What’s in my bag

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'll play.
Nikon D500
Sony RX10iv for video

That's about it. I can cover the overwhelming majority of my photography with these 3 lenses and the Sony bridge camera.
Interesting, I too use my Sony RX100 to take movies.. I wish I could use only 3 lenses to cover most of my photography.. but I like so many genre.. that I require a multitude of lenses 😅

Z9
Z 7II
Z 24-120/4

I’ve got a Z 14-30/4, a Z 24-70/4 and a SB-500 flash in the closet that rarely see the light of day.
Nice setup 👍
My 24-70 also collects dust since I opted for the 24-120 F4. I still find it hard to take photos with supper wide 14-30mm lenses.. my eye is used to telephoto POV. The 100-400mm will probably be my next lens.. considering how much I love the 500 PF.

Near car kit
D850 and D500 with 600mm f4 and 200-400mm f4 70-200 f2.8 lenses
Medium Manfrotto tripod.
And a chair

Far from car
Z9 & Z6 with 400mm f4.5 and 70-200mm Z lenses
And a befree Manfrotto tripod.

🦘
interesting how in many kits, the Z system wins when distance is an important factor.
If Nikon will release a D500 equivalent in Z (let’s call it Z90), will you replace your Z6 with it?

200-500
70-200 FL
24-70 G
14-24 G
16mm Fish Eye
That’s quite a versatile setup (from extreme wide to telephoto). Makes me wonder what your main photo genre is? For which type of photography do you use the fish eye lens? I don’t know anyone that has this “exotic” lens.

My go anywhere
z6 + z24-120/4
I’m in southern Spain for a few days in two weeks. I’ve rented the z400 f4.5 … it’s not a lens I’ve ever considered buying, but I’d like to see for myself If it’s a lens I can use…reading loads of reviews doesn’t satisfy the need.
Enjoy your trip to Spain. Depending on where in Spain you go to, the 24-120 will serve you very well for sea and landscapes 👍
They also have some wildlife, so I’m almost certain you will have enough opportunities to put the Z400 to the test.

Current kit for birds:
Sony A1
Sony 600GM
Sony 400GM
Sony 100-400GM
Sony 200-600
Sony 1.4 and 2.0 TCs

Usually I take both the 400 and 600 in the car and pick which one to walk around with.
nice Sony setup. Mostly telephoto lenses 👍
I share your experience with the zoom lens.. that’s why I sold my 200-500 after upgrading to the 500 prime.
I too decide between the 500 and 300 primes before going on foot. How do you decided which to take? Which criteria do you consider? Type of critter? Amount of light? Terrain?

Nice setup 👍
My 24-70 also collects dust since I opted for the 24-120 F4. I still find it hard to take photos with supper wide 14-30mm lenses.. my eye is used to telephoto POV. The 100-400mm will probably be my next lens.. considering how much I love the 500 PF.
Thanks for the "thumbs up". My Z 24-70/4 came to me with my original purchase of a Z6 in 2019 when Nikon was bundling that lens as a kit with the Z6 at a reduced price. It's a great lens. Was going to try to sell it recently, but there are so many of them for sale on the used market that the going price was too low. I just decided to keep in just in case I drop my Z 24-120/4 in the ocean or off a cliff. I really only use the 14-30 for around the house shots of various things like documenting belongings for insurance purposes, etc. or for a potential real estate listing TBD. I also used the F mount 70-300 AFP for some time before I sold it as I wanted to move away from the FTZ and go all "Z". That lens is probably the best bargain at its performance point on the market.

You mention 'eyeing' the Z 100-400; you'll love the Z 100-400. While I love its capabilities, I actually would like to sell mine or trade it for a Z 70-200/2.8 since I now have the Z 400/4.5 and a Z TC14 to use with the Z 70-200 or the 400/4.5. But I am still "mulling" this idea over.

Last edited:
D780 and 24-120 f/4 always
28-300 AF-S VR and/or Sigma 150-600C depending on the situation.

I've been there and done that carrying multiple bodies and more lenses than you can shake a stick at (or possibly need). These days I follow the KISS principle at all times :)
What is the KISS principle?
I love my 24-120.. but it’s too short for wildlife.. that’s why I end up with 2 cameras.. one with telephoto lens and one with general zoom lens. Problem with wildlife is you have to be quick, so no time to change lenses..

