Using a iPad Air 2 as a Playback Screen

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

I hope you can help with my question?

I would like to be able to use my iPad Air 2 as a play back viewing screen. I don't want to transfer the files, I just want to connect my Nikon bodies [D500 / D850] and view the photos from the SD card. My thinking is that I would like to view what I have taken at any time but on a larger portable screen.

I don't take a laptop on any trips / holidays as this stays at home and I transfer my photos on my return. I do view the photos taken throughout the day on the cameras viewing screen during / after but as this is small you can only gauge the focusing through enlarging the image.

The connection on my D500 / D850 is a micro B USB with a lighting connection on the iPad Air 2

Happy to buy any connection / adaptors to enable this. I have the standard micro B USB to USB A cable that came with the camera

I know I can use Snapbridge to control the camera from the iPad and have this enabled already
I know I can connect the camera to a PC, Laptop or iPad with a Tether Tools cable but this views the photo and saves the file as these are taken

I have watched a mix of videos but these all focus on wi-fi transfer / tethering and I just want a larger viewing screen to plug in [such as the iPad] as I don't intend to use wi-fi while away from home.

I have my first safari planned for September this year in the Masai Mara staying on two conservancies. This has been a long build up after waiting 3.5 years with two delays due to Covid since this was first booked. The benefit has been upgrading my kit as we have waited.

I know I will be filing the SD cards [x6 at the moment] and want to make the most of this trip of a lifetime

So being able to view without taking a laptop would be great to ascertain how the keepers are stacking up

Hope you can guide me, open to all comments and any corrections on my thinking?

Nobby

Last edited:
Hi,

I hope you can help with my question?

I would like to be able to use my iPad Air 2 as a play back viewing screen. I don't want to transfer the files, I just want to connect my Nikon bodies [D500 / D850] and view the photos from the SD card. My thinking is that I would like to view what I have taken at any time but on a larger portable screen.

I don't take a laptop on any trips / holidays as this stays at home and I transfer my photos on my return. I do view the photos taken throughout the day on the cameras viewing screen during / after but as this is small you can only gauge the focusing through enlarging the image.

The connection on my D500 / D850 is a micro B USB with a lighting connection on the iPad Air 2

Happy to buy any connection / adaptors to enable this. I have the standard micro B USB to USB A cable that came with the camera

I know I can use Snapbridge to control the camera from the iPad and have this enabled already
I know I can connect the camera to a PC, Laptop or iPad with a Tether Tools cable but this views the photo and saves the file as these are taken

I have watched a mix of videos but these all focus on wi-fi transfer / tethering and I just want a larger viewing screen to plug in [such as the iPad] as I don't intend to use wi-fi while away from home.

I have my first safari planned for September this year in the Masai Mara staying on two conservancies. This has been a long build up after waiting 3.5 years with two delays due to Covid since this was first booked. The benefit has been upgrading my kit as we have waited.

I know I will be filing the SD cards [x6 at the moment] and want to make the most of this trip of a lifetime

So being able to view without taking a laptop would be great to ascertain how the keepers are stacking up

Hope you can guide me, open to all comments and any corrections on my thinking?

Nobby
I use my iPad all the time for viewing and editing photos. The easiest way to transfer them to the iPad is to get the Apple lightning to SD card reader. It cost $29. You just plug the reader into the iPad and insert the card into the reader. Launch the photo app and just select the Nikon icon on the left sidebar. You then select which photos you want to import and hit the appropriate import command. Thats it. You can then edit each photo.

If you have an iPhone with a lightning connector you can do the same thing. You will be limited by both the iPad and iPhone storage capacities you have available, especially if you shoot RAW.

Ralph,

Thank you for the reply

Can you just view the photos on the iPad screen with the Apple lightning to SD card reader so you don't have to import them. I'm not looking to import or edit the photos until I return home just want to view on a larger screen?

Nobby

I use SnapBridge. You can see the images without downloading first.
also, I use the native Photos app … again, yiu can view without downloading. This is what I do on field trips, except I download then save to an external ssd drive. …gives me 2x backup.

I completely understand your desire to view on a larger screen than the LCDs in the camera, but I'd urge you to reconsider taking a laptop on your trip, especially a trip that you've waited so long to take! While one more thing to cart, a laptop allows you to back up your camera cards to another device, and you should consider at least one other external drive as well, just to be safe. Typically, I take two separate Samsung 2TB SSDs, and back up images to both (using my laptop as a driver) at the end of every day's shoot, then keep them in separate places (usually one with me, and the other at the hotel or lodge). You never know what might go wrong - cards and equipment break or get lost/stolen - and if they do, at least you'd have images from your trip. Equipment can always be replaced (insurance is wise), but not the experience itself. How tragic it would be if you traveled all that way, and spent all that money, then had no images to show for it. Just a thought.

