Using a iPad Air 2 as a Playback Screen

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ii haven't checked. But I doubt you can edit an NEF in Photo. So I'm not sure what you refer to as an edited raw file. If a photo is edited in Photo, is the default HEIC rather than JPEG? - it's a setting in Settings ...Camera/Formats .... although I might be quite wrong.

I WAS able to edit an image directly fro my Sandisc SSD plugged in via USB-C cable to my iPad Pro,,,this one:

View attachment 33852

and this raw

View attachment 33853
Patrick,
I edit all my Nikon RAW file on my iPad with Apple‘s Photo App. Every photo posted here was edited with the photo app. It works really well. I hardly ever use my computer any more for that purpose. HEIC is a setting for the camera app not for the photo app.

Patrick,
I edit all my Nikon RAW file on my iPad with Apple‘s Photo App. Every photo posted here was edited with the photo app. It works really well. I hardly ever use my computer any more for that purpose. HEIC is a setting for the camera app not for the photo app.
Thanks Ralph. I wasn't sure about HEIC - its given me issues before now!
So that's also interesting, your editing with the Apple Photo App. I'll need to try it later.

Apple’s Files app is a great way to view photos without importing, reading directly from the card reader, and using the same app, you can backup directly to a connected drive. Below is my iPad Pro with a USB-C dock. The iPad’s charger is plugged in to provide power to everything. I have the card reader and a SSD drive connected to the hub. Both drives are accessible in Files and you can view and copy (backup) as needed. Depending on what editing app you use, you may be able to open a file directly from the drive or card reader without importing to your iPad’s photo library.

This is the setup with the Files app open and viewing a file directly from the SSD. I’ve been doing it this way for a few years and mostly use Adobe’s Lightroom and Photoshop apps on the iPad for edits. Personally, I don’t miss the laptop at all.
AE163B5A-208E-48AC-93D4-749CFA4DC3D6.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Apple’s Files app is a great way to view photos without importing, reading directly from the card reader, and using the same app, you can backup directly to a connected drive. Below is my iPad Pro with a USB-C dock. The iPad’s charger is plugged in to provide power to everything. I have the card reader and a SSD drive connected to the hub. Both drives are accessible in Files and you can view and copy (backup) as needed. Depending on what editing app you use, you may be able to open a file directly from the drive or card reader without importing to your iPad’s photo library.

This is the setup with the Files app open and viewing a file directly from the SSD. I’ve been doing it this way for a few years and mostly use Adobe’s Lightroom and Photoshop apps on the iPad for edits. Personally, I don’t miss the laptop at all.
View attachment 33861
Tony, neat. I have the Apple adaptor, but while it is supposed to pass the power through, it doesn't, I think the USB-C port is bust.
What hub is that? Update…found it https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08M3ZY8SZ/

Last edited:
Tony B,

I have leant something new today from your set up

Just discovered that I can zoom in on the photos from the SD card if they are load via a card reader and accessed through the Apple file app on a iPad, you can't do this reading straight off the card reader.

My post to start this chain led to ordering a card reader and this now get me to where I wanted to be, [Using a iPad Air 2 as a Playback Screen] thank you for sharing your post.

Part two, I am now reviewing how to transfer photos from an SD card to a portable hard drive without using a laptop?

So far I have discovered RavPower File Hub which has a card reader and internal battery built in and you just connect whatever back up device / portable hard drive to this hub and transfer across. The video link below kicks in at 3m.22s to explain the set up [about $60]

Does anyone have any experience on using this as I could use any back up drive? [would need to find a seller for the RavPower File Hub in the UK]

Or suggest any other devices that I could use?

I have also looked at hard drives with an SD reader build in such as the LaCie Rugged Raid Pro, open to other drives but I was trying to keep the cost down

This is all linked to the planned safari and the only reason not to take a laptop is to further reduce weight as I don't edit any photos on holiday [just view them] and then edit when I return back to the UK

Nobby

Nobby -

Happy you found my suggestion useful. I’ve been doing it this way since Apple opened up external USB drive access to iOS/PadOS. For backing up cards, I backup my cards to the 1TB SSD drive in the clear housing using the Files app. If you are looking for something that is an all-in-one, no iPad, no laptop solution, I have an older Sandho/Hyperdrive with a 500GB drive (easily replaceable) that I am no longer using. It has SD and CF card slots. PM me if interested.

UPDATE: following on from @Tony B #28 I went and bought this Novoo adaptor and its 100% what I needed.
I works out of the bag. Plug it into my iPad, attach the card reader and Sandisk SSD and as Tony says, I can copy directly using the Files App.
In addition, I can plug in a power source, but also, I can connect and see my images on an external screen using the HDMI socket.

51ThEDFNVuL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

additional: With this dock connected to a monitor/TV with an HDMI cable, then connected to the iPad, it automatically mirrored the screen ... there's probably a setting somewhere, but I didn't need to do anything. Great Result!

Last edited:
Back