Walkaround lens for Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you all for your responses, I just placed my order for one Z 24-120 f4 from B&H, supposed to arrive tomorrow! Gotta love B&H for their speedy service and the Payboo card!

Thanks everyone for helping spend my money! :ROFLMAO:
Congrats! This lens doesn't disappoint and will do a whole lot more than just be a walk about. I've used it for portraits, events and even a bit at my daughter's horse show just this afternoon. I put a clear filter on mine since I'm using it all over the place.

Thanks, Carol! Yeah, after reading some of the comments of the lens's sharpness over the 24-200, I realized I didn't so much want just a one-size-fits-all lens, but more of one with better overall quality. Besides, for the time being I'm keeping my D500, so if I really want the reach I can fall back on the D500/18-200mm combo. Though I'm guessing I won't...

My walk around, nothing in mind to shoot but what I come upon, lens of choice is a 35mm. My first Z lens was the 35 1.8 and it's virtually weightless (compared certainly to my second favourite street photography lens the 50 1.2) and is great little lens. And really for me, you you can't beat a normal lens for just capturing the world as it happens.

yah, the 100-400 popped into my mind as a great walkaround lens 😂 but i gathered that's not the kind of walkaround the OP was looking for 😂
What? I use my 100-400 as a walkaround lens all the time 😂 I like telephoto lenses and I think the images I get do get a different look than images taken with an iPhone or a wider lens 😉

Actually I would have bought the 24-120 for my Z9 if I didn’t have the 24-70/4 already.

Last edited:
The Z 24-120 f4 is a perfect walk about lens on the Z9. I also have the Z 24-200 which is also a very good walk about lens.
I did a little testing today with mine and although they’re the same size and weight pretty much the IQ both wide open and stopped down 1 stop at 24, 120, and 180 via DX vs 200 FX ie a little better with the 24-120 at 1:1 but pretty much the same at screen resolution size outside of bokeh differences due to aperture. To me…that sort of makes the 24-200 redundant though it is 300 in DX so perhaps still a good walk around lens if that extra reach is appropriate for a particular walk around.

I recently took the mirrorless plunge, picked up a mint used Z9 (coming from a D500). This is my first full-frame, so I have a mix of FX and DX glass from 11mm all the way up to 600mm. I’m looking for a walkaround, general purpose lens to take the place of my DX 18-200mm VRII. Something that I can use when I’m just out and about with photography maybe not my main focus (pun not intended but fully accepted). I also bought the FTZ II and know I can use that lens on the Z9.

So my options are:
  1. Use the 18-200mm knowing I’ll be shooting in DX mode all the time ($0 cost to me).
  2. Keep using the D500/18-200mm as my walkaround kit ($0).
  3. Pick up a used F-mount 24-120mm AF-S (I’ve seen on Fleabay around $300-400).
  4. Pick up an F-mount 28-300mm AF-S, which looks like the FX version of the DX 18-200mm. Unfortunately discontinued, so not sure what the cost to me would be, but could also be used on the D500.
  5. Dig a little deeper (after getting the Z9) and pony up for the Z-mount 24-200mm ($800).
  6. Any other options I’ve missed?
What are people’s thoughts? If #5 is the best option, I might have to go with #1 or #2 for a while till I can justify another large-ish purchase! I am planning on keeping the D500 as a backup anyway, so #2 is feasible, unless weight constraints come in to play, such as flying.

Also side note – seems odd the long end of the Z 24-200 is f6.3, when the long end on the DX 18-200 is f5.6, especially since looking at pictures of each the Z looks larger.
While the Z 24-120/f4 is a superb lens-it may not provide you with the reach you expect. Since you have used your DX18-200 as your general purpose lens, why don't you do a 'search' of how many pics (as a percentage of all) you take from 120-200mm? I did this when I sold my 28-300 and purchased the 24-200. I again did this when I purchased the Z8 and decided to do the body only. While I want the Z 24-120, it would not serve me well as over 30% of my pics the past year were over its range. I have learned to deal with the 6.3 and has not been an issue. No matter which you choose....have fun.

Went out me and wife on a Sunday to a local trail with the Z8 and the smallest lens, I wanted a low profile camera. the Z30’s DX 16-50
The size was great. But the shots are noisy even at ISO 360. No details around the eye. Bad.