On big trips I try to take enough cards to last the whole trip without having to overwrite them. As mentioned above, I also back up to an SSD using a MacBook Pro. Small, light form factor. Not great for editing but good enough for in the field.

Ralph,

Thank you for the reply

Can you just view the photos on the iPad screen with the Apple lightning to SD card reader so you don't have to import them. I'm not looking to import or edit the photos until I return home just want to view on a larger screen?

Nobby
As Patrick says, you can view them without importing them. But I always import them as part of my backup plan. I also bring enough SD cards to act as backups as well. I don’t reuse the cards. When they get full I store them . I‘m pretty sure the iPad Air 2 is not able to interface with an external drive but I’m not positive about that. I just purchased the new M1 iPad which is able to interface with external drives.
I plan on using this iPad strictly for photos. If you want to do the same down the road, get one with a minimum of 512gigs. Go for 1 tb if you can afford it.
I found that my iPad works great on trips. Even at home I hardly ever use my computer for editing. My iPad does 90% of my editing. Absolutely no need for a laptop. But I’m sure there will be many who will disagree with me. 😜

I use SnapBridge. You can see the images without downloading first.
also, I use the native Photos app … again, yiu can view without downloading. This is what I do on field trips, except I download then save to an external ssd drive. …gives me 2x backup.

Patrick,

Can I ask you to expand on what are the native apps as I am not sure if I am looking at the right app on the apple site

Nobby

Last edited:
I check images on the back of the D850 using the magnify button but there is not a lot that one can do while actively shooting. I check the histogram but I most of the subjects photographed in Africa are not bright white or solid black and so no need for exposure compensation.

I always take a 12" netbook with me and use it for email, importing images to review them, and to keep detailed information regarding the trip. An iPad weighs 1.5 lbs and is 8.5 x 11 inches in size. The Lenovo X12 I bought is 11 x 8.0 x 0.6 inches in size and weighs 2.4 lbs and has a detachable screen that can be used as a tablet with a Leonovo Pen. The Lenovo X12 cost me $1200 as compared to an iPad with the same storage capacity that sells for $1400. I own two iPads but when traveling I take a netbook instead. Saving 9 ounces of weight is not that important and I have other ways to reduce weight of luggage and camera kit.

You can purchase an SD card reader for your iPad and view the images on the card without choosing to import them.

If your only need is to view the images from the camera on a larger screen what about purchasing a small HDMI monitor? I believe the D500 and the D850 both have HDMI out connections and could be connected to a 10" monitor.

I would agree with others that when taking a major trip I am always concerned about having multiple backups of my images. I have looked at a number of ways to make backups without a computer but they are usually too costly or too slow. I have considered purchasing a small refurbished laptop for about $300 and several external drives to use solely for backing up my images.

The Apple photo app which comes on the iPad when you purchase it works very well for quick edits. If you want more versatility, you can purchase Affinity photo for the iPad. It does most of what Photoshop can do. I think there is a Photoshop for iPad app as well. The advantage of Affinity photo is that you actually own the software . It’s a one time fee.

Patrick,

Can I ask you to expand on what are the native apps as I am not sure if I am looking at the right app on the apple site

Nobby
That’s the “Photo” app.
in Photo you’ll see the camera card on the left side. Generally I’ll import all to a new album. In any event, I’d recommend creating a new album for any images you import.
in my workflow, after any import, I’d attach my Sandisc SSD .
from the photo libtprary I’d created a
id now select all and save to the ssd, again, creating a new folder.