I've always been a... "If I own it, I'll take it" type of guy. I just do not have enough disposable income to buy a lens that stays at home and gets used on special occasions.
It is a nice way of putting it 👍 no point in tying up capital with lenses that only connect dust. That’s why I sold a few lenses this year, mostly to finance upgrades. Sold 200-500 to finance my 500PF. Sold 70-200 to finance my 24-120mm

Still can’t afford a Z9 (single family father..) but luckily it doesn’t suit my need / I like to travel light (or at least that’s what I keep trying to tell myself 😅)

Having 2 of the same body is definitely convenient.. but don’t you prefer having 2 bodies that complement each other? Like a Z6 for low light ? Or a Z7 when you rather wanna travel light?

Atlas Athlete backpack
Z9 with the 500 5.6 pf attached
Z7 with 70-200 2.8 pf attached
I switched out the 200-500 for the 500 pf awhile ago and find I dont have to carry my tripod and rarely use my monopod or gimbal now. I tend to take the gimbal sometimes for just in case. Depends. And I like the Z9 so much that I’m more apt to take off the 70-200 and put it on the Z9 than use it on my Z7. I’ve used the Z7 once since I’ve got the Z9 and find the switch back and forth not very comfortable.
Nice and simple setup 👍
Yes, the 500PF is a great upgrade to the 200-500! I too stoped using a Monopod since.

You liking the Z9 so much more than the Z7 caught my interest. I would like to hear what is it about the Z9 that makes you feel that way?
I have a feeling it’s similar to what I feel about the D850 😊

the Z 9 and I’d prefer to be able remove it quickly and not have to attach the body should I come across wildlife on the trail.

The Think Tank BackLight 36L might work.
Quickly pulling out the Z9 is a challenge many wildlife photographers experience / share. That’s why I opted for the cotton carrier harness solution.

I own the Think Tank Backlight 36L and I strongly recommend it 👍 very robust, can house a lot of gear and yet remain comfy to carry.

Either Gura Gear Bataflae 32L with Samsonite trolley or Think Tank Airport Security.

2 or 3 Nikon Z 9 (2 for me, one for my wife)
Z 7 II if I want to
24-120 F/4
100-400 mm

Other lens as needed (Sigma 150 Macro, 500 PF, ...)
The 100-400mm seems to be a popular choice as well as the Think Tank Airport Security.
Does the 500 PF get any use, when you have the 100-400?

I find it nice that you and your wife share the same passion for photography 👌

Wildlife hiking kit carried in a hiking backpack Osprey Exox. (Very light).

For small subjects or short hiking elevation, stored in a hiking backpack Osprey Atmos 65.

Z 100-400 F.4
Osprey is a reputable company with great quality backpacks. My travel backpack is also Osprey.

Oh yes, you reminded me of the filters for landscape, particularly the Polarizer and ND filters 👍 they are quite handy for creative shots.

I am considering 100-400 for both landscapes and wildlife. It’s nice to see that most forum users have it out something equivalent to it.

Do you use lens-coat as extra protection? Or as camouflage for the lens?

Quickly pulling out the Z9 is a challenge many wildlife photographers experience / share. That’s why I opted for the cotton carrier harness solution.

I own the Think Tank Backlight 36L and I strongly recommend it 👍 very robust, can house a lot of gear and yet remain comfy to carry.

The Cotton Carrier harness would have come in handy to keep the D5 with 24-70 on it from flopping around while scrambling up the scree on Chief Mountain a few years ago and looks promising for a 600. I am considering that now in addition to the BackLight 36L. I'll wait and see if there are some Black Friday sales and that might set me up. Transitioning from Sports shooter to wildlife photographer leaves me with some non-optimal carrying solutions. Thanks.

I checked to see if such a thread existed, but didn’t find one. I think it would be interesting to share what gear we carry and for which purpose / genre we use it.

Wildlife kit carried in a Lowepro Flipside Trek AW350:
- D850 + 500 PF for deer, fox, birds and butterflies
- Z50 + 18-140mm for occasional landscape and closeup photography (particularly mushrooms)
- extra battery for each, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch, knee pad, water bottle and lens cleaning cloth
-> I usually photograph in woods

Hiking kit carried in a Mindshift Photocross 13 Pack:
- Z6 + 24-120 F4 for landscape
- extra battery, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch, knee pad and lens cleaning cloth
- water bottle, GPS, first aid kit, hiking poles and rain jacket
-> I usually hike up the Alps

How about you?
This post is full of informative coal face experiences shared, its been so interesting and helpful, enjoying it mate, hats of to you for coming up with it.

