Upgrade from 200-500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the hejnar foot, very sturdy, but not removable if that is important to you. I think there is a slightly longer one to balance with a z9

Also recommended by Steve
Thanks. Let's hope they don't charge a fortune to post to Canada.

It looks like I might be picking up a new 500 pf tomorrow, assuming the store manages to transfer it from another branch as they said. In anticipation, I've just been watching @Steve 's video review for this lens and he mentions a concern over the lens foot: For those who have this lens and have taken this advice, what have you replaced yours with?
I use the Kirk foot. Where the release lever is located it is virtually impossible to release accidentally.

It seems the Hejnar shipping to Canada is somewhat tortuous (2-8 weeks plus taxes etc), and the Kirk is out of stock. Is the Wimberley one a good alternative? It seems to have a weird installation method, though.

It seems the Hejnar shipping to Canada is somewhat tortuous (2-8 weeks plus taxes etc), and the Kirk is out of stock. Is the Wimberley one a good alternative? It seems to have a weird installation method, though.
To provide another perspective on this foot situation, I've been using 70-200's from the original VR to the latest E FL, the 500pf and now the Z 100-400 and have never had an issue with the foot coming loose or coming off. I'm fully aware that if I don't tighten the clamping bolt properly AND check it, the foot can detach when carrying by the foot due to the way the release lever is positioned.

I find having the removable foot design very convenient and I leave it off the lenses 95% of the time. With convenience often comes responsibility, which I'm completely willing to assume. It's the same as piloting an airplane, driving a car or operating a boat...lack of attention to detail has consequences. Just ask some Audi drivers! :)

I haven't had this happen personally, but I can imagine that if some material were to get lodged in the gap that compresses when you tighten the clamping bolt, then you might think the foot is well clamped when it is not, but a quick check of the foot tightness should reveal if it's loose.

Cheers!

To provide another perspective on this foot situation, I've been using 70-200's from the original VR to the latest E FL, the 500pf and now the Z 100-400 and have never had an issue with the foot coming loose or coming off. I'm fully aware that if I don't tighten the clamping bolt properly AND check it, the foot can detach when carrying by the foot due to the way the release lever is positioned.

I find having the removable foot design very convenient and I leave it off the lenses 95% of the time. With convenience often comes responsibility, which I'm completely willing to assume. It's the same as piloting an airplane, driving a car or operating a boat...lack of attention to detail has consequences. Just ask some Audi drivers! :)

I haven't had this happen personally, but I can imagine that if some material were to get lodged in the gap that compresses when you tighten the clamping bolt, then you might think the foot is well clamped when it is not, but a quick check of the foot tightness should reveal if it's loose.

Cheers!
It's funny: when I picked up the lens yesterday, I looked at the connection, tightened up the clamping bolt and thought "what's the fuss about? Perhaps Nikon have changed the design since people's initial experiences", as it seemed secure. Of course, I haven't taken it out into the field, yet, but it survived the couch test :LOL:. Having said that, it's happened to enough people to make one think "why take the risk?".

What I'm also thinking is, to use the lens with my tripod, I have to attach my Manfrotto plate to the foot, and the plate is much longer than the foot, meaning that I can grasp it further away from the release mechanism, which might help.

Thanks, Brian.

Can I mount another plate to it? My tripod head is a Manfrotto MVH-502 that uses their own plate standard.
Yes, you can. If you plan to remove the foot occasionally or often I would go with a different foot because the wimberly has a crush pin that you insert in the foot before tightening it. Sort of a weird design.
It's funny: when I picked up the lens yesterday, I looked at the connection, tightened up the clamping bolt and thought "what's the fuss about? Perhaps Nikon have changed the design since people's initial experiences", as it seemed secure. Of course, I haven't taken it out into the field, yet, but it survived the couch test :LOL:. Having said that, it's happened to enough people to make one think "why take the risk?".

What I'm also thinking is, to use the lens with my tripod, I have to attach my Manfrotto plate to the foot, and the plate is much longer than the foot, meaning that I can grasp it further away from the release mechanism, which might help.
I didn’t have an issue with the original either, but wanted the arca Swiss plate. I think if the screw loosens up, it is easy to accidentally push the release button when carrying it.

Yes, you can. If you plan to remove the foot occasionally or often I would go with a different foot because the wimberly has a crush pin that you insert in the foot before tightening it. Sort of a weird design.

I didn’t have an issue with the original either, but wanted the arca Swiss plate. I think if the screw loosens up, it is easy to accidentally push the release button when carrying it.
The only time there is an issue with the OEM foot is “if” the clamp is loose and you’re carrying the lens by the foot, it is possible to trip the protruding release lever. The Kirk differs in that the release is pretty much flush with the clamp so it take conscious effort to trip it.
m
My issue with the Wimberley is that when it is removed there is a loose crush pin that is easily lost. Anyway, it’s about what works for you.

One word: Threadlock!! :p :LOL:

Back