Isn’t there any better solution?
I need better image quality. The 24-70/2.8 is too big.
The 24-70/4 is probably smaller, and the 50/1.8 may also be an option, The 24-120 (which I don’t own) would be the biggest of the bunch.

What would you recommend?
🙏
Yesterday, I bought the Nikkor Z 28-75mm f/2.8, which is currently on sale. It's light, half the cost of the 24-70/2.8. Check it out, you will like it!

Thanks Carol, yes I'm planning on holding onto my D500, at least for the time being. It's been such a workhorse for me for the last 4-5 years, not sure I could part with it if nothing more than sentimental reasons. It's been in my hands for countless outings in my kayak to a local state park, on a life-changing eyeglass mission to Jalapa, Nicaragua, and an amazing trip to Galapagos Islands.

I was also looking at the F mount 24-120, as well as the 28-300. Of course both of those depend on how long I keep the D500!
I sadly had to sell my beloved D500. But honestly the Z8 is unbelievable. I use the FTX+Z for my F mount 500mmPF and my 70-200f2.8 VRii. Works greta. But the 24-120S F4 is fantastic. I also got the 17-28mm f2.8 - not an S but still awesome.

I don't disagree about the 24-120 S lens. However, my "walk-around" kit is a Z6II, 14-30 f4 and 24-200, a very light weight kit. I also have a Z8 with 14-24S, 24-120S and 100-400S; not a "walk-around" kit, backpack only😊

Well the Z9 is not exactly the body I would generally walk around with — but for project work it and the Z8 cannot be beaten.

I guess it depends what one means by walk around — walking around London in the Uk with a Z9 done it with a crew and security. Something more subtle is needed.

That said the 24-120 is the most versatile lens I own. And I own a lot of gear. Mine lives on a Z8, and is used for all kinds of stuff. I pull out project specific lenses for use on the appropriate body as needed.

Last edited:
Well the Z9 is not exactly the body I would generally walk around with — but for project work it and the Z8 cannot be beaten.
That said the 24-120 is the most versatile lens I own. And I own a lot of gear. Mine lives on a Z8, and is used for all kinds of stuff. I pull out project specific lenses for use on the appropriate body as needed.
Yep, now that I have both the Z8 easily wins the walk around decision, along with my 24-120S.
That said, I have also 'walked around' a nature preserve and in that case the Z9/100-400 duo hangs perfectly with my black rapid screwed directly into the lens mounting foot threads.

Thank you all for your responses, I just placed my order for one Z 24-120 f4 from B&H, supposed to arrive tomorrow! Gotta love B&H for their speedy service and the Payboo card!

Thanks everyone for helping spend my money! :ROFLMAO:
Enjoy!!! I’ve used it with a Z7II and now with my Z9 as a walkaround lens. It’s my favorite Z lens.

Andy, I’ve adapted to the Z9 as a walkaround lens. It’s not discreet, but I’ve made it work for me. Considering adding a Z8 to my kit when budget allows.

Andy, I’ve adapted to the Z9 as a walkaround lens. It’s not discreet, but I’ve made it work for me. Considering adding a Z8 to my kit when budget allows.

I seem to get a lot of comments that the Z9 isn't your typical walk around camera, and I get it. It's not the smallest, most svelte camera for general use. However, being that my previous walk around camera was a gripped D500, I'm used to the size/weight. I personally like the vertical controls, so the added bulk never really bothered me. So like @JAJohnson, I've adapted to the perceived bulk. And considering the Z9 is pretty close to the size of my gripped D500, it's neither a step up or a step down in size.

I recently took the mirrorless plunge, picked up a mint used Z9 (coming from a D500). This is my first full-frame, so I have a mix of FX and DX glass from 11mm all the way up to 600mm. I’m looking for a walkaround, general purpose lens to take the place of my DX 18-200mm VRII. Something that I can use when I’m just out and about with photography maybe not my main focus (pun not intended but fully accepted). I also bought the FTZ II and know I can use that lens on the Z9.