Only an opinion

I checked to see if such a thread existed, but didn’t find one. I think it would be interesting to share what gear we carry and for which purpose / genre we use it.

Wildlife kit carried in a Lowepro Flipside Trek AW350:
- D850 + 500 PF for deer, fox, birds and butterflies
- Z50 + 18-140mm for occasional landscape and closeup photography (particularly mushrooms)
- extra battery for each, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch, knee pad, water bottle and lens cleaning cloth
-> I usually photograph in woods

Hiking kit carried in a Mindshift Photocross 13 Pack:
- Z6 + 24-120 F4 for landscape
- extra battery, Swiss knife, air blower, head torch, knee pad and lens cleaning cloth
- water bottle, GPS, first aid kit, hiking poles and rain jacket
-> I usually hike up the Alps

How about you?
You find the 24-120 is that good enough to leave the 24-70 ?

That’s quite a versatile setup (from extreme wide to telephoto). Makes me wonder what your main photo genre is? For which type of photography do you use the fish eye lens? I don’t know anyone that has this “exotic” lens.

In answer to your questions......but firstly I admire your kit, well thought out, all practical ergonomic for the purpose, and light which i like, its focused on photography.

My photography genre is spontaneous, always wide and varied, sports action, paparazzi, creative, wild life, nature, land, sea scape, street photography, travel, commercial, its endless and different all the time, this makes it hard to invest in more specific or exotic gear without ending up with my own camera warehouse LOL.
So i need a broad basic kit that covers 14mm to 500mm without to much duplication or excessive amount of gear.

I am also of a wholly trio plus school and believe less is more, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, add a 200-500, hire anything else.

My vision going forward is i am attracted to smaller lighter, one day, hence i like your kit for what you do.

I am waiting to see what the Z8 has to offer, if it has at least 12-14 fps is small light like the Z7II then its good bye Z9 in a heart beat, i am not defendant of auto 3 D tracking.

If i cant nail what i want with what i have i need to question how and what i am doing.

I find my D850 to be the best do anything well all round tool, with image files i just love. Its not a Z9 dedicated in tracking and speed etc.

The Z9 i have is a toe in the water of mirror less, yes its larger heavier, similar image files to the D850, it offers for me at 45mp a OPTIONAL significantly higher frame rate and the key advantage of super fast focus attack speed, the rest for me is optional or in cases overkill and to complicated to enjoy, but that's me, some like a Muscle car others a Toyota Camry LOl.

If i have special purpose needs or doing an important project, i hire the likes of a 600mm F4 or a D6 or whatever.

Some days I can be covering a Surfing competition finishing around late afternoon, and could finish with a seascape with sunset, or birds in flight in golden hour.

If i am traveling in the van (bed on wheels) LOL i like to be prepared for anything any time.

For me in my kit i cover 14mm to 500mm, my mantra is "I paint with light, the lenses are my brushes nothing more or less"

16mm F2.8 fish eye...........Its a stunning lens, very sharp, has a 180 degree filed of view, brilliant for Astro, landscape, seascape, and especially creative photography, street photography, my friend used 2 of them on DX cameras to do a creative wedding shoot, an amazing lens if you know how to use it to its potential.

It comes with 3 small filters, each one can slip into the back of the lens, red yellow clear, brilliant for black and whites. Wont focus on mirror less cameras, becomes manual only.

It was made originally for Astro many years ago, its super tiny and light, its unique and a bit like the 19mm Tilt Shift to use, that lens is as good as it gets for ultimate sharp landscape architectural shots but you also need to know how to use it to its potential and harness its magic.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Interesting, I too use my Sony RX100 to take movies.. I wish I could use only 3 lenses to cover most of my photography.. but I like so many genre.. that I require a multitude of lenses 😅
I have more lenses (too many) but these are the 3 I use for 90%+ of my photography. I do mainly wildlife, nature. The nature stuff is mostly intimate landscapes, macro insects and flowers, textures. I'n really not a "birder". I will take photos of birds but I don't specialize in them. I do love deer and spend a lot of time searching for them. Also in winter, the "birding" I do is usually waterfowl and raptors. Also, the older I get the more I try to simplify my life. That is one reason I really am interested in the mirrorless cameras, particularly the "hybrid" ones. It would be nice to carry one camera that can do both video and stills with ease.

The Sony RX series shoot way above their pay grade.

