what are the best carrying straps for heavy cameras and lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am seeing input on people' experiences with carrying straps for heavy cameras and lenses. Here are specific questions:

1. Blackrapid vs Holdfast Moneymaker: Has anyone tried both and if so what are your observations

2. Dual strap versus single straps for opposite shoulders: Do dual straps really work or do they get lopsided when only one side is loaded? Are you better off with two single cross body straps one on each side?

3. Are there other options that you have tried and like?

Help all of us make wise decisions.

I use two Black Rapid straps. I bought the double system, but do not use it as Black Rapid suggests. I find using it their way (one on each shoulder with the straps not crossing your body) leaves the cameras more prone to swing out away from my body. So I put the two straps on opposite shoulders and cross them across my body like a sash or bandolier. I find this approach limits the extent to which the cameras swing out from my body as I walk. (I still tend to have a hand on the camera or lens.) And works fine for using the cameras.

The heaviest camera and lens that I have used on a Black Rapid strap is the Z9 and Z 800 mm PF. I often have a long lens on one body and a shorter zoom on another.

I screw the Black Rapid connector into a RRS clamp (a clamp that tightens with a knob, not a lever). I then attach the RRS clamp to the camera body L plate (for short lenses without a foot or collar) or to the lens foot, in each case Arca Swiss compatible. I like this approach for a couple of reasons -- it is quicker to attach the camera/lens to the strap and with long lenses I can vary the attachment point on the lens foot to get the best balance.

I was at Point Lobos and Año Nuevo earlier in the month. I had my Z9 and the Z 180-600 on one strap and my Z8 and Z 24-120 on the other strap. Worked well. The only issue I had was that there were places on our hikes where I wanted to use a hiking pole. This is a bit harder when you have two cameras on two straps. I've decided to see if using one Black Rapid strap across my chest for the longer lens and a Cotton Carrier for the shorter lens will work better when I want to use a hiking pole. Just got a Cotton Carrier today, but have not tried it yet.

I have adopted RRS QD connector loops. to the Blackrapid strap. So far they seem to be holding well and they mount flush so you don't have to have a pre-attached screw on loop.

Has anyone done well using a monopod as a hiking pole?

Has anyone done well using a monopod as a hiking pole?
Sure. I have a Manfrotto carbon fiber that's quite stiff. Works well to steady you on uneven terrain. I don't hike much any more, so my answer is for the short haul.

Re straps, don't use them. One more thing to get in the way, and added weight.

Why not take 10 minutes and read the dozens of posts already made on this forum? If I feel I need additional information I read the reviews on bhphotovideo.com or amazon.com and focus on the negative reviews and judge whether their comments apply to my intended use.

Why not take 10 minutes and read the dozens of posts already made on this forum? If I feel I need additional information I read the reviews on bhphotovideo.com or amazon.com and focus on the negative reviews and judge whether their comments apply to my intended use.
Did you read his post? He actually has specific questions.

There are a couple of us here that use a tactical belt with a Peak Design Capture Clip and Pro Pad, along with straps. For the Z9 and larger lens, it helps stabilize the gear while walking between shooting locations. I have both the Peak Design Regular strap and a BR strap and sill might put the camera in the clip as it frees up another hand.

I also have a Spider tool holder (not the photography one) that allows one to attach a monopod easily. You can also attach others things likes lens cases.

It's an alternative to the Cotton System. Cotton has a similar hip belt that I have not tried.

I am seeing input on people' experiences with carrying straps for heavy cameras and lenses. Here are specific questions:

1. Blackrapid vs Holdfast Moneymaker: Has anyone tried both and if so what are your observations

2. Dual strap versus single straps for opposite shoulders: Do dual straps really work or do they get lopsided when only one side is loaded? Are you better off with two single cross body straps one on each side?

I use a Peak Design Slide strap (https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps/products/slide), and like it very much. It’s comfortable, very strong, and long enough that I’m able to use the camera without removing or repositioning the strap. I have a QR (quick release) swivel at the strap end, which pops into a socket on the foot of my long (and heavy) lens, with camera attached. I also have a separate, short “safety strap” with another QR swivel attached at the end, which pops into a socket of the camera base plate. In the highly unlikely event of a failure of one QR, the other will save the rig from crashing to the ground. I’ve used this setup in virtually all conditions and have never had an issue.

