Walkaround lens for Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Z9 and use it as a walk around camera sometimes. When it is a bit too big for the outing I use a Z6ii. I agree that the 24/120 would be best.
If you can find a good Z6 at a decent price, the two cameras are ideal partners.
I love the Z9 and recommend the ThinkTank Retrospective 10 version II bag as an ideal walk around bag for the Z9 It can fit one flash unit and maybe an extra lens. That forces me to keep to a smallish set up and lets the camera disappear when I need it to. It’s not easy to locate a good bag for the Z9 plus a smallish lens like the 24-120.

I guess Its dependent on the reach you want and cost.

If reach and cost is not an issue then its sounding like a 24-120.
If cost is not an issue and reach is then the 24-200 sounds good.
If both are an issue then the 28-300 meets the bill.

Only an opinion

I recently took the mirrorless plunge, picked up a mint used Z9 (coming from a D500). This is my first full-frame, so I have a mix of FX and DX glass from 11mm all the way up to 600mm. I’m looking for a walkaround, general purpose lens to take the place of my DX 18-200mm VRII. Something that I can use when I’m just out and about with photography maybe not my main focus (pun not intended but fully accepted). I also bought the FTZ II and know I can use that lens on the Z9.

So my options are:
  1. Use the 18-200mm knowing I’ll be shooting in DX mode all the time ($0 cost to me).
  2. Keep using the D500/18-200mm as my walkaround kit ($0).
  3. Pick up a used F-mount 24-120mm AF-S (I’ve seen on Fleabay around $300-400).
  4. Pick up an F-mount 28-300mm AF-S, which looks like the FX version of the DX 18-200mm. Unfortunately discontinued, so not sure what the cost to me would be, but could also be used on the D500.
  5. Dig a little deeper (after getting the Z9) and pony up for the Z-mount 24-200mm ($800).
  6. Any other options I’ve missed?
What are people’s thoughts? If #5 is the best option, I might have to go with #1 or #2 for a while till I can justify another large-ish purchase! I am planning on keeping the D500 as a backup anyway, so #2 is feasible, unless weight constraints come in to play, such as flying.

Also side note – seems odd the long end of the Z 24-200 is f6.3, when the long end on the DX 18-200 is f5.6, especially since looking at pictures of each the Z looks larger.
The 24-120 Z lens is very good for a walkaround.
I'm not impressed by the 24-200 Z lens ... 🦘

With my attention on wildlife the 500mm PF was my favorite DSLR lens and now it is the 100-400mm with the 1.4x TC attached.

Something not very apparent but an advantage of using a prime lens is that if forces one to be more disciplined in selecting scenes or subjects and less of a shotgun approach which can occur when using a zoom lens. For me this is a 105mm lens for people and street scenes.

With my attention on wildlife the 500mm PF was my favorite DSLR lens and now it is the 100-400mm with the 1.4x TC attached.

Something not very apparent but an advantage of using a prime lens is that if forces one to be more disciplined in selecting scenes or subjects and less of a shotgun approach which can occur when using a zoom lens. For me this is a 105mm lens for people and street scenes.
I agree with the philosophy, i use a single fixed length prime and often do the same thing, it brings me back to focusing more on composition.

So may i ask what you found is the difference between the 500 pf and the 100-400 with or with out the TC........optically, some club owners have indicated their sample is a little softer than expected at 400mm great everywhere else........when others have said its fine at 400mm and softer around 180-200mm, i assume this variation may be more related to callibration or the user.

I know 24-70 f 2.8 is a heavier lens but reviews place it as best tested to date for sharpness. So what has been everyone's experience on sharpness in corners for the 24-120 as I favor the 24-120 too.? I did like the focal length on f mount in days of the D1X.....all FX 5 mp of it.:)

Last edited:
Back