What’s in my bag

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I checked to see if such a thread existed, but didn’t find one. I think it would be interesting to share what gear we carry and for which purpose / genre we use it.

Wildlife kit carried in a Lowepro Flipside Trek AW350:
- D850 + 500 PF for deer, fox, birds and butterflies
- Z50 + 18-140mm for occasional landscape and closeup photography (particularly mushrooms)
- extra battery for each, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch and lens cleaning cloth

Hiking kit carried in a Mindshift Photocross 13 Pack:
- Z6 + 24-120 F4 for landscape
- extra battery, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch and lens cleaning cloth
- GPS, first aid kit, hiking poles and rain jacket

How about you?
Near car kit
D850 and D500 with 600mm f4 and 200-400mm f4 70-200 f2.8 lenses
Medium Manfrotto tripod.
And a chair

Far from car
Z9 & Z6 with 400mm f4.5 and 70-200mm Z lenses
And a befree Manfrotto tripod.

In the Studio
Hasselblad H with mostly a 120mm macro lens.
A Heavy Manfrotto tripod or a stand.
And plenty of lighting...🦘

I checked to see if such a thread existed, but didn’t find one. I think it would be interesting to share what gear we carry and for which purpose / genre we use it.

Wildlife kit carried in a Lowepro Flipside Trek AW350:
- D850 + 500 PF for deer, fox, birds and butterflies
- Z50 + 18-140mm for occasional landscape and closeup photography (particularly mushrooms)
- extra battery for each, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch and lens cleaning cloth

Hiking kit carried in a Mindshift Photocross 13 Pack:
- Z6 + 24-120 F4 for landscape
- extra battery, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch and lens cleaning cloth
- GPS, first aid kit, hiking poles and rain jacket

How about you?
Its got a lot to do with where i am going and what i expect to shoot.

If i am traveling for a few weeks on a road trip in the Van (bed on wheels) and going exploring my bag as a general rule is

200-500
70-200 FL
24-70 G
14-24 G
16mm Fish Eye
Z9 sometimes only and 50mm 1.8s plus adapter
D850 all ways
Tripod
Mono Pod
SB 910
TC 1.4 III
Filters.

If i fly somewhere
Its the
200-500
70-200 FL
24-70
28-300 as walk around
D850
Tri Pod

My go anywhere
z6 + z24-120/4

my go lightly
z6 + z24-200

my shooting expedition
z6+z70-200/2.8 + z 2xTC

I’m in southern Spain for a few days in two weeks. I’ve rented the z400 f4.5 … it’s not a lens I’ve ever considered buying, but I’d like to see for myself If it’s a lens I can use…reading loads of reviews doesn’t satisfy the need.

Current kit for birds:
Sony A1
Sony 600GM
Sony 400GM
Sony 100-400GM
Sony 200-600
Sony 1.4 and 2.0 TCs

Usually I take both the 400 and 600 in the car and pick which one to walk around with. Sometimes cary one in the backpack and one in my hand.
I usually use my F-Stop Ajna with XL ICU.
I use the 100-400 for semi-macro stuff like insects, frogs
I rarely use the 200-600 anymore...mostly just collects dust.
I rarely use the 2x TC anymore (just not happy with AF results)
I occasionally use the 1.4TC but not a fan of the AF consistency when that is attached either.

Kit almost never used for other things:
Sigma MC-11 to adapt:
Canon EF 16-35 f/4 IS
Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS
Canon 40 f/2.8 pancake
Canon 100 f/2.8 IS Macro

I see Patrick M and I think alike :)

My bag has very little difference no matter where I'm going or what I'm going to shoot.
D780 and 24-120 f/4 always
28-300 AF-S VR and/or Sigma 150-600C depending on the situation.

