Want a better hiking setup...thinking of trying Nikon

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When I go hiking currently, I usually either take the Sony 200-600, which isn't too heavy for me but is awkward and throws off my balance a little on rough ground, or the 100-400, which is a lot easier to handle while hiking and I also have a Cotton Carrier chest rig for it, but it's too short and when I add a 1.4X TC, the AF suffers badly.
Neither setup is very satisfactory and I've been kicking around getting the new Sony 300 2.8 to bring with TCs, as well as possibly the new Sigma 500 f5.6.

Then I thought about another thing. I started being serious about photography in 2003 when I bought the first sub-$1000 DSLR, the Canon Digital Rebel. I stuck with Canon because I was used to it until I decided to go mirrorless. At the time, Sony was the best thing going mirrorless wise and now all my gear is Sony. But in all that time, I never tried Nikon and I've always been curious how I'd like it.

So I was considering buying a Z8 and a 600mm f6.3 lens as a hiking setup. I've never held one though the weight seems incredibly light. I wondered if anyone here who's used one for that kind of thing could advise me how well balanced it is for hiking and whether it would feel more akin to the 100-400 or the 200-600 over rough ground?

So I was considering buying a Z8 and a 600mm f6.3 lens as a hiking setup. I've never held one though the weight seems incredibly light. I wondered if anyone here who's used one for that kind of thing could advise me how well balanced it is for hiking and whether it would feel more akin to the 100-400 or the 200-600 over rough ground?
There some members here who have experience with Sony and perhaps they can advise. However, I’m not sure anyone can answer this question for you. I’d suggest renting a Z8 and 600mm lens and trying it for yourself in the places where you hike and in the light which is typical for your photography.

There some members here who have experience with Sony and perhaps they can advise. However, I’m not sure anyone can answer this question for you. I’d suggest renting a Z8 and 600mm lens and trying it for yourself in the places where you hike and in the light which is typical for your photography.

Well, lensrentals.com says their 600mm f6.3 won't be available to rent until mid-April, so...

When you are hiking are you going overnight or day hikes? Makes a big difference if you are not also carrying a tent, sleeping bag, food and cooking gear.

I assume you have a decent pack for hiking. You should be able to fit the Z8, 600mm pf easily in a good hiking pack.

You can attach a strap to the pack. Put a QD connector on the end and the camera and lens will hang from the pack. You want to shoot you don't need to remove the pack, just lift the camera on the strap and fire away.

The real problem is that when shooting at 600mm you will do better if you have a support system, which means a tripod or monopod. A collapsed tripod will mount easily to the side of a decent hiking pack. A monopod could also function as a hiking stick.

The key to making this all work is to have a decent pack properly set up for hiking, which means the weight needs to be carried on the hips not the neck and back.

I would take a serious look at sigma 500 f5.6 as appears very similar to nikons f 500mm pf which I have. On sony, it is a pity that cannot take tc’s and 15fps limitation as 500pf and tc1.4 is nice 700mm f8 combo on z8.

The z 400mm f4.5 with z 1.4tc should also make a nice 400-560mm combo on Z8, if 560mm is enough reach.

Sony shooters might have better advice for sony. The tamron 150-500 might also be an option if size of 200-600 is your biggest issue. Is much more compact and slightly lighter but slower. See Brad Hill blogs where he decided on 150-500 over nikon z180-600 over compact size.

Maybe have a look through your catalog at which focal range you mostly use your 200-600. If at 600mm, a 500/600mm prime will make sense, but you will likely still need a 70-200 or something else for the closer bigger subjects or landscapes. A tc should only be used on occasion and not nearly always. Buying a 300mm and permanently have a 2x tc mounted to it makes little sense.

Last edited:
It seems that the new Sony 300 2.8 works quite well with tc’s from early reports (see attached links). So if you don’t intend to go above 600mm it’s might be great solution for hiking.
It’s similar in weight to the Nikon 600pf (2x tc will add another 200 grams, 1.4 tc would add 170 grams).
What Sony body do you currently use ? If you happy with it and already invested in more Sony gear I wouldn’t add another system and stick with Sony (more so if your Sony body happens to be the A1). It also would be cheaper to buy the Sony 300mm+tc’s than to buy the Nikon lens AND the Z8.
The new Sigma 500 5.6 looks like a nice lens but have two limitations when used with Sony - it limited to only 15 fps on capable bodies and wouldn’t take tc so you’ll be limited to 500mm.
I’m currently a dual system user (Sony and Nikon) and from my experience it better to stick to one system.

