USED PRICES

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There was never real money in bodies except some Leicas and tiktok-fad cameras. It's always been lenses, and for the past four five years, since Arri and Sony introduced their new cinema sensors, more and more DPs are going for older glass. And the rest of us follow... The FDs are especially valuable.

This really doesn't make sense to me because from keeping an eye on listings for some higher end stuff it's clear both that it's selling and that the stock is limited, at least in many cases. For instance, the 500pf which a couple of months ago had ~a dozen in stock at MPB and was this past week totally out of stock at these two sites. MPB is now back up to two, only one of which actually works, while KEH still has none. BH lists three in stock.

This is jus one lens, but it really demonstrates that the idea that dealers are stuck with massive stockpiles of DSLR gear that they can't sell is not altogether true. Now, it may be true of some older lenses or certain categories of lens - maybe shorter primes, for instance (I haven't comprehensively researched all of this), but it's definitely not true of everything DSLR.

The 500 f/5.6 PF is probably not a great indicator, in my opinion. It is a very popular lens for use on the new Z cameras with an FTZ adapter, and the closest new Z lens to it, the 600 f/6.3 PF, is $4,800 as compared to $2K or less for a used 500 PF. Plenty of people will be happy to save around $3K for a lens that is onlty100mm shorter and a 1/3 f-stop faster.

Meanwhile, I noticed today that there are a large number of D500s, D850s, and even some D5s and D6s at KEH, MPB, etc.

F-mount lenses have the advantage of being usable on Z camera, so I wouldn't expect as much of a rush to sell lenses as camera bodies.

The 500 PF used sells in OZ for $3300 AUD or $2100 USD, so a dealer paying $900 USD to retail at $2100 USD is a slim margin but it will be a faster mover than other offerings as its a popular DSLR lens.

The 500 PF has had a big hit compared to what my club members paid originally.

My listed RRP $9000 AUD 300 2.8 VR II was worth 6 months ago still $5500 AUD used retail, today its struggling to get $3000 AUD.

I think the D850 D6 cameras will be a memorable classic tool, in years to come they will be like my D3X struggling to get $1000 AUD.

Mirror less cameras will suffer a much greater or volatile depreciation compared to DSLR gear of the past.

Mirror less will come out with more frequent models and upgrades, I feel we will follow the patterns of the smart phones.

I have said all along that 2024 2025 will see some exciting change and development.

The generation of new younger buyers have most of their lives been raised on hybrid phones and lots of video with their smart phones so its all second nature.

The direction of the internet platforms is all video so the camera industry as we have known it is defiantly falling in line with the future.

G version DSLR glass will or is even now falling into the D series pricing faster than expected.

I mean a D850 and a 500 pf is really still an admiral tool especially if you still have good photography skill sets.

FWIW The guy who bought my Z9 just recently was an award winning wild life photographer coming from a d500 and D850, he has been blown away with the tracking on the Z9 and has done beyond expectation some quality amount of video work, he loves it except for the weight and size, never the less he is very happy and impressed for now.
Recently his parting comment was, unless you need the wide with tracking small birds etc and high FPS or to do lots of video, he can do everything else on his D850 very happily.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I really don't understand this idea you read all over photography forums that "video is the future" or that the internet is now all about video. Video has been ubiquitous all over the internet for more than a decade now it's not really more of a "thing" than it was before. Meanwhile there is very much still a place and a need for still photographs which also isn't all that much different. On top of this, I think it's pretty fair to say that DSLRs from years ago could produce better video than most of the smartphones people are using to record a lot of the video that is on the internet, and the fact is that content creators out there on Youtube and now Instagram and Tiktok have been using DSLRs for video for years and while some have shifted to mirrorless cameras, many are still happily working with their old already paid for DSLRs.