I've been there and done that carrying multiple bodies and more lenses than you can shake a stick at (or possibly need). These days I follow the KISS principle at all times :)

I've always been a... "If I own it, I'll take it" type of guy. I just do not have enough disposable income to buy a lens that stays at home and gets used on special occasions.
My most important piece of kit is my tripod and bag, as this defines what I can take and carry comfortably. In fact, I think that my Gitzo GT3531S CF & F-Stop Tilopa w/ XL Pro ICU have been the only consistent items that have not disappeared from my kit since 2014.
I currently use my Z9 for wildlife and Z6II for everything else.
My lenses are: 24-120 f4S, 100-400S, and 400mm f4.5S (just sold my 500PF yesterday). I have a 2X Z converter and the 1.4x Z-converter on order with the hope it arrives within the next two weeks or so.
All of this fits easily in the Tilopa and leaves me room for filters, batteries, and a pair of Zeiss Terra Binoculars.
Missing... I would love it if Nikon would make a compact 20mm or 18mm f3.5Z. I'd like a small ultra wide... I've got an 800PF on pre-order but may pass if I like the images from the 400 f4.5 + 1.4x in DX crop mode. If this meets my needs, I'll sell the Z6II and get a second Z9.
regards,
bruce

Last edited:
Atlas Athlete backpack
Z9 with the 500 5.6 pf attached
Z7 with 70-200 2.8 pf attached
If I’m traveling I’ll throw in a 50 or a 24-70 depending which will end up in a suitcase and not used much.
Small brush for debri, lens caps, spare battery for each camera, blower, Allen wrench, monopod for just in case sometimes. Cover for bag in case of heavy rain that I’ve never actually used, cleaning/drying cloth.
Either a rain jacket or hat and gloves / outside gear depends weather. Sunscreen in summer and a hat. Sunglasses clipped to front. Water bottle or tea in a travel cup.
Phone with ID and a credit card.

I switched out the 200-500 for the 500 pf awhile ago and find I dont have to carry my tripod and rarely use my monopod or gimbal now. I tend to take the gimbal sometimes for just in case. Depends. And I like the Z9 so much that I’m more apt to take off the 70-200 and put it on the Z9 than use it on my Z7. I’ve used the Z7 once since I’ve got the Z9 and find the switch back and forth not very comfortable.

Atlas Athlete backpack
Z9 with the 500 5.6 pf attached
Z7 with 70-200 2.8 pf attached
If I’m traveling I’ll throw in a 50 or a 24-70 depending which will end up in a suitcase and not used much.
Small brush for debri, lens caps, spare battery for each camera, blower, Allen wrench, monopod for just in case sometimes. Cover for bag in case of heavy rain that I’ve never actually used, cleaning/drying cloth.
Either a rain jacket or hat and gloves / outside gear depends weather. Sunscreen in summer and a hat. Sunglasses clipped to front. Water bottle or tea in a travel cup.
Phone with ID and a credit card.

I switched out the 200-500 for the 500 pf awhile ago and find I dont have to carry my tripod and rarely use my monopod or gimbal now. I tend to take the gimbal sometimes for just in case. Depends. And I like the Z9 so much that I’m more apt to take off the 70-200 and put it on the Z9 than use it on my Z7. I’ve used the Z7 once since I’ve got the Z9 and find the switch back and forth not very comfortable.
Your last statement is a key one... It would be helpful if Nikon designed a smaller FX or DX body with the same button layout on the Z9. I loved the fact that I could hold a D5/D500/ or D850 and know exactly where my fingers should sit. The inability to program the Z6II exactly like the Z9 makes me less likely to use the Z6II. It is for this reason that I am considering the purchase of a 2nd Z9 instead of an 800PF... plus, I'm not sure I want to sink $6500 into a lens that has a very narrow use case for the way I like to make images.

bruce

My go anywhere
z6 + z24-120/4

my go lightly
z6 + z24-200

my shooting expedition
z6+z70-200/2.8 + z 2xTC

I’m in southern Spain for a few days in two weeks. I’ve rented the z400 f4.5 … it’s not a lens I’ve ever considered buying, but I’d like to see for myself If it’s a lens I can use…reading loads of reviews doesn’t satisfy the need.
Yes i rent exotics or special need lenses as well, even the D6 at times, i mean there is a lot to be said for buying if your work and need is there all the time, but for an occasional use i find i rent, its also in my case tax deductible so it makes it attractive as well.

I mean buying a new 600 with BI TC for AUD $27k and a couple of others for $10-15K AUD i can make 50% on $40K invested in retail sales inventory in business, rather than that money sitting on the shelf 90% of the time in a few lenses.

Gone are the days of lower reasonable prices, Nearly AUD $4K for a Z 24-70 2.8s

Fishing Rods and a hat are starting to look better all the time. LOL

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I’m also interested in the bag itself in addition to what's in it, especially in how people pack large telephotos in the field when they are on the move and still want quick access.

