What’s in my bag

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Yes, I guess in the US it is very common to photograph from the car or close to. Here in Europe we rarely have roads that go through forests, where one can simply park and use it as a hide. That's why most of the photography is done on foot.. usually a few miles away from the car parking.
One has to stay on designated roads in SA parks, and a very good regulation, although private reserves do not, which ecologically is an accumulating impact. However much of the terrain is inaccessible to off-road vehicles so one walks. Notably in the mountains
Some S African parks also run guided walking trails with at least 1 pro guide. These are worth it
In Angola, Zambia and Zimbabwe much of my photography has been/is on foot which I much prefer.
I never thought about wearing a waistcoat... that-s something I should look into. Thanks for the tip.
This one

Oh.. I personally would not trust carrying a Z9+800PF with a Sling.. but I trust it works for you (y)
Make sure the sling is properly attached via the lens side-rings. The PD quick release clips are one of this company's better designs in my experience.

Last edited:
The 800 PF is 5 lbs compared to the 3 lb 500mm PF. But at least for me, the 800 is definitely hand holdable and I've had some great results using that lens.
The f-mount 500mm PF has certainly had some very good reviews when used with the Z9, even with a 1.4X TC attached.
The other lens that I have been very happy with and which also has excellent reviews, is the Z 400mm f4.5 which works quite well with the 1.4X TC and also with the 2X TC so it will get you out to 800mm.
Lots of good choices.
I’ll have to rent the 800 and give it a try sometime. The debate would be between the new 600 with teleconverter and the 800 ..but that‘s another debate and strand and I’d need a new camera backpack for sure unless I just have TWO bags set up. Or toss out my Z7 and decide before location either 70-200 or the 800.

Nice and simple setup 👍
Yes, the 500PF is a great upgrade to the 200-500! I too stoped using a Monopod since.

You liking the Z9 so much more than the Z7 caught my interest. I would like to hear what is it about the Z9 that makes you feel that way?
I have a feeling it’s similar to what I feel about the D850 😊
I cant even begin to list the reasons why I like the Z9 better than the Z7. The Z7 is great for a lot of things but for wildlife, the Z9 shines. Then I find I’m so comfortable with the Z9, the one time I picked up my Z7 I was wondering what’s wrong with this thing, is it broke ? It was so much slower.
I switched to mirrorless for the live view screen and I was initially coming from the D500 and wanted something full frame. I regretted having given up my D500 but it was easier to really learn and see what was happening with live view and so many controls NOT at your finger tip like on the Z9. It may have been a different story if I’d had the D850. That‘s a whole other ball of wax and would have taken me longer to switch over.

I have yet to invest in a Z lens...I want to give myself time to learn the Z9 and become comfortable with it first, and in the meantime, I am using the glass I am already familiar with.

Bodies: D500, D850, Z9; eventually I will sell one or both of the DSLRs (possibly not until Nikon releases a mirrorless replacement for the D500, if they ever do)

Nikon Lenses: 24-70 f/2.8 VR, 105 f/2.8 Micro VR, 500 PF. I also have the 1.4 TC.
Sigma Lenses: 70-200 f/2.8 Sport, 60-600 Sport, 100-400 Contemporary

I will probably sell the 60-600 Sport - fantastic lens, but heavy, and I find myself shooting the 500 PF most of the time. I will replace the 100-400 with the Z 100-400 at some point, and possible the 24-70 with either the Z version or the 24-120 Z; with landscapes I am rarely shooting at f/2.8 although I also use that lens for family portraits.

My mountain expeditions are mostly in the Gran Paradiso National Park. There, most of the animals are used to hikers and are quite confident. The 100-400 is enough for most of the time. Then of course there are more difficult, or smaller subjects, such as the Dwarf owl that I posted in the photo a few days ago which requires longer lenses.

