Trouble with Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Every one of those photos is back focused yet you have a +10 setting in af fine tune. I would ignore whatever testing you are doing and set the af fine tune to 0 and see what happens. If its happening consistently for you but not at all for Nikon then its not likely an issue with the lens. I would expect the issue to present itself instantly to the Nikon tech if it was the lens.
Hi Wes,

"I would expect the issue to present itself instantly to the Nikon tech if it was the lens." Don't forget the conspiracy counter point, Wes. What if Nikon doesn't want the tech to fix the problem.

My psychiatrist told me a long time ago that just because he diagnosed me as being paranoid doesn't mean that the rest of the world isn't out to get me and ruin my life. Why would Nikon be any different than my ex wives attornies? 😱

Have a good one everybody!

I upgraded all my Nikon lenses to their top of the line products in 2021, including their f2.8 70-200, after years of great service from multiple older Nikon lenses. Photos were soft with the 70-200 (tack sharp with f2.8 17-55 and f4 180-400 TC), and in my autofocus fine adjustment testing, it required +18 to -2 at different focal lengths (20 adjustment gap), so I sent it in for servicing in Aug 2021. Received it back, tested it, and gap was down to 9 (not great), so I tried it on safari. 90% of photos were blurry throw aways, yet when I would switch to my f4 180-400 TC for the same scene, same focal length, pics were tack sharp. So, I sent the lens back to Nikon to service a second time, asking customer service to be SURE they tested AF throughly before sending it back. They sent it back saying it was all good, and when I tried it photos again were soft. I performed another test, and the adjustment gap across focal lengths was up to 27 (!). I called to ask for a replacement, and Nikon is stating they will test it again and send back if it tests well. My problem is, clearly Nikon’s testing is not picking up whatever is wrong with this lens. It never worked, and still is bad after two separate servicings as evidenced by simple autofocus testing. From reviews, clearly this is normally a great lens. I sent it back a 3rd time, imploring Nikon NOT to send it back a 3rd time, but rather replace it. That is where things stand today.
I spend a fortune (like everyone who does) to go on African safari a couple times a year, and simply cannot bear the thought of taking this lens only to have 90% of photos blurry throwaways again.
What do you experts think, or anyone experience something similar?
Given what I spend with Nikon, and given servicing has failed twice, I cannot comprehend how they would not replace it at this point……

Before i would send the lens in to Nikon a second time, i would have tried the lens on another camera, preferably a D500 if that's the camera you use, Or rent/borrow another 70-200 fl for a day.

Also I would on the second return to Nikon send in the lens and camera with examples of images on the card, the xif data really helps.

With all my lenses at some point i have Nikon check focusing is on target or well with in spec while my camera is in there with them, i do this only once every year or so depending on use levels, usually when ever i get Nikon to do a sensor clean or firmware update, Nikon's only down the road for me so its easy.

LUCKLY- I have the 70-200 FL, its absolutely stunning at F2.8 F4 F5.6 F8 F11 at 70 or 200mm especially at 200mm, brilliant with the TC 1.4 III, 100% perfect with D850 Z9 with adapter even, D6 and even the older DF, especially on the D3X wow, and yes the D7100.

I Never ever use fine tune,

my 70-200, 300 2.8 VR II and as needed rented 600F4 FL images on all cameras are perfectly tack sharp.

I am not promoting Nikon just stating my experience, Nikon has in every way been 5 star plus with service and support which is the one of the main reasons i stay with them.
Luckily i live in a country that seems like a small town by comparison to most other countries LOL.

Only an opinion

Well this thread will come to 1 of 2 possible conclusions. It will end the same way all these threads end. Either the OP will finally convince Nikon the lens is bad and will get it repaired or replaced after 3 tries, and will come back here to update us..... or the OP has/will realize he was doing something dumb and we will never hear about this again. lol

Well this thread will come to 1 of 2 possible conclusions. It will end the same way all these threads end. Either the OP will finally convince Nikon the lens is bad and will get it repaired or replaced after 3 tries, and will come back here to update us..... or the OP has/will realize he was doing something dumb and we will never hear about this again. lol
You are right. Hopefully anyone needing help with any particular issue knows more at the end of the message thread than they did when they posted the question or started reading the thread. Otherwise, it's just that familiar deja vu all over again feeling when certain topic reemerge.