- https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1831884/23
-

Last edited:
I had a bad case of 600 PF lust for a hiking lens until the Sony 300mm GM became available. With the 2x TC the optical quality is nearly indistinguishable from the 600 GM, the weight is less than the 200-600 and I have the bonus of a 300mm f/2.8 (add the 1.4x TC and the total weight in your pack is still less than the 200-600). Time will tell but after a couple days' use I'm wondering where my 600 GM will fit in my future plans.

The Z8 + 600 PF weighs 2380 g, MFD 4 meters.
The a1 + 300 GM + 2x TC weighs 2314 g, MFD 2 meters. With the un-gripped a1 it balances well in the hand.

When used with the a1, the AF of the 300 GM + 2x TC is able to keep up with small birds at close range. I have not yet done a direct comparison with the 600 GM but so far, no complaints.

Well, I have still some Sony gear lying around including the 200-600mm lens but is not used anymore as I am back for the 100% in the Nikon camp.
Now, if you find yourself not in need for shorter focal lengths than the 600mm then you are in for a treat with the Z8 in combination with the 600mm PF.
I can't judge on the all new shiny Sony 300mm GM lens but might indeed be a good choice as well.
The Z8 + 600mm PF = €9.820 after the €580 discount action on the lens here in Belgium
The A1 + 300mm + 2x TC = €14.080 after the €400 discount on the combo action here in Belgium

Choices choices :)

Last edited:
In my opinion from experience, it is often best to shoot a single brand for the reason of one set of lenses, batteries, accessories and familiar controls. If you were to take a flight somewhere, you are then deciding on which lenses you want to take instead of whether you want to pack a second brand for a single purpose. However, there is also nothing wrong with trying other brands out of curiosity or they may offer something that will better fit what youre shooting or how you want to work. You do have a few options now with the new 300mm Sony and 500mm Sigma for Sony that I would seriously consider if you may want to travel with the hiking gear as well as shoot locally. The obvious downside to either is the max 600mm or 500mm reach if you need more.

I do a lot of hiking and traveling where I need lighter and smaller gear which was the big attraction to Nikon for me. I think the Z8 + 400mm 4.5 + 1.4x is the perfect fit for my wildlife hiking. I shoot a lot at 400mm so it really is like two lenses in one with the TC. I have no issues with it while hiking and don’t notice the weight like I do with the 180-600mm. The 600mm PF should be similar to the 400mm 4.5 in feel but I haven’t tried one. I have heard the 600mm works well with the TC, but at F/9 I’m not sure how useful it would be for me so it would mostly be a 600mm only lens. I have been contemplating that or the 800mm pf so I’d have a reasonably fast lens setup covering up to 800mm, though heavier. If you didn’t think you would mostly be at 600mm or more I’d also seriously consider the Z8 + 400mm 4.5 + 1.4 TC option.

Rik, it would be helpful to understand what FL's and subjects you will be targeting. Yes, the 600 f/6.3 is compact and lightweight, though the Z8/Z9 are comparatively larger and heavier. Without this information, it is difficult to know where to direct you. Parenthetically, if you are struggling with the size and weight of an A1 and a 200-600, you're choices in a FF are likely to be limited. You might be better suited for an OM.

...So I was considering buying a Z8 and a 600mm f6.3 lens as a hiking setup. I've never held one though the weight seems incredibly light. I wondered if anyone here who's used one for that kind of thing could advise me how well balanced it is for hiking and whether it would feel more akin to the 100-400 or the 200-600 over rough ground?
I don't have the 600mmPF but do have the Z8/400 4.5/1.4xTC which is very similar in overall lenght/weight. I also did have the A1/200-600 and now have the Z8/180-600. The Z8/400/TC combination is way lighter/easier to carry on a strap.

When you are hiking are you going overnight or day hikes? Makes a big difference if you are not also carrying a tent, sleeping bag, food and cooking gear.

