USED PRICES

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was offered $9700 by one and &10,450 by another. I sold all my Nikon gear for $18,340 on my own. That is why it’s insulting.

That's the part I don't get. One is wholesale price, one is retail. You went through the trouble selling it yourself and kept the margin. It's how the economy works.

I'm selling a motorcycle lift. A new one costs 3200. I have it listed on Craigs for 1800, the local Handy dealer offered me 1000. Seems totally normal to me. 🤷‍♀️

Anyone wants a motorcycle lift?

That's the part I don't get. One is wholesale price, one is retail. You went through the trouble selling it yourself and kept the margin. It's how the economy works.

I'm selling a motorcycle lift. A new one costs 3200. I have it listed on Craigs for 1800, the local Handy dealer offered me 1000. Seems totally normal to me. 🤷‍♀️

I guess if a person is okay with taking a hit like that then it’s fine but I just can’t stomach taking a financial hit like that. There is no right or wrong, simply what one can tolerate financially.

Here's a thought...never let emotion enter into business transactions. As a person who was involved in the negotiation of contracts worth in the 10's of M$ on occasion in my working career and who has always been active in buying and selling a wide variety of items on CL, FB Marketplace and others over the years, nothing insults me. Why should it?

While some might say that these low-ball offers from dealers might be insulting, the expectation that you should be paid anything less than 10-30% below going used retail could also be considered insulting by the dealer. From the dealer's standpoint, it's a far more reasonable business decision to offer a low ball price than to say they don't take trade-ins...that puts the ball in your court...do you take the money and run or do you decide it's worth your time and aggravation to sell it yourself...with time and aggravation being a very individual matter...in my case, I find it an entertaining endeavor! :ROFLMAO:

As mentioned recently in another thread, I sold my 500pf in a couple days, locally via FB Marketplace at my $2K asking price. What would I have gotten for that lens at a dealer or KEH??? Granted, it was in excellent condition, but I saw one here in the marketplace selling for $1500 and that included a TC14E III...crazy! That said, I understand many are very uncomfortable with the prospect of selling themselves.

Cheers!

I already have one, but it's one of the older Craftsman models that isn't one of the longer models with a full platform that covers front and rear wheels...which I'm assuming yours is. My BMW R1100RT is a little dicey on my current one...my Triumph, not so much! I'll give ya $1200 and you pay the freight! :ROFLMAO:

I already have one, but it's one of the older Craftsman models that isn't one of the longer models with a full platform that covers front and rear wheels...which I'm assuming yours is. My BMW R1100RT is a little dicey on my current one...my Triumph, not so much! I'll give ya $1200 and you pay the freight! :ROFLMAO:

Handy BOB 1500... I had a fully dressed Indian Chief on it, didn't even know it. Alas, I no longer build bikes...

I know someone at a well known used camera firm that works long hours serving photographers like us, including fielding calls from customers insulted they don't get retail prices for used gear when selling to the firm. My friend is always polite when enduring these conversations, but privately wonders how these customers expect him to work on their behalf if he didn't get a salary. He has payments on his modest home and old car, and obligations to feed and clothe his family. How could he get paid if customers got full retail for their gear from his firm? How could his company survive with zero margin?

It's a mystery that this is a mystery...

To aim for a middle ground here, I can understand the negative, even insulting feeling of an offer lower than the value of an item. When I tried to sell my $2000 keyboard and they offered me $800 I did have a feeling like that. I later had one that was worth around $1200 in theory but in need of a repair totaling around $50 in parts which they offered me around $100 for. I might call the instinctive reaction the feeling of being insulted. At the same time, I was always able to step back and realize that this is how business has to work and so in practice to take no offense and just say no thank you and find a better avenue for selling.

For what it's worth, I still haven't sold that second one, so there is something to be said for the convenience of the store that will just buy something.

A shout out to BCG Marketplace. Changing needs recently led me to sell an excellent condition Nikkor Z 100-400 mm lens. Resellers offered less than 50% of the current new price. Matched up on Marketplace and agreed to a price around 75% of new. Buyer got a good discount on a excellent condition, used lens and I got a much better price than the resellers. Took less than a week to get it paid for and shipped. Private sales really are the way to go. Older DSLR gear might take longer to find a buyer but I still believe I would be better off than the resellers offers.