Especially in the intermediate seasons, spring and autumn, as well as in winter, the mountain backpack is always the best solution for me.
Maybe not the most comfortable for photographic equipment, but the comfort on the shoulders, the breathability and the greater space available for clothes and climbing accessories are essential for me.

Last February we went to photograph the Musk Ox in Norway with a temperature ranging from -10 to -20°C and even on that occasion the Osprey Atmos made the difference. View attachment 49381

Me in Norway. :cool:
Nice shot,

For me its always a compromise of some degree as we never know whats around the corner.
Versatility over esoteric performance etc, speed resolution weight always is in the formula of decision making.
Oh the joys of photgraphy LOL

You all carry a lot of gear! My back hurts just reading some of these posts.

I hate carrying a heavy pack, I don’t like shooting out of backpacks, and I enjoy shooting only one ”discipline” at a time. You’ll generally find me carrying the smallest kit I can get away with.

Wildlife: Z9+500PF on a strap. If I have a coat, an X100V and a 1.4x go in the pockets. If I don’t, they go in a PD 10L sling

Landscape: GFX100S, 32-64, Canon 70-200/4, PD 10L sling. Sometimes my Sigma 105/2.8, too.

Macro: XT4, 80/2.8, Godox MF12, 18-55. PD 10L sling.

If I need my tripod or some extra space, the PD bag gets swapped out for my PhotoCross 15 backpack/sling.

Nice shot,

For me its always a compromise of some degree as we never know whats around the corner.
Versatility over esoteric performance etc, speed resolution weight always is in the formula of decision making.
Oh the joys of photgraphy LOL
Sometimes during walking, I leave the camera and lens attached outside the backpack to be faster to keep them.
I use this product https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/products/capture.
It is not strong enough to keep the 600 FL or other heavy lenses, but I found it very useful and safe with the combo Z9+500PF.
In that way, I also have the hands-free to use the sticks if necessary.

(I that expedition, I forget it at home :cautious:)

I cant even begin to list the reasons why I like the Z9 better than the Z7. The Z7 is great for a lot of things but for wildlife, the Z9 shines. Then I find I’m so comfortable with the Z9, the one time I picked up my Z7 I was wondering what’s wrong with this thing, is it broke ? It was so much slower.
I can imagine. Most photographers I know, that shot with the Z9 have a hard time going back to the slower Z7. for this very same reason, photographers that cannot afford a Z9 are waiting for the next camera (Z8 or Z90 or..). The Z7 just doesn't cut it for Wildlife.

Yes, the D850 is the perfect all rounder (of course not as good as Z9 in certain aspects). This makes it hard for me to say goodbye to it. But as stated above, if Nikon will created a compacter and cheaper Z9 equivalent, the switch will become less difficult to go through with.

I have yet to invest in a Z lens...I want to give myself time to learn the Z9 and become comfortable with it first, and in the meantime, I am using the glass I am already familiar with.
Bodies: D500, D850, Z9; eventually I will sell one or both of the DSLRs (possibly not until Nikon releases a mirrorless replacement for the D500, if they ever do)
Nikon Lenses: 24-70 f/2.8 VR, 105 f/2.8 Micro VR, 500 PF. I also have the 1.4 TC.
Sigma Lenses: 70-200 f/2.8 Sport, 60-600 Sport, 100-400 Contemporary
I will probably sell the 60-600 Sport - fantastic lens, but heavy, and I find myself shooting the 500 PF most of the time. I will replace the 100-400 with the Z 100-400 at some point, and possible the 24-70 with either the Z version or the 24-120 Z; with landscapes I am rarely shooting at f/2.8 although I also use that lens for family portraits.
That's also the approach I have taken as well. So far I still use F glas and DSLRs for Wildlife.. I started with Z6 and Landscape lenses first (as they are considerably cheaper than their counter part).

