Upgrade from 200-500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whilst the IQ of the 200-500 is good, I want something that focuses faster and, at the moment, the 500 5.6 pf is the prime candidate (pun intended).

I said in a previous post that extra reach was also something I'm interested in, but I've come to the conclusion that 500mm is probably the sweet spot, even though there might be occasions where I might wish for more.

I'd like it to be transferable to mirrorless (via adapter, of course), for when I go that route, and the 500pf seems to work well on ML cameras, from what I've read.

Before I take the plunge, is there anything else I should consider?

Camera is a Nikon D500.

Before I take the plunge, is there anything else I should consider?
I think you'll be very happy with the 500mm PF especially if you tend to shoot hand held.

The only other lenses I'd suggest are getting a good deal on a used G or E-FL series big prime as in a 500mm f/4 or 600mm f/4 but even at used prices it will be hard to match or beat the price of a 500mm PF and those big lenses are really best when shot from a solid support so they lean towards a different style of field work than the light weight PF lenses.

I had the 200-500 for a few days and then returned it in favor of the 500PF.
I never regretted it, not for a second.
It's just sooo much easier to carry and you don't neet to zoom in and out permanently ;)
Autofocus is much faster than with the 200-500.
I'd say it's absolutely mirrorless transferable. I used it on the D850 and on the Z9 and have seen no difference in performance.
It also works very well with the TC 14 III.

There must be a reason why so many people here use it.

The 500PF is a great lens and after getting it I sold my 200-500 and my 500mm f4. But I've always preferred shooting prime lenses. So the only comment I have for you is to make sure you're ready to go prime. Many people find it hard to lose the flexibility of the variable focal length.
Tbh I use the 200-500 at 500 98% of the time, and the AF speed outweighs FL flexibility, but thanks for the comment.

I am getting very good results with the Megadap 211 Z to E adapter on my Z9 with a Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3. I have chatted with others who are also getting good results. My 200-500mm f/5.6 is collecting dust. I just got tired of waiting on Nikon. I’m still waiting for the Z 800mm f/6.3 S to become readily available,

Adding to the other comments, I’d also consider when you plan to move to mirrorless as it is nice to have native lenses. The 500mm PF works great on the D500 and works really well on Z cameras. I do prefer my 400mm 4.5 S over the 500mm PF on mirrorless which is why I suggest taking it into consideration.

I am getting very good results with the Megadap 211 Z to E adapter on my Z9 with a Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3. I have chatted with others who are also getting good results. My 200-500mm f/5.6 is collecting dust. I just got tired of waiting on Nikon. I’m still waiting for the Z 800mm f/6.3 S to become readily available,
Thanks, but I don't have a mirrorless camera.

A 500pf on a D-500 is, in my view, the ultimate BIF camera. Focus speed, overall weight and IQ are outstanding.

However, on a FF Z camera it won't have the reach that you want unless you shoot in DX mode. If you do shoot in DX mode you will have subject ID, wysiwyg EVF and more f/s but about the same size RAW image. The rumored Z8 is supposed to be less than 1/2 pound heavier than the D-500 and you will need the weight of the FTZ adaptor but you will save overall because of the swap of the 500pf for the 200-500

A 500pf on a D-500 is, in my view, the ultimate BIF camera. Focus speed, overall weight and IQ are outstanding.

However, on a FF Z camera it won't have the reach that you want unless you shoot in DX mode. If you do shoot in DX mode you will have subject ID, wysiwyg EVF and more f/s but about the same size RAW image. The rumored Z8 is supposed to be less than 1/2 pound heavier than the D-500 and you will need the weight of the FTZ adaptor but you will save overall because of the swap of the 500pf for the 200-500
I would like to combine my D810 and D500 into one camera, but I don't think I can afford both the Z8 and the 500pf. If they unleash the mythical 200-600 at the same time as the Z8, and the price is right, then I might have a decision to make but, as it stands, I can only really upgrade to the 500pf at the moment.

It looks like I might be picking up a new 500 pf tomorrow, assuming the store manages to transfer it from another branch as they said. In anticipation, I've just been watching @Steve 's video review for this lens and he mentions a concern over the lens foot: For those who have this lens and have taken this advice, what have you replaced yours with?

It looks like I might be picking up a new 500 pf tomorrow, assuming the store manages to transfer it from another branch as they said. In anticipation, I've just been watching @Steve 's video review for this lens and he mentions a concern over the lens foot: For those who have this lens and have taken this advice, what have you replaced yours with?
I have the Wimberly foot and it works great. I think there are quite a few options out there that are good.

I had the same setup for about a year (D500 with 500PF). I used it sometimes with 1.4xiii teleconverter which worked as well (giving a full frame equivalent of 1050mm). I ultimately sold it because I needed the flexibility of a zoom. But since your reply above says you shoot your zoom at 500mm 98% of the time, I think this will be a very good switch. I am not sure the focus will be a lot faster than what you have (maybe it will), but it will definitely be sharper and easier to carry and handhold.

I had the same setup for about a year (D500 with 500PF). I used it sometimes with 1.4xiii teleconverter which worked as well (giving a full frame equivalent of 1050mm). I ultimately sold it because I needed the flexibility of a zoom. But since your reply above says you shoot your zoom at 500mm 98% of the time, I think this will be a very good switch. I am not sure the focus will be a lot faster than what you have (maybe it will), but it will definitely be sharper and easier to carry and handhold.
Steve actually goes into the AF speed in his review and the 500 pf came out almost twice as fast as the 200-500 in some circumstances, and consistently faster across the board.

Steve actually goes into the AF speed in his review and the 500 pf came out almost twice as fast as the 200-500 in some circumstances, and consistently faster across the board.
I shot both the 200-500 and 500pf on a D500 in the past and can confirm this. When it comes to AF speed, it's not even close (the 500pf is a lot faster).

I was very late to the 500PF party, as the 200-500VR is so good, and the 500 f4 OS Sport is beyond good, but...if I had to keep one...it'd probably be the PF lens. It's ridiculously sharp and contrast is top-shelf. AF is very fast and may me the most accurately focusing long lens I've used...with zero calibration. Shooting BIF is a different world with this lens, and I had good success with the other two (handheld and tripod). I don't care about weight, so that's not a factor but the travel portability factor is, so... Also very good IQ with the 1.4x, but you're starting with 5.6, so...there's that. My initial trepidation was regarding specular highlights, but that has never been a factor...to this point. My kayaking combo is not the PF and either 70-200VRII or Sigma 100-400OS...very satisfied. Oh...bodies are DSLR...500, 850, & 750.

I added a $20 lens plate to my 500mm PF and it was a better solution than a third party foot for the lens. With the plate I had a 50% greater range for adjusting the balance of the lens if used on a gimbal head. That said, I never used a tripod with this lens which was a key benefit as I could be far more mobile as a result.

If your looking for f glass in my opinion is to upgrade in this order wherever you can place yourself. 200-500mm<500pf<600 f4 in that order. If your mirrorless then toss the 800pf after the 500pf and below the 600 4’s.

I use the Hejnar foot. I shoot with the D500 and the 500 pf

I use the hejnar foot, very sturdy, but not removable if that is important to you. I think there is a slightly longer one to balance with a z9

Also recommended by Steve

Back