Want a better hiking setup...thinking of trying Nikon

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Did some photography with the 2X and my dog in the late afternoon and it was tack sharp. Then did some later in the evening with some pheasants and sandhills and in lower light, the 2X TC makes grabbing focus a little more iffy. I guess that's not a huge surprise given that it was just at sunset. Or it might be that I had the camera set for animal AF instead of bird.

Lens just arrived. When I took the box from the FedEx guy, I thought someone had stolen the lens out of the box because it didn't weigh ANYTHING! The lens is just incredibly light. I took a few shots of my dog with the bare lens and the 2X TC and it seems incredible so far.
Congrats.
I finally got the chance to shoot the Z8 on FW 3.0 this past Sunday. Lens used was 400/4.5 with and without the 1.4TC.
As I've mentioned I also had the chance to shoot the 300GM with and without TCs a couple weeks before.
All I will say is this....you made the right choice IMHO.

DSC07280-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have the Z8 with 400/4.5 and usually use it with a 1.4xTC. When just walking around my local nature preserve I have it on a BlackRapid strap with a QD connection and a Leofoto NF-05N/NF-05L replacement lens foot. It's light enough that a strap is all that is needed.

When I'm going on longer hikes (> 5 miles) and especially if it involves scrambling, I use a Cotton Carrier. I find, though, that with the TC mounted, that the whole system is slightly top heavy. So I've had to add an extension to the lens foot to lower the center of gravity. Besides that, the chest-based carrier lets me carry my camera/lens very securely and lets me use both hands when scrambling.

I really enjoy this lighter combo (less strain on the back and can handhold for much longer periods) as I previously had a Z7 / f5.6 200-500mm lens with the F-mount adapter. That was a beast!

Back