I strongly recommend the 24-120nn, as good as the 24-70 but has longer reach and semi macro capabilities. The weight is only slightly more.

the Z 100-400 seems very popular on this forum.. so it comes also recommended by popular vote : )

If I were you, I would keep at least one DSLR... as a back up, and for occasions where the camera might get bashed up... I wouldn't wanna use my expensive Z9 in such situations.. that's just a personal opinion (as I am certain it is rugged enough for most cases, but doesn't come cheap / availability issues).

I hate carrying a heavy pack, I don’t like shooting out of backpacks, and I enjoy shooting only one ”discipline” at a time. You’ll generally find me carrying the smallest kit I can get away with.
Wildlife: Z9+500PF on a strap. If I have a coat, an X100V and a 1.4x go in the pockets. If I don’t, they go in a PD 10L sling
Landscape: GFX100S, 32-64, Canon 70-200/4, PD 10L sling. Sometimes my Sigma 105/2.8, too.
Macro: XT4, 80/2.8, Godox MF12, 18-55. PD 10L sling.
That is quite a compact set of gear. I admire your dicipline. I am slowly moving in that direction as well (also to spare my back from unnecessary equipment).

I went from "better have it and not use it, than not have it and need it" to "if it won't be used for 80% of my photos, then it stays home".

It is interesting however, that you work with 2 different brands at the same time -> Nikon and Fujifilm. It is easy switching between both systems? Menus? etc.

That is quite a compact set of gear. I admire your dicipline. I am slowly moving in that direction as well (also to spare my back from unnecessary equipment).

I went from "better have it and not use it, than not have it and need it" to "if it won't be used for 80% of my photos, then it stays home".

It is interesting however, that you work with 2 different brands at the same time -> Nikon and Fujifilm. It is easy switching between both systems? Menus? etc.

Shooting Nikon and Fuji has been great for me. I set both of them up roughly the same for controls, and the "my menu" features make it easy to avoid deep menu dives. The worst of shooting multiple brands is Nikon's bayonet mount being "backwards". I am a complete wreck at changing lenses because I can't build up the muscle memory!

I have some equipment beyond that list, too, I have to admit. I find it fun to use a variety of equipment. It keeps me thinking, and if you buy and sell used it doesn't cost much to own.

I'm with you on your 80% rule, for sure. I find I'm a better photographer when I limit myself. When I carried a full kit every trip I was sore by the end, and all my shots ended up looking the same trip-to-trip. Trying to make a shot work with the "wrong" lens is more fun. Shooting birds with a GFX100S and 70-200 was a unique challenge!

Shooting Nikon and Fuji has been great for me. I set both of them up roughly the same for controls, and the "my menu" features make it easy to avoid deep menu dives. The worst of shooting multiple brands is Nikon's bayonet mount being "backwards". I am a complete wreck at changing lenses because I can't build up the muscle memory!

I'm with you on your 80% rule, for sure. I find I'm a better photographer when I limit myself. When I carried a full kit every trip I was sore by the end, and all my shots ended up looking the same trip-to-trip. Trying to make a shot work with the "wrong" lens is more fun. Shooting birds with a GFX100S and 70-200 was a unique challenge!
Nice to hear that both Nikon and Fuji have ots of similarities. I admit, the older look of Fujifilm and the hype one hears on the net almost convinced me to buy one.. but then I decided not to , when I read about the difficulties with processing the files.

I actually started Wildlife with the 55-200mm kit lens : ) which was great, because I got to first improve my skills before upgrading my gear. Coincidentally, I just rebought this kit lens for my daughter (8 years of age) so she can follow my footsteps :D

Funny, my daughter (11) most likes my XT4 and 55-200! I remember as a kid, I always begged my dad to let me play with his telephoto, too.

I think the Fuji file limitations is less a big deal than some make it out to be, in most cases. My XT4 is a touch behind my Z6 in normal conditions... a small amount less resolution and more noise, but you need to squint at side-by-side images at 100% to notice. The only thing that makes it perform noticeably worse is shooting above ISO 3200 and pulling the shadows up. Here you can start to coax out some artifacts, and by ISO 12800 they're strong enough that you won't want to go past 8x10. With the last-gen sensors at least, you have to nail your exposure at high ISO to be happy.