The biggest advantages of resale shops is convenience (toss it in a pre-paid box and don't bother with sale), and not dealing with flakes and scammers. I've had a few of those over the years, and higher-dollar sales always make me a bit nervous.

Also, sometimes the sale price isn't that much different. I've had some cases where I could sell a lens for $280 or $300 between open market and MPB.

You're still throwing away cash, but sometimes convenience and a quick sale is worth it. I just don't think it is for bodies or long telephotos... which is why I haven't traded in my 500PF for a 600.

I’ve only purchased one item from KEH, a used 500 f/4 in “bargain” condition. It was priced pretty fairly and in much better condition than I expected. I’ve sold many lenses to them over the years, and their purchase price is a little low but it was worth it to me because of the convenience and ease. Plus, I get all my money out of my equipment through use.

No idea - maybe they get enough takers that they don't think it's a problem. Who knows? I tend to agree with you though, I think maybe some explanation along with the offer would be nice. They may just not care one way or the other though. Again, who knows?

Remember that people sell camera equipment for a variety of reasons. Estate sales come to mind. I wouldn't take it personally, they are just making an offer based on market demand and the potential for needing to warehouse the gear for a while.

Speaking as a buyer on a budget, I'd suggest trying to sell at a price point that is 25% to 30% less than what you see on mpb ,keh, etc. You might attract a buyer. Someone did that on this forum and it moved immediately.

I just bought a very nice d7200 with 20,000 actuations and a grip, with 2 batteries for $300 from a local camera store. They had 2, the one I bought was priced at $460. A 2nd one was $299, with 28000 actuations but was rough. They offered me the better one at the lower price and I took it. I'm pretty happy with it except I hate no touch screen for live view work and checking photos.

I now have a backup body for sketchy areas, I can send my d500 in for service, and have a 2nd body that will work for landscape, and botanical work. It works with my dx 16-80 f2.8-f4. It also works well with my 55mm micro nikkor f2.8. It also works with my 500mm PF (bought used), 300mm pf (refurbished), and 150-600 g2 tamron.

I don't know what mpb or keh might offer someone with a d850 to sell. But I might have bought one in the $1000-$1200 range if it was low use and in good shape. A good used d6ii or d7ii are so close in price to good quality used D850s priced at $1800 that a buyer will probably head that direction.

I think I could end up with a z8, a d850 or z7ii, and keep my d500 and d7200 because I like them and use them and they won't be worth much. I'll probably slowly add z-mount lenses after getting the z8.

The used dslr gear is helping me learn and really enjoy my photography. On a budget.
But I still expect to move to mirrorless (z8) soon.

I thought it might be helpful for folks to hear from a buyer's perspective:). I'm quite respectful of what folks have put into the gear they are selling, but I am also mindful that I'm buying into an old system.

I just realized I replied to a different post than I intended....:)!
I think I mainly need to learn field craft and wanted to say that I'm buying into old gear to do this faster...

When I moved from DLSR to mirrorless, I tried to sell everything immediately. Some things, 300PF, 500pf D-500s I received reasonable offers from KEH and MPB. However, for older gear the quotes were amazingly low. I gave that gear to friends.

In my view, better to bless somebody than to sell lowball because if you give away the gear, you'll feel good about it but if you sell lowball, you'll feel lousy.

It depends a lot on the retailer. I had good returns on Used F mount gear with two shops that I've supported and bought from repeatedly. But the important caveat is almost all my items have been as trade-ins.

These are both reputable brick& mortar stores who value their loyal clientele, but have also declined items advising to try and sell privately. and one stated simply last year, "we've stopped buying Used DSLRs from anyone, until we clear our backlog!"

One has also sold on 2 of my expensive Exotic telephotos on commission. In fact, a commission sale can benefit all parties, as I was prepared to negotiate on the brokered final price.

On the contrary, a few years prior to finding my current shop in London, I sold off my film gear for very little.... Circa 2015. Having long missed that boat, ironically my FM2 would have sold more over 3 times as much today.

Everyone seems to forget that the dealers usually don't know you at all or what your gear may have been subjected to. It may look great from the outside and may even work well at first but have a serious problem that only shows up intermittently (look at various forums and you'll find comments about those problems). Dealers are always taking a risk when they buy used gear.