I assume you have a decent pack for hiking. You should be able to fit the Z8, 600mm pf easily in a good hiking pack.
I'm day hiking, usually no more than 5-6 miles. I don't and don't want to carry the camera and lens in a backpack. I want to have it handy in case I see something worth photographing. I usually carry the 200-600 cross-body on a strap and I've started using a Cotton Carrier with the 100-400.

Rik, it would be helpful to understand what FL's and subjects you will be targeting. Yes, the 600 f/6.3 is compact and lightweight, though the Z8/Z9 are comparatively larger and heavier. Without this information, it is difficult to know where to direct you. Parenthetically, if you are struggling with the size and weight of an A1 and a 200-600, you're choices in a FF are likely to be limited. You might be better suited for an OM.

Whatever's there. Songbirds, small mammals, raptors, owls, all the way up to elk, bison, wolf, bear, deer, etc...
I live in the Yellowstone area.
I don't "struggle" with the size and weight of the 200-600, I just find that carrying it up and down hills is awkward, particularly when I need to use both hands for purchase., because of its balance. The 100-400 doesn't give me that sort of issue, whether I was previously carrying it cross-body on a strap attached to the tripod foot and certainly not in the Cotton chest carrier.

It seems that the new Sony 300 2.8 works quite well with tc’s from early reports (see attached links). So if you don’t intend to go above 600mm it’s might be great solution for hiking.
It’s similar in weight to the Nikon 600pf (2x tc will add another 200 grams, 1.4 tc would add 170 grams).
What Sony body do you currently use ? If you happy with it and already invested in more Sony gear I wouldn’t add another system and stick with Sony (more so if your Sony body happens to be the A1). It also would be cheaper to buy the Sony 300mm+tc’s than to buy the Nikon lens AND the Z8.
The new Sigma 500 5.6 looks like a nice lens but have two limitations when used with Sony - it limited to only 15 fps on capable bodies and wouldn’t take tc so you’ll be limited to 500mm.
I’m currently a dual system user (Sony and Nikon) and from my experience it better to stick to one system.

- https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1831884/23
-

Yeah, the 300 2.8 is an option. I suppose I've held back on that because of my previous experience with the Canon 300 2.8, which disappointed when paired with their 2X TC despite people telling me it worked very well with it.

Yeah, the 300 2.8 is an option. I suppose I've held back on that because of my previous experience with the Canon 300 2.8, which disappointed when paired with their 2X TC despite people telling me it worked very well with it.
I haven't used the Canon 300 2.8 but so far my experience with the Sony 300 + 2x TC has been very positive. I didn't like using the 1.4x on the 100-400 GM, the 300 GM + 2x TC is a whole new game.

Whatever's there. Songbirds, small mammals, raptors, owls, all the way up to elk, bison, wolf, bear, deer, etc...
I don't "struggle" with the size and weight of the 200-600, I just find that carrying it up and down hills is awkward, particularly when I need to use both hands for purchase., because of its balance. The 100-400 doesn't give me that sort of issue, whether I was previously carrying it cross-body on a strap attached to the tripod foot and certainly not in the Cotton chest carrier.
Ah, that's helpful and thank you for the clarification. Are you saying that the len's size is the primary impediment to your hiking? Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with the Cotton chest carrier though that may be the most secure solution for you. Is the 200-600 too ungainly for you in the carrier? At 12.5", it is rather small given its range. Is the Tammy 150-500 on the table for you? At 8.3" it might be a reasonable alternative, provide you zoom capabilities, obviate messing with TC's, and would likely fit on your carrier.

I don't "struggle" with the size and weight of the 200-600, I just find that carrying it up and down hills is awkward, particularly when I need to use both hands for purchase.
Purchase? You mean balance?

This is an alternative. Can be used with a cross body. Just takes weight off.

I have the Z9 and 600pf and find it quite manageable with this. I use it between stops.

Ah, that's helpful and thank you for the clarification. Are you saying that the len's size is the primary impediment to your hiking? Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with the Cotton chest carrier though that may be the most secure solution for you. Is the 200-600 too ungainly for you in the carrier? At 12.5", it is rather small given its range. Is the Tammy 150-500 on the table for you? At 8.3" it might be a reasonable alternative, provide you zoom capabilities, obviate messing with TC's, and would likely fit on your carrier.

Yeah it's the size and even moreso with the hood on it. I can't count how many times I've banged the hood on a root or something and knocked it off, had to go back down the damn hill and retrieve it. I haven't tried the 200-600 in the cotton carrier because I'm hesitant to hang that much weight from the camera mount.