Anyway, I think everyone should own an X100V. That camera is the "anti-bag" camera... I often carry it on a short neck strap like a 70's tourist, where it's invisible when I'm out to shoot wildlife. And if it ends up in a bag, it fits in any water bottle pocket, and most accessory pockets.

The best part about small gear is that it lets you carry something huge without hating life. :)

Anyway, I think everyone should own an X100V. That camera is the "anti-bag" camera... I often carry it on a short neck strap like a 70's tourist, where it's invisible when I'm out to shoot wildlife. And if it ends up in a bag, it fits in any water bottle pocket, and most accessory pockets.

The best part about small gear is that it lets you carry something huge without hating life. :)
I was surprised to see how good Fujifilm cameras maintain their prices even on second hand market..
At the moment I am happy with my Z6 and Z50 combo.. for me the Z50 is lots of fun to use, compact, and light weight, particularly with the versatile 18-140 mm lens.

Quickly pulling out the Z9 is a challenge many wildlife photographers experience / share. That’s why I opted for the cotton carrier harness solution.

I own the Think Tank Backlight 36L and I strongly recommend it 👍 very robust, can house a lot of gear and yet remain comfy to carry.

I picked up a BackLight 36L and a Z 600 TC S with Z 9 attached is tight but will fit if the top divider is removed. A bigger issue may be the circumference of the lens hood with lens cap on. It causes the bottom of the backpack to bulge a little. I can't tell for sure if the hood will push the back in once carried or if it will push out the front of the backpack. A short hike today wasn't uncomfortable.

The backpack with Z 9 and Z 600mm f4 TC S weighed in at 16 pounds. That was taken by me first standing on a scale followed by putting the backpack on and than subtracting. I am able to take the shoulder straps off, swing the backpack around my waist while not removing the backpack by keeping the waist strap buckled, unzip the back, remove the lens, zip it back up, swing back behind me and put the shoulder straps back on. There is plenty of room to add additional lenses, accessories', clothing , water, snacks etc. So far I'm very happy with it.

How do you keep the camera body with 600 attached below your face with the harness? Thanks.

MindShift_36L_Z_6mm_f4_TC_S_ZZ9_1000p.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I picked up a BackLight 36L and a Z 600 TC S with Z 9 attached is tight but will fit if the top divider is removed.
Yes, I too removed the top divider.
My kit D850+500 PF isn’t as wide as your kit.. so my bag doesn’t bulge, even with the hood in reverse. But I do believe the padding is thick enough to remain comfortable even if slightly bulgy.

How do you keep the camera body with 600 attached below your face with the harness? Thanks.

I mounted the adapter directly on the lens foot. On both the 200-500mm and then the 500 PF, the camera was a few inches below my head. If the camera is too close to yours, then I recommend to adjust the carrier, so it is low enough. I will try to take a selfie with my setup to show you how it looks.

As promised, here is a photo of my setup / back then with the 200-500 mm Zoom with a Kirk ArcaSwiss plate.. but even without it, the setup looks the same.

Tip: in the photo one can still see the safety strap that comes with the carrier.. that is no good, since it cannot carry the weight of the camera anyhow.. so I removed it completely. Instead, I use the fixing strap (located right under the mounting point - see yellow "cotton" tag ). This helps keep the lens in place and acts as a safety measure.

PS. I have used this setup for 3 years now, and not once did anything happen. In fact I also have the "Scout" version of the cotton carrier.. and use it with my Landscape setup without any safety strap as well.. and that's hiking up traitorous Alps! it's a safe system (as long as you regularly check the tightening screw of the mounting plate onto the camera).

27C9699D-0D27-4401-B7A8-0DD56C0E74DF.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Back