When I purchase a camera, just like when I buy a car, I plan to keep it until it's beyond economical repair -- I get my money's worth. Sometimes I don't keep it that long, in which case I usually pass the camera or car on to family members. I've sold a few old cameras and considered whatever I got a bonus. Although I sold a bit on eBay years ago, now I'd rather sell to MPB or KEH and avoid the hassle that my final sale on eBay entailed.

For years I have relied on the Buy & Sell feature on NikonCafe, FM and now here on BCG.

Besides all the other advantages of being an active member of these types of forums, one gets to "know" others by how they express themselves, their attitudes, etc. So when it comes to buying and selling, I have a better idea of whether or not I want to deal with them where money is concerned. ;)

Except for mirrorless the entire used photo market is soft. I just paid less than $5 each for nice 4x5 filmholders, $135 for a 4,000WS studio power pack. The people who want to sell are dropping retail prices radically, it's hard to say no.

Back in the '70s the rule of thumb was a new camera was worth half once you bought it and 25% selling it back. I think used values have been artificially high until recently.

I think a large part of it is that demand for DSLR cameras and lenses is falling by the day. I'd wager you'd see much better prices if they were selling mirrorless gear. I think these companies know there's going to come a point where DSLR stuff just isn't going to sell anymore. Last time I was at Roberts Camera I was in their used camera warehouse and it's overflowing with DLSR camera and lenses. I think they just don't want any more of them.
Before the advent of MILC, the quality and performance of good DSLR equipment was fine. It did not suddenly deteriorate when MILC began. I have so far gone the other way, sold my first MILC body and decided to stay with my DSLRs for quite a while. It will likely outlast me and I have not so far experienced any handicap from using it.

Before the advent of MILC, the quality and performance of good DSLR equipment was fine. It did not suddenly deteriorate when MILC began. I have so far gone the other way, sold my first MILC body and decided to stay with my DSLRs for quite a while. It will likely outlast me and I have not so far experienced any handicap from using it.
I think cameras like the D850 and D500 are still just as good as anything out there. I would argue their autofocus is even better in certain situations.

That's the reason that once I decided to go mirrorless, (Dec 2021), I quickly sold all my DSLR gear. I knew DSLR camera and F mount lens prices were going to plummet. I lost a bit of money, but got a LOT more than if I had waited even 6 months. And I sold to private parties since I knew KEH, MPB, etc would not be competitive with making a sale to a private party.

Steve's correct.....a lot of resellers have more used gear than they want to stock. Resellers are offering what they think it is worth to their business. I don't think they are going out of their way to offend potential customers. Many people just aren't aware of what the current valuations are - regardless of what it originally cost.
Art Morris, who would sell used camera gear on his site, would stress the fact that you could never get what you thought the used gear was worth. He was selling direct to other photographers and was getting better prices than people would get trading at a camera store.

I got similar "offers" from both KEH and MPB on some gear I was looking to sell. One offer was $2000 for an absolutely MINT 600mm f4G with accessories (Wimberley foot, LensCoat cover, Zemlin lens cap, drop-in CPL, trunk also in mint condition). Um...no. Similar offers on other lenses. I too understand they need to make money, but I decided I'd rather try to sell it privately, or just keep it!
I have found that including "extras" like the LensCoat, L Brackets, feet, etc. do nothing to the "offer". I think the companies just view these extras as a PIA that causes them more issues (taking the time to have to remove LensCoats, etc. I've had MPB (which I love doing business with) actually tell me NOT to include extras because they just "get in the way". I've had better luck selling my L Brackets, feet, and other small or extra stuff on Fred Miranda, eBay, and on FB.

You would not expect camera stores to sell new equipment with only a 10-20% markup, right? But many people expect to be offered 80-90% of the eventual selling price when selling used gear to camera stores. I know it's disappointing when getting an offer much lower than hoped for, but remember additionally that when a store buys old equipment, the price they can sell for will only go down in the future. They take a risk with most of the purchases they make.

Last year I stopped in Precision Camera in Austin and they have a massive used section and really do a lot of trading etc. they had a sign that said no longer buying DSLR cameras. I inquired as to why and they said with how slowly they are selling they had a 10 year supply and that was last year!

Keep in mind they have two large stores and are always busy. They would gladly take a film camera as they can’t get enough of those but a D850 they don’t want it.

I am glad I got out when I did!

Back