Used Market: Cameras and photography gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ReCommerce is yet another new buzzword

Interesting article, I found it fascinating that the Fuji was the most "in demand" camera for 2023. I know very little about this particular camera

“The most in-demand camera of the present day and up to the end of this year is definitely the Fujifilm X100V. And I think it’s just freeing up in the new market now. But not many people have got their hands on that this year [in 2023],” says Barker.

Interesting article, I found it fascinating that the Fuji was the most "in demand" camera for 2023. I know very little about this particular camera

“The most in-demand camera of the present day and up to the end of this year is definitely the Fujifilm X100V. And I think it’s just freeing up in the new market now. But not many people have got their hands on that this year [in 2023],” says Barker.

That camera, the Fuji X100V, got its demand artificially swept up by a lot Millennial hipsters wanting to have a retro looking camera to carry around and look cool taking street photos. Its not a bad camera per se, but its definitely come into silly high demand more because its a fashion/culture statement than an exceptionally good image maker. I think those folks want to have a cool looking camera like a Leica, without the Leica price tag.

It was a TikTok craze for the retro travel vibes, the X100F and X100T did quite well on the second hand market throughout the year as well.. I think at some points surpassing their original MSRP. Couldn't believe it when I heard about it, considered selling mine, but I love it too much.

I benefited from hipsters and cool people (I regrettably am not one), in that I sold my X100S last spring for better money than I ever expected thanks to the Fuji-frenzy. While I was at it, I replaced my tired old Nikon 7000 as well. Then, shocked to discover I couldn't find an X100V in stock anywhere, I doubled down on Nikon and purchased a Z30, then a Z6 plus several awesome Z lenses, and am now eyeing a Z8. And have spent way more than if I just bought a stupid X100V at an auction and left it at that.

I went backwards financially, but this unexpected spark to embrace Nikon's Z platform has rejuvenated my love of photography. Thank you, hipsters everywhere! (y) :D

Last edited:
The outline of Mpb's strategy on warranty is interesting, particularly covering shutter life of older ICLs.
Over the past decade, I've bought several Nikon DSLRs as Used, a couple showed obvious wear. All performed perfectly, and were traded in in due course. Similar experience with many lenses, which were otherwise unaffordable New at the time. All these items were covered by a 6 month warranty.

All of my Olympus cameras were used when they were purchased as were most of my lenses. One new purchase is on its way from MPB, and one of the older ones will be sold after the "new" one arrives. A great big "Thank You" to everyone who feels compelled to purchase the newest bright and shiny camera or lens that comes along, even if it has more capabilities and technology than they'll ever use. Those folks let me buy their barely used gear, labeled "Like New", for one-third to one-half of the price of the same camera when it was right out of the box from the factory -- which is when they bought it. I always buy from re-selling companies with good reputations, a warranty and a liberal return policy -- and have never gotten a defective piece of gear.

Alternative tag-line:

Used car salesman praises the benefits of used cars :p.

Joking aside, I've bought some stuff from mpb.com and it was always a good experience.
But I would go to them for less expensive or more niche purchases...

That being said, I also bought my latest camera and lens brand new with 24 month warranty (official importer, not grey market) for about 400$ less than they were selling on mpb.com at the time.

And as another example, where I live, Olympus 150-400 was selling last month brand new 24m warranty for 1000$ less than on their site...

Unfortunately, between bad actors and time-wasters, it's beggining to look less and less like people will be willing to deal with private "recommerce" and more with intermediaries like KEH and MPB.

Seems like the analysis of the data is pretty self-serving. And downright mis-represented. For example price of "flagship" cameras has not gone up in real terms. On average ILC prices have gone up due to the drop in low end sales not due to prices going up on higher end products. There's that old saying normally attributed to Mark Twain, " there are lies there are damn lies and then there are statistics". And the prediction of the used market increasing so dramatically is likely extrapolated from the recent/current anomaly due to people switching from DSLR to MILC. Anyone counting on the trend continuing is likely in for a major disappointment.