While shooting sports I use a Think Tank Airport Security roller bag to carry a 600mm F4G ED VR and a AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED, recently replaced with a AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR. I would also occasionally pack a third body, belt system, and camera and personal rain gear based on weather.

In a Think Tank Shape shifter, I would carry a laptop, two pro Nikon Bodies, a 70-200, 24-70 and 14-24 plus accessories. Those bags also work well when traveling, Things get really interesting when I take my Underwater housing, ports, dome and strobes and dive gear with me.

I retired from my day job and essentially from my 2nd job of sports shooting and am now looking for additional photography outlets. I do a lot of hiking and am looking for a new convenient backpack that I can carry the 180-400 TC with body attached and after I get the new Z 600mm TC S, I would like to do the same. For now I just use the lens strap on my shoulder. The 600 has been more challenging to find a bag for unless I remove the Z 9 and I’d prefer to be able remove it quickly and not have to attach the body should I come across wildlife on the trail.

The Think Tank BackLight 36L might work and I like the more compact Glass Limo that would work for the 180-400 TC with Z 9 but I would need to remove the body from the new Z 600 TC. S. I also have a Gregory Zulu 35L Daypack I might be able to put a telephoto with body attached in.

Either Gura Gear Bataflae 32L with Samsonite trolley or Think Tank Airport Security.

Really depends upon where I am going

2 or 3 Nikon Z 9 (2 for me, one for my wife)
Z 7 II if I want to
24-120 F/4
100-400 or if I don't mind the weight, 180-400 w/ FTZ II
Z TC 1.4 if needed on the 100-400
800 F/6.3 soon to be replaced w/ 600 TC
14-30 F/4 if I need to go really wide

Other lens as needed (Sigma 150 Macro, 500 PF, ...)

Your last statement is a key one... It would be helpful if Nikon designed a smaller FX or DX body with the same button layout on the Z9. I loved the fact that I could hold a D5/D500/ or D850 and know exactly where my fingers should sit. The inability to program the Z6II exactly like the Z9 makes me less likely to use the Z6II. It is for this reason that I am considering the purchase of a 2nd Z9 instead of an 800PF... plus, I'm not sure I want to sink $6500 into a lens that has a very narrow use case for the way I like to make images.

bruce
I found your photo collection very enjoyable, thank you........

Only an opinion

I see Patrick M and I think alike :)

My bag has very little difference no matter where I'm going or what I'm going to shoot.
D780 and 24-120 f/4 always
28-300 AF-S VR and/or Sigma 150-600C depending on the situation.

I've been there and done that carrying multiple bodies and more lenses than you can shake a stick at (or possibly need). These days I follow the KISS principle at all times :)
Yes i am on the other side as well, been there taken more than i ever need LOL, finally i found less is more. The consequence is i focus more on myself and photography this way.

My super light simple in the coat pocket kit is dont laugh, the DF and 28-300 with a SB 400 in the other pocket and i am well covered.
The 28-300 offers amazing versatile range, is a underestimated lens that shines when matched with very large pixel pitch..........
Its all about time light and speed.
The DF well its ISO capabilities are very very good. and the image files are exceptional especially in black and white.

I mostly only shoot JPEG FINE

Only an opinion

Ado -- it would help to understand - where you are heading to, what you are seeking to shoot and how you travel when in the field.
Good point Andy. The destination has a big impact on the gear you pack.. Safari being on one side of the scale and a long hike being on the other.

You reminded me of the knee pad which I also always have with me.. weather for sitting or kneeling to take low photos of muschrooms.

For a day shoot for birds I use a Think Tank Streetwalker V2:

60 2.8 D micro

Gitzo monopod
It took me a while to introduce MLC to my kit (mainly for Silent shutter and reduction in size). I still use and enjoy my DLSR cameras :)

Are you happy with the 60 F2.8 D Macro? for some reason I don't like the 105 G version I have.. too bulky, heavy and the rendering is not optimal.

True, I too have a Gitzo monopod, which I used frequently with the D850+200-500 combo.. but with the 500 PF I have much less use for it.