I'm day hiking, usually no more than 5-6 miles. I don't and don't want to carry the camera and lens in a backpack. I want to have it handy in case I see something worth photographing. I usually carry the 200-600 cross-body on a strap and I've started using a Cotton Carrier with the 100-400.
For the situation you are describing I really like using the Blackrapid single-camera strap. The nice thing about this strap is that it places all the weight at the shoulder and keeps it there. No pressure on your neck.

For my setup I have added a Really Right Stuff QD connecting hoop to the end of the Blackrapid strap. You will need a new foot for the lens anyway, just make sure you get a good quality foot and one that has a QD socket in it. I have used Kirk and Really Right Stuff.

You need to make sure the Q D connection is fully seated. It becomes obvious whether it is in or not. When seated it seems secure to me but you can also rig a safety tether.

The Blackrapid strap has an easy-to-operate slide that allows you to lift the camera and shoot handheld. When it is by your side you can move the slide down and it will help keep the camera/lens from swinging around. You set the height and position so the camera/lens carries to your side and slightly to the back. That way it gets minimally bounced around and also is less exposed to bumping into something. You don't need to hold it but your hand by your side can be used to help stabilize and protect it.

I should mention I have tried the Cotton Carrier chest rig but I have not been happy with how it works for me. Other people may have different views. It works for getting the camera out of the way but it becomes uncomfortable for me after a while hiking. I have not felt that way with the Blackrapid

I have been able to carry the Z9 and 600mm pf that way all day with no problems. You could carry a monopod with a Wimberley 100 mini gimbal head and use it as a walking stick when not attached to the camera.

Generally I have found the Blackrapid strap has freed me to carry cameras that are more heavy than most prefer. As the result I have chosen to stick with Z9 for everything and I have not felt the need to go to the Z8 to reduce weight I have big hands and I like the dual grip, bigger battery and dual CF B card slots on the Z9.

A much lighter setup with phenomenal IQ would be the Z 400mm f4.5 if that was not too short for you. That lens is super compact and weighs slightly over 2 lbs.

Another option is to get a ThinkTank Digital Holster 150 and add their waist belt. That is big enough to fit the 600 pf with camera attached. It rides on your waist and is well-protected from bumps. When you want to shoot open the lid and pull the camera/lens out. This works for securely carrying one camera and lens,

I hike similar distances with the Z8 and 400mm f/4.5. As suggested above, I usually pack the 1.4 TC and a landscape lens. My favorite light landscape lens for hiking is the $500 26mm f/2.8 - a tiny pancake lens about the size of the TC. The TC and 26mm lens fit in a pocket or small pack. The camera and 400mm lens are on a Black Rapid strap. The 600mm PF is still a small and light lens, but I like the 400mm f/4.5 because it is remarkably light and has a faster aperture. It depends a bit on what and where you photograph.

When I go hiking currently, I usually either take the Sony 200-600, which isn't too heavy for me but is awkward and throws off my balance a little on rough ground, or the 100-400, which is a lot easier to handle while hiking and I also have a Cotton Carrier chest rig for it, but it's too short and when I add a 1.4X TC, the AF suffers badly.
Neither setup is very satisfactory and I've been kicking around getting the new Sony 300 2.8 to bring with TCs, as well as possibly the new Sigma 500 f5.6.

Then I thought about another thing. I started being serious about photography in 2003 when I bought the first sub-$1000 DSLR, the Canon Digital Rebel. I stuck with Canon because I was used to it until I decided to go mirrorless. At the time, Sony was the best thing going mirrorless wise and now all my gear is Sony. But in all that time, I never tried Nikon and I've always been curious how I'd like it.

Great idea IMO…I would be happy with a Z8, 600PF, the 1.4TC and a 24-120 pr 100-400 as well…in fact I shoot wit( that a lot.

The real problem is that when shooting at 600mm you will do better if you have a support system, which means a tripod or monopod. A collapsed tripod will mount easily to the side of a decent hiking pack. A monopod could also function as a hiking stick.
The 600PF is fine to handhold…and while the 400/4.5 is a bit lighter it depends on whether the 600 and 840 with the TC or 400 and 560 with the TC provides better coverage…and the weight/size difference is pretty small.

Back