One last comment about OEM return policy issue. It's valid but absolutely avoidable. Read the Cicala articles, and the advice of other resources on line, carefully enough and his advice it to never return products directly to Nikon (or Sony, Canon, etc.) if you aren't happy with them for any reason. Return them to the vendor who sold it to you. And , of course, only buy from vendors with solid, guaranteed return policies.

If the product is faulty Nikon will deal with it properly 100% in my years of experience.

The fact Nikon have returned the lens twice saying its fine already indicates highly it may not be the lens. Hence a few simple tests at home will clear this matter up.

When a job comes in to Nikon its usually but not always a different technician each time that services it, technicians are usually fully factory trained and use advanced computerized diagnostic equipment and follow serious standard protocols.

I know Nikon here in Sydney is very much on point at all times. My experience has been over years with many many club members service needs as well as major personal service.

As i mentioned in earlier comments, simple test at home could narrow down the issue avoiding inconvenience and missed shots.

However that doesn't mean that the lens sample may not be the best and Nikon has tightened and reset the lens before striking out and replacing it, which is another protocol.

Time will tell.

I agree with the simplified response of Wes Peterson

Many good discussions can provide lots of good information out of the simplest post.

Only an opinion

If the product is faulty Nikon will deal with it properly 100% in my years of experience.

The fact Nikon have returned the lens twice saying its fine already indicates highly it may not be the lens. Hence a few simple tests at home will clear this matter up.

When a job comes in to Nikon its usually but not always a different technician each time that services it, technicians are usually fully factory trained and use advanced computerized diagnostic equipment and follow serious standard protocols.

I know Nikon here in Sydney is very much on point at all times. My experience has been over years with many many club members service needs as well as major personal service.

As i mentioned in earlier comments, simple test at home could narrow down the issue avoiding inconvenience and missed shots.

However that doesn't mean that the lens sample may not be the best and Nikon has tightened and reset the lens before striking out and replacing it, which is another protocol.

Time will tell.

I agree with the simplified response of Wes Peterson

Many good discussions can provide lots of good information out of the simplest post.

Only an opinion
Opinions are good. Nothing wrong with yours at all.

Last edited:
Well, closer to a conclusion.
After the good advice received here, sent my D500 in.
Nikon reports a severe back focus on it. This confounds me given it does not show up in 5 other lens, but at this point my working theory is: this D500 and this 70-200 f2.8 just must not play nice together. Nikon is unable to service my D500 as it is apparently grey market.

So, ordered a Z9 and looking forward to testing the lens with it once both received. Will report back then.

(Sadly I was unaware of the grey market issue when I ordered this d500 back in 2017 from Red Tag camera. Will not be making that mistake again, B&H or similar now).

Nikon reports a severe back focus on it. This confounds me given it does not show up in 5 other lens, but at this point my working theory is: this D500 and this 70-200 f2.8 just must not play nice together. Nikon is unable to service my D500 as it is apparently grey market.

So, ordered a Z9 and looking forward to testing the lens with it once both received. Will report back then.

(Sadly I was unaware of the grey market issue when I ordered this d500 back in 2017 from Red Tag camera. Will not be making that mistake again, B&H or similar now).
Kimble, I am sorry to hear that.

Regards to the grey market D500, it was not a service issue, but beginning 2019, Nikon USA really clamped down on the grey market body, so it was not your fault.

Also, I had been hesitant to put full frame lens on the DX body about 6 years ago after running into the focus issue.

You will enjoy the Z9.

Oliver

Here's the link to the NikonUSA page dealing with gray market issues. The link to the authorized dealer listings is near the bottom of the page.

Conclusion:
Received my f2.8 70-200 back from Nikon and tested on my new Z9, working very well after a day of testing.

So, seems THIS 70-200 did not play well with MY specific D500 (all other lenses are good on the D500, and the lens works well on other bodies).

(Side note, my review of my new new Z9: Wow).

Thanks again for everyone’s input.

Conclusion:
Received my f2.8 70-200 back from Nikon and tested on my new Z9, working very well after a day of testing.

So, seems THIS 70-200 did not play well with MY specific D500 (all other lenses are good on the D500, and the lens works well on other bodies).

(Side note, my review of my new new Z9: Wow).

Thanks again for everyone’s input.
Sweet. Enjoy.

Back