So my options are:
  1. Use the 18-200mm knowing I’ll be shooting in DX mode all the time ($0 cost to me).
  2. Keep using the D500/18-200mm as my walkaround kit ($0).
  3. Pick up a used F-mount 24-120mm AF-S (I’ve seen on Fleabay around $300-400).
  4. Pick up an F-mount 28-300mm AF-S, which looks like the FX version of the DX 18-200mm. Unfortunately discontinued, so not sure what the cost to me would be, but could also be used on the D500.
  5. Dig a little deeper (after getting the Z9) and pony up for the Z-mount 24-200mm ($800).
  6. Any other options I’ve missed?
What are people’s thoughts? If #5 is the best option, I might have to go with #1 or #2 for a while till I can justify another large-ish purchase! I am planning on keeping the D500 as a backup anyway, so #2 is feasible, unless weight constraints come in to play, such as flying.

Also side note – seems odd the long end of the Z 24-200 is f6.3, when the long end on the DX 18-200 is f5.6, especially since looking at pictures of each the Z looks larger.
Just spent 4 days away on the beach and hinterland at Port Stephens, lots of fun, photographic wise i took the D850 that has no IS, the 28-300, and my 50mm 1.4 Ziess. Both lenses performed beautifully, I did on average mostly 7 -8 klm walks, there was a lot of really steep long hauls, with equally lots of downhill walking in dense woodlands with the iso hitting 12800 at times, to open beach scapes, birds, whales, cormorants fishing, flowers, birds in flight. The day was crisp but beautifully sunny, later than afternoon i went on a 2 hour ferry ride in a 1943 classic ferry with an old Gardner punting away, the dolphins were bow riding, up river it had beautiful mangroves with reflections, on the way back it had stunning sunsets all shot on the 28-300 and D850.

The 28-300 is around still Used or New B and H or KEH have plenty of them used i recall.

All up on 4 days it was 2000 images all taken in JPEG Fine, mostly in aperture mode and with faster moving things in manual with higher SS and iso.
I don't lug a back pack just the camera and lens.

The take away is this, i valued immensely the versatility and reach as well as getting the shot over eye bleeding sharpness.

1) the D850 is my back up to the Z9.
2) there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a mix of FX or Mirror less glass, their only tools.
3) in these four days the only thing the Z9 had as an advantage was in body stabilization and higher frame rates, but other than that it didn't have any real advantage for what i was doing so why bring the weight.

4) looking at the images, i was shooting from 28-35-85, 120, 210, 300mm, ok 49% of everything taken was 300mm, 26% was at 28mm 25% was everything else.

5) I just wanted one lens that does it all on one camera that does it all, for what i was doing and that was ENJOYING MY SELF MAKING BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES, not obsessing over articulate forensically perfect photos LOL which i used to do, i am clean now for some time of GAS LOL. The 28-300 VR was far more than good enough.

When i got home and looked through the photos, my girlfriend and I were so happy with the subjects the moments captured, the serine to the wow.........
The cormorants flying on the surface of the water across the shoreline filled with mangroves wasn't an issue for the D850, it may have been for the Z9 if i was in 3D focus tracking as the contrast was very low, i would have needed to use the Z9 like a normal camera which is what i do more than not.

Its not one thing is better than another, there all just different tools with their own advantages and disadvantages.

On the walks at times i reflected for a moment after a enjoyable shot and said gee if i didn't have the 28-300 i would have missed a lot of shots as the application was wide and varied, was it worth the few compromises, absolutely, very happy always have been with this lens, my favorite lens is the 70-200 FL F2.8, breath taking, the shorter long end would be made up with IQ and cropping, the only real loss would have been anything under 100mm i guess.

In answer to your questions above, i guess its all about what your actually doing, the Z9 i would use a 70-200 FL, 100-400 or the better still if $ are a concern hands down the 28-300 with the VR turned off on the lens. The Z9 while over kill works very well.

I find light is the greatest friend or enemy no matter what you use.

As to a D500 the Z9 in DX mode kills it for me other than weight saving which is something of real value at times.

Never give up on enjoying yourself, don't let the tail wag the dog.

Find a good used 28-300 there are some new ones still on line.

PS the Z9 would have been ok in this application just a little to heavy with a 28-300 for long hikes.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Back