I really don't understand this idea you read all over photography forums that "video is the future" or that the internet is now all about video. Video has been ubiquitous all over the internet for more than a decade now it's not really more of a "thing" than it was before. Meanwhile there is very much still a place and a need for still photographs which also isn't all that much different. On top of this, I think it's pretty fair to say that DSLRs from years ago could produce better video than most of the smartphones people are using to record a lot of the video that is on the internet, and the fact is that content creators out there on Youtube and now Instagram and Tiktok have been using DSLRs for video for years and while some have shifted to mirrorless cameras, many are still happily working with their old already paid for DSLRs.
I think you are definitely correct and I would venture to say that most photographers don't engage in video whatsoever. I have been shooting for well over two decades and have only gotten serious about video in the last 3-4 years. I still predominantly do still images but also find video intriguing as well as rewarding.

I'm not seeing any 500 E stuff on MPB unfortunately. KEH had a few. I may be in the market for a 500pf but am keeping am eye on forum offerings for now.

In any case, I wonder if the DSLR used market isn't quite as universally low as many are suggesting. As a quick experiment I tried to figure what it would cost me if I wanted to sell all my Z mount equipment and replace them with DSLR equivalents and I think I'd probably about break even or lose a small amount rather than making any kind of profit.
I looked at MBP UK, loads of 400E, 500E.

There are reports that Leica registered a new D-Lux series camera in China. This reminded me they had been out of stock for a long time along with the LUMIX LX100 so I checked and this line was discontinued. Checking KEH and MPB, my LX100 is selling for around what I paid new and the Leica equivalents for more than new cost. This all might be related to TikTok trends, but there seems to be some resurgence to the compact point and shoot market outside of the X100 series as well. Today, Nikon Rumors posted about the big increase in Nikon Coolpix internet searches. It is interesting what can bring something back to being relevant.

Brian, that's amazing. I need to start a Tik Tok trend for used gear I am thinking of selling. I'll bet with the right viral posts, millennials all over the world will be falling over themselves to bid up old F-mount lenses and outdated DLSR's if we play it right!

First, I probably have to figure out how to think like a millennial...

I would agree with about all of the above. So, I will keep my DSLRs and f mount lenses and use the adapter for my Z9. The only lenses I plan to purchase are Z mount that I don't have in the f mount format. I shoot events and so far, I can't find a reason to replace my must have lenses like the 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, etc. I think they work just as good with the adapter, if not better.

Folks like to site a popular lens like the 500 PF.

Well...............a highly regarded member has had his 500 PF for sale for over a month here and on another forum.....Under $1900 ......not one person interested. Recently reduced even more. Reality is the market is pretty saturated and interested buyers for used gear is quickly shrinking.
Unfortunately that might be true. I wish I'd waited until Dan's copy had been listed. I bought my used one for $2k last July and it needed repairs, so total was around $2300. His is in much better shape. If anyone is "on the fence ", I can't recommend it more highly.
I'll say that it is the nicest lens I own. Addictive in how sharp it is.

I just bought enlarger lenses as the motivated sellers have really dropped prices. At this point there are likely more lenses out in the world than enlargers as a lot were scrapped due to size/storage issues.

I had a Z9 for about a year, I quickly bought a Z8 when it came out and loved it. I looked at online prices and saw that there was quite a lot of Z9 cameras listed for sale. I got creative and offered it to someone in trade. I got part of the payment in cash and part in trade to go on workshops with this person. He's happy and I'm happy. I think given the amount of stock for sale we have to get creative to sell what we have. For dSLR gear I usually get a price for selling to one of the companies and then offer it up for sale at somewhat above that price as I do like to think that my old but very good gear is making someone else happy. I don't like gear just sitting around around gathering dust.

Well...............a highly regarded member has had his 500 PF for sale for over a month here and on another forum.....Under $1900 ......not one person interested. Recently reduced even more. Reality is the market is pretty saturated and interested buyers for used gear is quickly shrinking.
This resonates with me. I've been on the fence about keeping vs selling my 500 PF (in like-new shape), and after seeing equally good versions offered for the prices you mention (that include box and case which I don't have) I decided to sell to a used house for not much less than I expect to net in a private sale after price negotiation, pp fee and shipping.

My proceeds were well below the used purchase price 9 months ago, but it's a predictable consequence of Nikon's market turn from F- to Z-mount. I timed it wrong, so it's on me. Though tempted to have negative emotions around the $ loss, I decided to focus on the delightful images created with it, and move on. In the end, it was like an expensive rental, and one I thoroughly enjoyed.