You cannot have too many backpacks ;)

Reactions: Roy
For Africa:

2 x Z9's
Nikkor Z 400TC f/2.8
Nikkor Z 70-200 f/2.8
Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4
That is a lot of gear.. respect. I cannot imagine carrying so much gear on my back, so I assume you drive with a car.
one cannot have enough. gear.. as least that's the feeling I get often LOL

Nice topic. A picture is worth a thousand words.

ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 but will be replaced shortly with a Mindshift Gear Photocross 13.

I also have a LowePro 600AW for my 600 f/4 lens, but that bag does not get much use since I have gotten the 800mm PF.
Nice set of gear. Do you use the Z7 ii as main photo camera and Z6 for low light photos or video?
The Mindshift Photocross 13 Backpack (there is a Sling version as well) is quite good. Comfy, practical.. the only minor issue I have with it, is it sometimes makes squeaky sounds when walking (due to the rainproof material).. nothing that would scare of critters.. but still noticeable to my ears. I am hoping it will go away once the bag gets more use..

When I am on foot I go really light:
1-Maxtor 40/50l backpack, really just a sack. It has a Walkstool and a Surai monopod with a mono-gimble in it. (about 5+ pounds)
2-Om-1/100-400 on a Black Rapids strap. (A little over 5#)

Everything else stays in the car.
I can relate.. carrying more gear when on foot is simply not healthy.. and takes fun out of the entire activity. Hence my switching to MLC.
I did consider the OM-1 for more reach.. I prefer going that way than using TCs.. but I didn't go through with it, as I still use my DSLRs..
A complete kit for me would consist of a Z7 ii and an OM-1 (the Z9 is amazing, but simply too bulky and heavy for my use).

Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II:
- Nikon D500
- Nikon 500mm PF VR
- Nikon 10-20mm
- Nikon 85mm f/1.8
- air blower, toothbrush and zeiss lens wipes
That's a nice compact set of gear, that covers wildlife, wide angle and portrait shots.
I use my Nikon 85 f1.8 mainly at kids' birthdays and holidays. It used to be my "telephoto lens" for landscape work, before I got the 24-120.
Are you happy with the 10-20mm? seeing how long it's taking Nikon to produce the 12-28 DX Z... i considered going for the adapted 10-20mm. but after reading a few reviews.. I decided to wait for the Z version.

Wildlife hiking kit carried in a hiking backpack Osprey Exox. (Very light).
Z9 or Z6II or both,
Z 24-120 f.4
Z 100-400 F.4
Often 500 PF with FTZ. (Always on, I have two FTZ to avoid forgetting at home).
Sometimes 1.4x F mount.
Extra battery.

For small subjects or short hiking elevation, stored in a hiking backpack Osprey Atmos 65.
The Atmos is comfortable for up to 22kg. Tested during an overnight excursion.
Z9 or Z6II or both,
Z 100-400 F.4
600 F.4 FL + FTZ (Always on, the second one FTZ to avoid forgetting at home).
I replace the original lens hood with a Lenscoat travel version, but it is not the best because it is challenging to keep with a round shape.
On the 600, I use Lenscoat protection + travel coat and the travel hood as protection during the hiking.
Extra battery.

Landscape kit carried in a hiking backpack Osprey Exox.
Z9 or Z6II or both,
Z 14-30 f.4
Z 24-120 f.4
Sometimes also Z 100-400 F.4
Polarized and ND filters.
Extra battery.

For occasional Milky-way night excursions with an overnight in a tent.
Osprey Atmos 65.
Z9
F 14-24 f.2.8
Z 24-120 f.4
Filters, tripod, and extra battery.
Tent and all the accessories.

Nice set of gear. Do you use the Z7 ii as main photo camera and Z6 for low light photos or video?
The Mindshift Photocross 13 Backpack (there is a Sling version as well) is quite good. Comfy, practical.. the only minor issue I have with it, is it sometimes makes squeaky sounds when walking (due to the rainproof material).. nothing that would scare of critters.. but still noticeable to my ears. I am hoping it will go away once the bag gets more use..
Thanks for the feedback on the bag.

I use the Z7ii as my primary camera overall, and the Z6 as secondary when I need two cameras. I use the Z6 first for events and work where high resolution is not needed - such as events, pet photos, family events, etc. The Z6 is my primary camera for video. I don't really split the small differences under low light conditions as the Z7ii has AF advantages offsetting the low light edge in some situations.

