a letdown, I can not pack it tightly for hiking.

Oliver

One option I don't recall seeing is using your favorite ball head along with a Really Right Stuff Panorama clamp. Use the ball head to level the RRS clamp and away you go...
(I used to own V1 of this RRS clamp but now wishing I had not sold it).

I also came across this much cheaper {too cheap?] panning clamp on ebay...

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 2.08.50 PM.png

Best head overall is the Arca-Swiss D4 GP head which I bought from Robert White in the UK. It allows for fast adjustment of tilts and also micro adjustments. This saves me a great deal of time getting the camera aligned properly. The head weighs 2.3 lb and supports a load of up to 66 lbs.

I have this head permanently mounted on a Gitzo 2541LVL tripod that weighs 3.5 lb and has a quick leveling feature built into it.

For travel, I pair my Sirui pan/tilt head with a MeFOTO Roadtrip CF tripod. One of the legs can be removed to pair with the center post as a monopod. Packs small and light.

The same tripod I use except I have trouble finding a head I like. Ball heads don’t seem to be able to hold up big lenses. I use the monopod with the latest z180-600. That’s good, but still don’t have a head I like . I’m very finicky.. it’ll be a couple of years 😂🤔

I do have the Wimberley monogimbel head - after Steve’s review. I just don’t like it with the z180-600 as rotating the lens in the collar is so rough. From comments, I think that’s a personal thing.

The same tripod I use except I have trouble finding a head I like. Ball heads don’t seem to be able to hold up big lenses. I use the monopod with the latest z180-600. That’s good, but still don’t have a head I like . I’m very finicky.. it’ll be a couple of years 😂🤔

I do have the Wimberley monogimbel head - after Steve’s review. I just don’t like it with the z180-600 as rotating the lens in the collar is so rough. From comments, I think that’s a personal thing.
Patrick I am right there with you. I am very happy with my Gimbal - but it isn't practical for landscapes - nor travel. As you say - it will be a while

I've recently taken delivery of an expensive Acratech GXP SS ball head. This is the lighter weight option (of 2) as the heaviest lens I will use it with is my Nikon 100-400.
I'm impressed with the quality/performance and my combo. does not move at all when mounted on the head. Normally I would have to use a heavy duty (and heavy) ball head to achieve this but the Acratech is as good as it claims. It can also double as a gimbal head if necessary. I bought this for landscape/general use and pair it with my Gitzo series 2 traveller. For wildlife I have the Wimberley monogimbal.

As mentioned above I also would look at the Acratech panoramic head or long lens head. The chap who owns Acratech hs posted a video on YT explaining the difference between the 2. Apart from the markings they are more or less the same.

Full time landscape photographer Thomas Heaton has posted a YT video about his use of the Acratech head. I don't know which tripod he uses though.

I've recently taken delivery of an expensive Acratech GXP SS ball head. This is the lighter weight option (of 2) as the heaviest lens I will use it with is my Nikon 100-400.
I'm impressed with the quality/performance and my combo. does not move at all when mounted on the head. Normally I would have to use a heavy duty (and heavy) ball head to achieve this but the Acratech is as good as it claims. It can also double as a gimbal head if necessary. I bought this for landscape/general use and pair it with my Gitzo series 2 traveller. For wildlife I have the Wimberley monogimbal.

As mentioned above I also would look at the Acratech panoramic head or long lens head. The chap who owns Acratech hs posted a video on YT explaining the difference between the 2. Apart from the markings they are more or less the same.

Full time landscape photographer Thomas Heaton has posted a YT video about his use of the Acratech head. I don't know which tripod he uses though.
in the video he has a link to iFootage Tripods (T7) whoo I've never heard of

+1 for the lightweight Sirui travel tripods. I have the Sirui UltraLight T-024SK and it is a great piece of gear.

Now I don't do a lot of landscape work with my tripod, so I am still stuck with the cheap ball head it came with, but so far that works for me.

Best head overall is the Arca-Swiss D4 GP head which I bought from Robert White in the UK. It allows for fast adjustment of tilts and also micro adjustments. This saves me a great deal of time getting the camera aligned properly. The head weighs 2.3 lb and supports a load of up to 66 lbs.
I use this head for landscapes myself and love it. Had reservations when buying it due to the cost, but glad I got it. Between this head, and a gimbal, all my needs are covered. I have a RRS BH-55 that I never use anymore.

I have this head permanently mounted on a Gitzo 2541LVL tripod that weighs 3.5 lb and has a quick leveling feature built into it.
That is a real nice head. WIsh I could justify it's cost. I'm still using their B1 Monoball (I have 2) that I bought in the 90's (Arca Swiss stuff is well built). I don't shoot a lot of landscapes, or single row pano's, so the RRS Panning clamp is my solution since it's easily removed when not needed,. And now I'm down to using a Sidekick when I want to support my 600/6./3 (that combo works fine with a Z8, not so great with a Z9). But if I was 'starting over' it'd be with that Arca Swiss head..

I have to say “flexshooter pro”......just because no one has yet and somebody always does.
sorry, just couldn’t resist.
I like mine…and it’s been my only head for a couple of years. It has one flaw…maximum elevation is only 15 degrees which makes overhead shots impossible. I am getting a SmallRig lightweight Fluid head to solve that issue as we are doing a CR trip in the summer and will need more elevation than that.

Ball heads that are arduous to get level again each time you move the tripod is not a good choice for landscapes where you want a level horizon or to adjust tilt for objects in the scene. I have two ball heads but they are terrible for landscape photography. I have two gimbal heads and they are also terrible for landscape (or architectural) scenes.

The Arca-Swiss D4 head makes leveling a two step process and with modern cameras being able to display leveling marks for adjustment I do not need a special tripod platform with a bubble level. Once you have used this type of head you will never go back to a ball head. Even the Manfrotto 410 head is better than the most expensive ball head.

I first realized the deficiencies of a ball head when I was doing group shots at weddings and time was of the essence as was having perfectly level shots so as to avoid having to fix the images later in post (time consuming and no billable). When up to 30 people are waiting for the photographer to quickly set up the tripod and camera ones priorities change as does the value of a quick to level head. The D4 GP with its geared adjustments makes it very fast to get a camera perfectly level or adjusted to the situation.

I believe Leofoto makes a knock-off of the Arca-Swiss D4. They call it the G4. Looks almost identical, and it's half the price of the Arca-Swiss. I've never used any of their stuff, so not sure what the quality is like.

Back