Just a thought as to trying to sell via classified ads. I think a lot of people look to places like MPB and KEH rather than the classifieds to buy. I look at MPB every once in a while and the inventory of f-mount lenses and later model DSLRs turn over pretty quickly.

I sold my 500 PF in March 2023. Listed here, another website and FM in like new condition @ $1,900 for 6 weeks. I have a very positive rating on both FM and the other website. They were selling for $2,100 on FM. I only got one offer from a person on FM with no posting history and no buy/sell history. We talked on the phone and I determined he was trust worthy.

Folks like to site a popular lens like the 500 PF.

I might have reached out had I known it was still an active listing. I tend to assume anything more than a week old is no longer active. Honestly this one was far enough down the page that I don't think I saw it. I purchased one last week from a different source.

I might have reached out had I known it was still an active listing. I tend to assume anything more than a week old is no longer active. Honestly this one was far enough down the page that I don't think I saw it. I purchased one last week from a different source.
You really should not assume a listing over 1 week is inactive....... All it takes is a PM to verify the listing is still current. And we do ask that members mark the items that are sold - and most of them comply with that request.

Last edited:
A friend of mine went to Midwest Camera in Columbus, Ohio and was offered these prices for equipment in excellent condition. One must make a profit but this “offer” is pretty insulting.
I am well aware of the ins and outs of business so no need to try to justify this to me. Just a word of warning to those who are considering trading your equipment to a dealer.

$10 ea. for TC14II and TC17II
$300 for 200-500
$250 for 14-24 f2.8
$250 for 70-200 AF-I
$250 for D810 with battery grip
$300 for D500 with battery grip
$900 for 500PF
Disappointing for sure, but sadly that’s the marketplace. One has to consider the opportunity cost of carrying slow moving inventory. Mirrorless equipment comes in and leaves fairly quickly (higher demand), whereas DSLR items may sit around for days, weeks, months before a prospective buyer is found. If you’re in business, you can make money either by selling lots of lower margin things quickly (read mirrorless), or fewer items at higher margins less frequently (DSLR).

I had a Z9 for about a year, I quickly bought a Z8 when it came out and loved it. I looked at online prices and saw that there was quite a lot of Z9 cameras listed for sale. I got creative and offered it to someone in trade. I got part of the payment in cash and part in trade to go on workshops with this person. He's happy and I'm happy. I think given the amount of stock for sale we have to get creative to sell what we have. For dSLR gear I usually get a price for selling to one of the companies and then offer it up for sale at somewhat above that price as I do like to think that my old but very good gear is making someone else happy. I don't like gear just sitting around around gathering dust.
I think you did a very wise thing.

Here in the Bay Area, I have seen mint condition used Nikon Z9s are listed just below $4000; it was a kind of shocking.

Two years ago I tried to sell my Sony 24-70mm G Master lens to KEH, the offer I got was $180; later on I sold it vis Cragislist for $1400.

:ROFLMAO:

Oliver

It can be frustrating to see the prices you get when selling used gear. I've seen financial statements on one of the big used equipment shops. The information is a little dated now, but they make a lot less money than you think. They offer about half or less of what they expect to sell the gear for within 60 days. Their buying costs are before considering costs to ship, inspect, and repair gear being acquired. That runs around 10%. They typically have a gross profit of around 40%. Selling costs for used camera gear typically run around 28-30% - including shipping and handling costs on gear they sell. That leaves them with a profit before admin and overhead of around 12%. But there is a lot of gear that stays in inventory and continues to depreciate. And they usually have a very liberal return policy, so there is some warranty cost as well as a reasonable amount of returns. After all those costs, there is still a business to run so you need management, IT, facilities, etc. IT costs are remarkably high, and they can't cut IT costs. Overall, they net around 8%.

These companies have a substantial investment in inventory. The inventory they are carrying is going down in value pretty rapidly these days, so it's easy to lose 5-10% annually on their inventory (not sales). If they turn their inventory every 90 days on average, that's still 1-2% off their net profits. Slow moving items carry a lot more risk.