Do you bring a Sherpa with you when you take pictures "elsewhere"? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
It IS helpful when your companion ( or Sherpa as needed) is into photography. My husband has the larger pack..Atlas Adventure so he “gets” to carry more. 🤣 Always has the garmin and potentially food ect. And has said previously that he‘s happy to be my sherpa. 😁I do carry my own main gear though :) I noticed one husband carries his wife’s Z9 but I like my main stuff close. I figure whatever I am not carrying I can live without, except the garmin possibly..I get lost easy. If we have a map I put it in the back pocket of HIS pack so “we“ can access it easily.
I do try to keep my pack light but have the spouse’s bag for overflow. Lol.

bruce
That would be a hard choice, another Z9 or the 800PF. I think I’d want the 800 PF but then I dont like carrying that weight and it would make the tripod essential again for me. I dont think I could manage it easy like the 500 pf without tripod. We don‘t have the disposable income for that right now anyhow. Other things we want to dump our money into.

That would be a hard choice, another Z9 or the 800PF. I think I’d want the 800 PF but then I dont like carrying that weight and it would make the tripod essential again for me. I dont think I could manage it easy like the 500 pf without tripod. We don‘t have the disposable income for that right now anyhow. Other things we want to dump our money into.
The 800 PF is 5 lbs compared to the 3 lb 500mm PF. But at least for me, the 800 is definitely hand holdable and I've had some great results using that lens.
The f-mount 500mm PF has certainly had some very good reviews when used with the Z9, even with a 1.4X TC attached.
The other lens that I have been very happy with and which also has excellent reviews, is the Z 400mm f4.5 which works quite well with the 1.4X TC and also with the 2X TC so it will get you out to 800mm.
Lots of good choices.

Wildlife hiking kit carried in a hiking backpack Osprey Exox. (Very light).
Z9 or Z6II or both,
Z 24-120 f.4
Z 100-400 F.4
Often 500 PF with FTZ. (Always on, I have two FTZ to avoid forgetting at home).
Sometimes 1.4x F mount.
Extra battery.

For small subjects or short hiking elevation, stored in a hiking backpack Osprey Atmos 65.
The Atmos is comfortable for up to 22kg. Tested during an overnight excursion.
Z9 or Z6II or both,
Z 100-400 F.4
600 F.4 FL + FTZ (Always on, the second one FTZ to avoid forgetting at home).
I replace the original lens hood with a Lenscoat travel version, but it is not the best because it is challenging to keep with a round shape.
On the 600, I use Lenscoat protection + travel coat and the travel hood as protection during the hiking.
Extra battery.

Landscape kit carried in a hiking backpack Osprey Exox.
Z9 or Z6II or both,
Z 14-30 f.4
Z 24-120 f.4
Polarized and ND filters.
Extra battery.

For occasional Milky-way night excursions with an overnight in a tent.
Osprey Atmos 65.
Z9
F 14-24 f.2.8
Z 24-120 f.4
Filters, tripod, and extra battery.
Tent and all the accessories.

I am interested in how you pack and carry the 600 f4, E I assume. I currently have the heavier and longer G but plan on getting the Z 600 TC S and would like to pack it on hikes with the camera on. I also own the 180-400 f4 TC with FTZ I also take with me at times. I would only carry one of those at a time and would not plan on taking other lenses usually and only one smaller lens when I do.

I tend to hike with a group of fit friends in the PNW with trips to Montana and they are not photographers. We are in our early to mid-60’s and every year the weight makes it more difficult to keep up in this competitive group but it is worth it if we come across wildlife on the trail. Then I want to quickly take the camera out, flip the lens shade around, and shoot without fumbling with caps and attaching the body so I don't hold the group up even though they are understanding and probably appreciate the rest. I also hike with my wife and with her I can take more time and equipment and the hikes tend to be easier.

Your Osprey Exos sounds interesting. How do you pack your 600 in it? I own a Gregory Zulu 35 that might be similar. I like the looks of the Think Tank Backlight 36L and measurements suggest the Z 600 TC S would tightly fit with a Z 9 mounted if the top divider is removed but I have not confirmed that. The Glass Limo looks perfect if it had a couple more inches of internal height. The Osprey and Gregory design tend to be cooler on the back on longer hikes with elevation gain while camera specific backpacks tend to make my back get hot. Thanks.

Back