Vocal cormorant. What do you like/dislike about my photo? 🤔

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Borden

A0C9DC53-2EFB-414E-8B6E-2C9B8C08086D.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Something feels odd...
I didn't know they have blue throats and can bend their beaks like that.
It's a very nice image but... are you trying to test us with an AI created image ? :sneaky:

Reactions: seh
There is not much to criticize but since you ask. I would add a little color to the background post processing with a linear gradient. I would also get more detail in the black feathers. If you are not keen on PP it would be ideal to add light, maybe +2 to get better exposure and more detail on the feathers. This would blow out the background but this is easily dealt with in LR. It is always better to properly expose the bird and deal with the blown out background

Beautiful image and bird. Good interpretation of the scene. Nicely executed. if It was my image - I wouldn't crop anything off, as for me the space adds to the mood, as does the background which I really like. But of course we all see things differently.
There might be a LITTLE more details to extract out of the body of the bird - but I would really be happy as is. Very happy in fact.

The only two things i would critique is the absence of detail in the blacks of the body and perhaps too much upper background. Maybe try a 3:4 ratio or 4:5 to reduce the area. Otherwise very appealing.

This image is a winner the way it is.

That said, I wonder how the balance would work out if the bird went just to, or below, the half-way height of the picture? (I.e. more space above the bird.)

I'm not aware of any cormorant with a blue throat. The eye color is off. So either overdone processing, or an A.I. generated image. The blacks on the chest are way too crushed also.
Being unfamiliar with a particular variety of bird, its coloring (particularly with breeding plumage) shouldn't necessarily lead someone to believe that it has been AI generated or overdone in post. A quick search would reveal that during the breeding season, the eyes and mouth/throat of a Double-Crested Cormorant do, indeed, turn a bright blue-teal color.

Borden, it's a beautiful image of a Cormorant, made all the stronger by the unique pose; the only two suggestions I would have is to lift the shadows (blacks) just a bit to reveal a bit more feather detail and to lose a bit of the top portion of the image. Very nicely done.

Being unfamiliar with a particular variety of bird, its coloring (particularly with breeding plumage) shouldn't necessarily lead someone to believe that it has been AI generated or overdone in post. A quick search would reveal that during the breeding season, the eyes and mouth/throat of a Double-Crested Cormorant do, indeed, turn a bright blue-teal color.
Well apparently there exists blue throated Cormorants in the world, so I stand corrected. At some point, I will have to take a deeper dive into Cormorants. In my part of the world, USA North East, I see young Double Crested Cormorants, actually, I've seen nesting Cormorants with juveniles now that I think about it. I've seen and photographed them many times, but I have never seen one with a blue throat. So all this is news to me, and if they are turning blue, they are doing it somewhere secretly, apparently.

2X converter, f/16, and 1/800th... ain't going to be sharp.

Well apparently there exists blue throated Cormorants in the world, so I stand corrected. At some point, I will have to take a deeper dive into Cormorants. In my part of the world, USA North East, I see young Double Crested Cormorants, actually, I've seen nesting Cormorants with juveniles now that I think about it. I've seen and photographed them many times, but I have never seen one with a blue throat. So all this is news to me, and if they are turning blue, they are doing it somewhere secretly, apparently.
Take close note of the eye color of the ones you see. Most should have a greenish eye. The only ones that have a blue throat are the adults in breeding plumage. And you’ll only see that when their mouth is completely open.

There’s a LOT to like here, cool image! I love that you captured this with a feeling of action/movement while also feeling like it’s art. I never looked inside a Cormorants mouth and grateful you showed me this. It’ll certainly have my awareness up next time I see them. As far as cropping, personal choice IMHO

Back