There are a couple of companies that will sell your equipment on consignment. They still charge 25-30% for selling costs. If you try to sell it on consignment, the dealer you work with will probably take 20-30%. With both of these approaches, you bear the costs of insurance, depreciation, and potential damage until it sells. The reality is whatever price you ask is probably above market and will end up being discounted to get the gear sold.

I think you are definitely correct and I would venture to say that most photographers don't engage in video whatsoever. I have been shooting for well over two decades and have only gotten serious about video in the last 3-4 years. I still predominantly do still images but also find video intriguing as well as rewarding.

Its interesting how things are changing, the other post reply regarding the stills future versus video i feel video is clearly diminished the use of stills.

Yes, i see surprisingly many long standing club members who have been doing stills for decades moving slowly and exploring some video, along with doing stills, why because they can now with newer hybrid mirror less cameras and lenses as well as the means to process - edit and view their videos.

A twist, 3 award winning competition entries were one taken on a smart phone, the other was taken by a Drone, you would not know it they were that good,
the third was taken on a DX D500 and 200-500, we are seeing entries slowly growing from smart phones and drones, the Samsung S24 and I phone 15 Pro Max for other than fast sports action has performed very competitively in the landscape, seascape, portraiture and macro and street category.

The world to me is clearly changing,
if you look at the camera industry all the new gear is designed largely to deal more and more with video which is absolutely telling of the future for now and to come.

If you look at the internet, say U Tube and products on peoples web sites they are mostly if not always now a short video, tutorials are all video.
If you look at Ken Rockwell sites they used to be all text and stills, now they have transitioned to video.

For myself It is as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west absolutely clear that video is very much the future, by

a) the generational change of people coming through.
b) the manufacturing industry direction of cameras and lenses being taken.
c) the internet drivers Tik Tok, Instagram, u tube, face book and more to come i am certain LOL.
d) and above all the way many people prefer to look at subjects today.
e) we all have the means to deal with video creation and viewing, streaming sharing.
f) 65% plus total internet views are on a smart phone ? highly effective for video.

Instagram - example, a still shot of a eagle catching a fish is a static frozen moment, a video of the same moment has a sequence of action with sound,
ie: the public views for the still may be 400-500 if that, the short video clip 300 K- 500 K, why,

1) because video is more engaging and interesting,
2) everyone on earth well almost everyone has a device of some sort to be able to view video,
3) the internet platforms being the drivers promote and favor video as they can place adds or video clips.

The equation is clear and simple based on whats actually happening, the way we do things today is now vertically interrogated from the cradle to the grave all or predominately for video.

Not possible on DSLR as much as with mirror less hence selling DSLR gear is a tough journey hence the low prices and glut of DLR gear which is not a surprise.

Change is here or as i call it adaptation.
T
he link below is a trending direction engaging newer generational videographers or even some still shooters in the art of using and editing video........

https://mark-smith-photography.learnworlds.com/course/wildlife-video-for-wildlife-photographers

Even Nikon buying ? RED or its technology compliments its future direction and a means of R and D.

I even believe that as are stills so is 35mm basically at the door step of its use by date as main stream methods or tools.

Watch this space, Nikon may well be the first to jump the 35mm ship to a form of medium format say with a equivalent of DX in MF.

We are seeing camera stores now carrying more video tools and accessories, nearly every mirror less camera and lens has been designed and made more with video in mind, the generation of long standing still photographers are on average more up in the age group and possess good skill sets.

A loot of traditional DSLR or Film skill sets are not required anywhere as much with the some of the new gear going forward, this allows for creativeness and compositional focus, and market appeal or growth for manufactures.

I mean new mirror less cameras now soon to be embracing more AI and pretty much do everything for you especially for video.

Do you need to have Geek skills so to speak, well sadly yes LOL. The new younger generation coming through take to all this like ducks to water.

So am i far from right or am i wrong or just different, its from where i sit and see things happening around me only that's formed my opinion.

The solution that faces us all is adaptation if it suits or stay where we are, for me i put being happy in what i do first above both.

Would i prefer to look at a still shot or video, in their lies the answer and direction of photography versus videography, will there always be a place for stills yes is my feeling but i prefer to watch a film or video clip.

Should we do what ever makes us happy ABSOLUTELY.

Last edited:
Back