IMG_0932.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I am relatively new to the forum and have not tried searching for prior comments.
Welcome to BCG!

Click on the Search icon in the upper right side of the window. Type in something like "Blackrapid" and hit enter. There is a lot of information here on BCG. Often a quick search - before posting a question - will bring up helpful information.

I like the Black Rapid double…although I have to admit the separate them and cross strap them idea in another reply is intriguing…I’m going to try that. They’re all I’ve ever used…upgraded from a single one when I decided to carry 2 bodies with lenses mounted.

I use the Holdfast Moneymaker to carry the Z 9 on one side and the Z 8 on the on other. I use their Solo Moneymaker when carrying one camera I connect the Holdfast straps to the cameras using a QD connector. The leather straps are nice and sturdy, I also use a leather safety tether with them, They work great.

I just used the Cotton Carrier in Yellowstone and loved it. Carried the Z9/600 6.3 on the chest and the Z8/70-200 on the waist. Used the Spyder clip to hold my monopod. Was able to walk all over hands free. When appropriate, I will use this setup over a strap. When I do use a strap, it’s a Black Rapids over the shoulder. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. and experience.

I am going to take a little time to digest all of this and I may have some more questions or comments.

While I did advocate for the Magpul for large, heavy lens/camera combo, I do use a modified Black Rapid BackPack strap when hiking with pack. I put QD connectors on it. Also, I do use and love the Cotton Carrier vest for 100-400, 70-200 or shorter lenses. I am 5'9" and find that lenses long than 12" tend to either be too close to my chin at the top or too close to my crotch at the bottom. I think if you are taller than 6' the Cotton Carrier is an easy choice in terms of comfort and stability.

I use a moneymaker modified to QD. My use is working press and times I have 3 cameras on it. Typically Z8 with 500pf, 850 with a 70-200 and 750 with a 15-30.

Personally I wouldn't want to hike in the woods with this. You get quite a bit of swing from the cameras on your side. Event or spot news photography it's great. In serious crowds (riot comes to mind) the cameras take a bit of a beating.

It was designed for wedding shooters and I suspect it's perfect for that.

Quality wise it's top notch.

Magpul with dual QD. https://magpul.com/ms4-dual-qd-sling-gen-2.html?mp_global_color=118
Military grade. Can connect to QD on lens foot and also QD on L bracket for second connection point if desired. Assuming the licensing or agreement expired, but both RRS and Kirk have sold versions of the Magpul with their branding on it but do not at this time.
Likewise use the Magpul with the double QD's and all my ARCA mount rails, bottom plates and SmallRig cage have QD's on them. A somewhat near-term project is to have a friend who does leatherwork modify one or both of my Peak Design Slide straps so I can attach either the PD snaps or QD connectors. I like the width of the PD straps, though they tend to be "slippery" and slide around more than the Magpul material.

Likewise use the Magpul with the double QD's and all my ARCA mount rails, bottom plates and SmallRig cage have QD's on them. A somewhat near-term project is to have a friend who does leatherwork modify one or both of my Peak Design Slide straps so I can attach either the PD snaps or QD connectors. I like the width of the PD straps, though they tend to be "slippery" and slide around more than the Magpul material.
The PD straps have two sides. One limits sliding. Don't understand what you are trying to modify? Why not just put a PD round thingy connector mjob on the QD connector ring?

I'm also not impressed with the PD nylon slings, which refuse to lock in position.

Instead I use a padded wide strap borrowed from an older bigger model of ThinkTank sling bag, which I attach to the lens collar via the PD Anchor quick release toggle clips (the company's singular decent product IME). I cut up the PD sling to keep only the end holders for the Q-R toggles.

<edit> the PD Q-R Anchor toggle clips are rated to 90kg , and I've never had any problems carrying heavy telephoto rigs on the shoulder. These have weighed over 5kg in case of 400 f2.8E with D5 and a TC2 III

Last edited:
Back