The Apple photo app which comes on the iPad when you purchase it works very well for quick edits. If you want more versatility, you can purchase Affinity photo for the iPad. It does most of what Photoshop can do. I think there is a Photoshop for iPad app as well. The advantage of Affinity photo is that you actually own the software . It’s a one time fee.
I also use Affinity Photo on my iPad and it’s on my iMac 27” too

All,

As always, great advice, the card reader is now on the way which solves how to view the photos on a the iPad without importing them

Just need to reconsider backing up and do I take a laptop

Nobby

I completely understand your desire to view on a larger screen than the LCDs in the camera, but I'd urge you to reconsider taking a laptop on your trip, especially a trip that you've waited so long to take! While one more thing to cart, a laptop allows you to back up your camera cards to another device, and you should consider at least one other external drive as well, just to be safe. Typically, I take two separate Samsung 2TB SSDs, and back up images to both (using my laptop as a driver) at the end of every day's shoot, then keep them in separate places (usually one with me, and the other at the hotel or lodge). You never know what might go wrong - cards and equipment break or get lost/stolen - and if they do, at least you'd have images from your trip. Equipment can always be replaced (insurance is wise), but not the experience itself. How tragic it would be if you traveled all that way, and spent all that money, then had no images to show for it. Just a thought.

I do this too. Laptop plus two SSD drives. Then I have three copies in case something happens. Also my wife and I like to edit our images that evening in the hotel room, at least the important ones. Waiting until we get home would almost be like waiting for your film to be returned from the developer. We want instant gratification. :)

I also use Affinity Photo on my iPad and it’s on my iMac 27” too
Patrick,
Are you using the latest version of Affinity photo on your iPad? If you are , are you having any issues importing a JPEG into it from Apple photos. When I try to import an edited photo from the photo app into Affinity photo, it get reduced to a highly pixelated 120 x160 image. RAW files import fine. It started after I updated it.

Patrick,
Are you using the latest version of Affinity photo on your iPad? If you are , are you having any issues importing a JPEG into it from Apple photos. When I try to import an edited photo from the photo app into Affinity photo, it get reduced to a highly pixelated 120 x160 image. RAW files import fine. It started after I updated it.
I just did a quick check and no, jpegs look ok. Version is 10.1.3 and iPad is iOS 15.3.1

Ralph / Patrick: Are you able to edit photos with Affinity without importing them first onto the iPad? I wasn't sure if Nobby was just wanting to view photos or also work on them. So far, I haven't been able to get any info where an iPad Air 4 or Pro can work directly from an external drive, always has to import onto the iPad. This seems mean to me that there is a lot of copying on, working on, and then copying off the iPad back to a SSD if dealing with a large number of photos - for you guys with the Z9, 30 frames a sec will create A LOT of photos taking up a lot of space!

Ralph / Patrick: Are you able to edit photos with Affinity without importing them first onto the iPad? I wasn't sure if Nobby was just wanting to view photos or also work on them. So far, I haven't been able to get any info where an iPad Air 4 or Pro can work directly from an external drive, always has to import onto the iPad. This seems mean to me that there is a lot of copying on, working on, and then copying off the iPad back to a SSD if dealing with a large number of photos - for you guys with the Z9, 30 frames a sec will create A LOT of photos taking up a lot of space!
I always import directly into the Photo app first. Haven’t tried to use ssd connected to iPad yet. That’s next on my list. My guess is that you can work directly from ssd. I know that it works with the file app Which interfaces with external storage. The iPad also acts as a backup system as well as an editing device. I find working on iPad much easier than working off computer. Only use computer for complex edits. But I’m finding that affinity Photo on the iPad actual works as well if not better than computer.

Thanks Patrick. You helped me solve the issue. I was using iOS 15.2. After I updated to 15.3.1 the issue was resolved. 👍👍
Patrick, what I’ve found so far is that any photo file imported directly from the File app into Affinity photo for iPad imports fine. But when I try to import an edited RAW file directly form photo app into Affinity photo , it is highly Pixelated (120 x 160). Very strange.

My iPad Air (4th Generation) the one with USB C connector allows you to view images via SnapBridge. You can connect to a flash drive or an SSD like a Samsung T5. I think I will opt to keep the number of devices as small as possible and as simple as possible, if I ever get to travel for a birding trip again.

Patrick, what I’ve found so far is that any photo file imported directly from the File app into Affinity photo for iPad imports fine. But when I try to import an edited RAW file directly form photo app into Affinity photo , it is highly Pixelated (120 x 160). Very strange.
ii haven't checked. But I doubt you can edit an NEF in Photo. So I'm not sure what you refer to as an edited raw file. If a photo is edited in Photo, is the default HEIC rather than JPEG? - it's a setting in Settings ...Camera/Formats .... although I might be quite wrong.

I WAS able to edit an image directly fro my Sandisc SSD plugged in via USB-C cable to my iPad Pro,,,this one:

IMG_E284EE17B023-1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

and this raw

IMG_CB7ABE5409BB-1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back