I have thought about getting another body to back up my Z9.

I am wondering about gray market cameras in the used market. I know even B H indicates it can't verify the provenance of its used equipment.

In particular MPB has several used Z9's advertised as "like new:" for more than a grand under the new price.

Am I in danger of getting a camera I could not get serviced in the US?

Seems like the analysis of the data is pretty self-serving. And downright mis-represented. For example price of "flagship" cameras has not gone up in real terms. On average ILC prices have gone up due to the drop in low end sales not due to prices going up on higher end products. There's that old saying normally attributed to Mark Twain, " there are lies there are damn lies and then there are statistics". And the prediction of the used market increasing so dramatically is likely extrapolated from the recent/current anomaly due to people switching from DSLR to MILC. Anyone counting on the trend continuing is likely in for a major disappointment.i

If they think prices will increase, they should be willing to pay extra now

It was a TikTok craze for the retro travel vibes, the X100F and X100T did quite well on the second hand market throughout the year as well.. I think at some points surpassing their original MSRP. Couldn't believe it when I heard about it, considered selling mine, but I love it too much.
I had an X100T and I really liked it but the 35mm equivalent focal length isn’t my favorite. I sold it before the craze started and had very little interest in it. Wish I would have known the TikTok craze was going to happen.

Totally anecdotal but........I recently sold my D850 to MPB because they offered me more than KEH, B&H, or Used Photo Pro.
I look at a variety of sites and at times find prices can vary quite a bit. Of course, I'll sell my camera/lens to the top buyer

Seems like the analysis of the data is pretty self-serving. And downright mis-represented. For example price of "flagship" cameras has not gone up in real terms. On average ILC prices have gone up due to the drop in low end sales not due to prices going up on higher end products. There's that old saying normally attributed to Mark Twain, " there are lies there are damn lies and then there are statistics". And the prediction of the used market increasing so dramatically is likely extrapolated from the recent/current anomaly due to people switching from DSLR to MILC. Anyone counting on the trend continuing is likely in for a major disappointment.
Yup ... my Z9 cost less than my D6.

Give me enough data and I can create any story you like

Implications for Used markets, as CaNikon wind down production of their respective DSLR systems...

OTTH, realistically, a significant proportion of current new lenses and DSLRs can be expected to outlive their current owners; as they are resold to new owners

Last edited:
Implications for Used markets, as CaNikon wind down production of their respective DSLR systems...
As I recently posted in another thread - I recently tried to trade-in a couple of pieces of nice F-mount glass at my local camera store - a large regional dealer with 3 stores I believe. They would not take F-mount glass not even from their employees. The market is saturated I was told.

As I recently posted in another thread - I recently tried to trade-in a couple of pieces of nice F-mount glass at my local camera store - a large regional dealer with 3 stores I believe. They would not take F-mount glass not even from their employees. The market is saturated I was told.
I have heard similar stories from others and that some brick and mortar stores are only taking dslr gear on congsigment.

Also very low price offers from on line buyers MPB, KEH etc..

Makes me thankful that I got very lucky and got my Z800 pf back on 5-1-22 and that triggered me to sell of my Nikon 600 f/4 E and all of my other dslr gear. It was all sold off and $ received by the end of May 2022 and that paid for my late in the game transition to the mirrorless world.

Used copies of some F-Mount lenses have always been scarce : eg the 58 f1.4G and 200mm f2 primes, and this is going back 8+ years. My Used copy of the 58 G took months to find and the majority sell at a stiff price Used. Checking mpb UK, there's currently no copy of either Nikkor for sale.

On the other hand, also judging from mpb UK, the prices of the two f2.8 400's exemplify the current situation.... One of the two copies of the 400mm f2.8E FL on sale is reduced to £4,169 (Mint condition) against the RRP of £12,999 - compared to a mint 400mm f2.8S TC for £13,099 for sale - close to the New price of £13,499

Last edited:
Back