Well, I acknowledge that you addressed your post to Ado, not me. But permit me to offer this. Assuming you’re asking about the f/4 version of the Z 24-70, the Z 24-120/4 is, in my view, more useful because it pairs so well with the Z 100-400 - the overlap of only 20mm in focal length Is very convenient. Whereas the 24-70 leaves a gap from 70 to 100 mm in focal length.

If you acquire a good copy of the Z 24-120/4 it is a little better at the wide end than the 24-70/4 and just fine at the long end. It’s simply a really convenient focal length. My copy is very sharp. It is a staple of my wildlife/nature/landscape kit. Highly recommend it,

Well, I acknowledge that you addressed your post to Ado, not me. But permit me to offer this. Assuming you’re asking about the f/4 version of the Z 24-70, the Z 24-120/4 is, in my view, more useful because it pairs so well with the Z 100-400 - the overlap of only 20mm in focal length Is very convenient. Whereas the 24-70 leaves a gap from 70 to 100 mm in focal length.

If you acquire a good copy of the Z 24-120/4 it is a little better at the wide end than the 24-70/4 and just fine at the long end. It’s simply a really convenient focal length. My copy is very sharp. It is a staple of my wildlife/nature/landscape kit. Highly recommend it,
Very helpful, thank you so much for the feed back.

It is a nice way of putting it 👍 no point in tying up capital with lenses that only connect dust. That’s why I sold a few lenses this year, mostly to finance upgrades. Sold 200-500 to finance my 500PF. Sold 70-200 to finance my 24-120mm

Still can’t afford a Z9 (single family father..) but luckily it doesn’t suit my need / I like to travel light (or at least that’s what I keep trying to tell myself 😅)

Having 2 of the same body is definitely convenient.. but don’t you prefer having 2 bodies that complement each other? Like a Z6 for low light ? Or a Z7 when you rather wanna travel light?
Thanks for the reply and follow up question Ado.
I definitely understand financial limitations as I am a public school educator who is at the tail end of his career. Photography is my "one" thing and I spend much of my disposable income traveling to use the gear I have. My wife has stopped taking pictures and will not be able to resume shooting in the future. As a result, I sold her entire kit and used the funds to buy a Z9. The camera is an expensive bugger, but it has been more than worth the expense. I have had a D500 ever since it was introduced and eventually added a D850 to the bag. At one point, we had 3 D500's, a D850, and a Z6... The 4 DSLR's feel the same in my hand, so my photography became increasingly intuitive. With a Z9 and Z6II, I find that the camera's UI are so different that I need to think about the button layout on my Z6II... it is for this reason that I want a 2nd Z9. I'll gladly buy a small and less expensive body if it built with the Z9's user interface.

cheers,
bruce

Thanks for the "thumbs up". My Z 24-70/4 came to me with my original purchase of a Z6 in 2019 when Nikon was bundling that lens as a kit with the Z6 at a reduced price. It's a great lens. Was going to try to sell it recently, but there are so many of them for sale on the used market that the going price was too low.

You mention 'eyeing' the Z 100-400; you'll love the Z 100-400. While I love its capabilities, I actually would like to sell mine or trade it for a Z 70-200/2.8 since I now have the Z 400/4.5 and a Z TC14 to use with the Z 70-200 or the 400/4.5. But I am still "mulling" this idea over.
What a coincidence. Mine came with the Z6 Body as well.. and I too contemplating selling it.. but with so many available on the market (probably most sold after being replaced with the amazing 24-120), I decided it wasn't worth the low price. I am now glad I did not use it, cause every now and then, I use it as a compact solution or when I want to be more stealthy.. like kids birthdays (where I don't necessarily need the range between 70-120).

The Z100-400 sounds like a very good and versatile lens. The only point holding me back at the moment is the bad low light performance of F6.3. I sometimes struggle with F5.6 of the 500 PF, which is why I still use my 300 PF F4.. mainly because most of my photography happens at dawn, sunrise, sunset, blue hour.. that when most animals are active in my region.. and that in heavy wooded forests. So low light is quite important for me. That's why I seem more attracted to the 400mm F4.5.. but does the added 100mm reach over the 300 PF and native Z mount justify the steep price? that's something I still have to decide.

It is as good if not better, particularly at the 50-70mm range. It is by far the sharpest zoom in that range that I ever owned. From my stand point it has no fault. One only notices how versatile the added range is, when you get this lens. Furthermore, the added magnification / semi macro capabilities the 24-120mm has (x0.4) is a major upgrade compared to the 24-70mm magnification of x0.3 (on paper may sound as a small difference, but in practice it makes a big difference).

Back