what are the best carrying straps for heavy cameras and lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use a Black rapid strap either a a single or dual configuration and the heaviest lens I have used are a professional vertical gripped body and a 800 mm lens.

I have also converted to the QD system, which is easier to use than acra-swiss clamps.

The PD straps have two sides. One limits sliding. Don't understand what you are trying to modify? Why not just put a PD round thingy connector mjob on the QD connector ring?
I'm aware of the side with the "sticky" strips, but in use they often get flipped and I'd rather not have to pay attention to that. As for the PD pucks that normally attach to a camera, I've done that, attaching two of them to a QD Adapter, but I'm not entirely comfortable with the durability of that method when carrying a Z9 or Z8 and larger lens. That's a fine method for a lighter kit, though.

I have adopted RRS QD connector loops. to the Blackrapid strap. So far they seem to be holding well and they mount flush so you don't have to have a pre-attached screw on loop.

Has anyone done well using a monopod as a hiking pole?
Yes. I use a monopod for my camera/600 f4 arrangement and if needed, I separate them using Black Rapid/QD for foot of 600. Wimberly monopod head.

I love the Peak Design -- strap is 'comfy' but the quick release thingys are great and really convenient as I rarely use straps when actually in the field, shooting, so like to get rid of the strap when shooting. Not a strap, but for the big lens I've finally got a Cotton Carrier vest, which is great for moving with the camera; again when shooting I just carry the camera/lens. Cheers!

I use an upper body climbing harness, an example here, https://www.blackdiamondequipment.c...qO9SMBa81MPpxTeAdWQaAu54EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 00

I have a snap hook on the front and attach the camera to that.
I like this setup as it puts the weight on both shoulders and the camera is on my chest.
I can carry the camera attached to my tripod across my body in front of me and swing it into place if I have to move around although for any distance I put the combo on my shoulder.
Seeing parents with very young kids on their chests, and to an extent the Cotton carrier product had me looking at the climbing harness.
I also use the harness with my monopod with the Wimberly head in the manner of a flag standard harness. I use a PVC plumbing pipe cap on a
cord, ( length adjustable to fit), as a cup for the foot of the monopod which gives me easy mobility as the weight is on my shoulders and against my chest.

Took a bit of time to get used to it but now it is my normal rig.

I use an upper body climbing harness, an example here, https://www.blackdiamondequipment.c...qO9SMBa81MPpxTeAdWQaAu54EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 00

I have a snap hook on the front and attach the camera to that.
I like this setup as it puts the weight on both shoulders and the camera is on my chest.
I can carry the camera attached to my tripod across my body in front of me and swing it into place if I have to move around although for any distance I put the combo on my shoulder.
Seeing parents with very young kids on their chests, and to an extent the Cotton carrier product had me looking at the climbing harness.
I also use the harness with my monopod with the Wimberly head in the manner of a flag standard harness. I use a PVC plumbing pipe cap on a
cord, ( length adjustable to fit), as a cup for the foot of the monopod which gives me easy mobility as the weight is on my shoulders and against my chest.

Took a bit of time to get used to it but now it is my normal rig.
Would be interested to see some images of this set up. Thanks.

My problem is that I sometimes get back pain carrying a lot of heavy equipment. Now maybe it is because I am out of shape or maybe I am old.

I tried a number of things.

I tried the Cotton Carrier system. I still get back pain with the Cotton Carrier chest plate. I am a big guy and I think the straps on the carrier don't let me mount it low enough.

I also tried the Peak Design cross body straps. I like them but I feel when using the Z9 and heavier lenses it is too much pull on the side of my neck.

The Blackrapid straps with the underarm loop work well for me on the longer lenses. I can walk all day carrying a heavy lens that way. I modified the Blackrapid by using QD connectors. I use the RRS loops they work for me.

I have tried the Blackrapid double strap and it does not cause pain carrying two cameras and two lenses. However I find that situation awkward because when you pick up one side the weight on the other side becomes destabilized.

I have chosen to go with two single Blackrapid straps on opposite shoulders. I can carry two heavy rigs that way without problem.

However with two camera rigs they tend to swing around a lot and that is not safe for the equipment. I can hold two that way during an uncrowded shoot but I would not want to hike that way.

I can live with carrying one camera/lens on a single Blackrapid while carrying a tripod and extra lenses and bodies in a backpack.

When hiking with one camera on a blackrapid strap the lens tends to swing around. I can control the swing adequately for the most part.

I am going to look into some of the other solutions for stabilizing the camera at the waist belt.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and feedback. I am close to having the solution that works for me.

I absolutely love the cotton carrier vest even with two cameras attached it’s super comfortable and extremely easy to deploy the camera. Also comes with safety lanyards to prevent a drop. I’ve tried multiple approaches over the years and nothing comes close imo.

I need my hands free sometimes, when clambering around a boat or skiing, and found that a strap allowed the rig to swing. So I opted for holster holds - Cotton Carrier harness and CC sling. Easier on the neck too. I'm 5'9".
Need a plate attached to the foot to bring the holster hub up higher than CoG.
Cotton Carrier now has a plate to mount on lens foot (7 “) includes hub - works great!

I have been using Upstrap on my D500 with Tamron 150-600 zoom check out the review od Shutterbug

For me, it depends on what I am doing. I own two peak design straps and have carried two cameras, one over each shoulder crossed over my chest. This carries fine, but when using the camera on the bottom strap, the top strap gets in the way. This method also prevents you from being able to swing your arms, so for long hikes its a no for me. My favorite way to carry is the heavier camera in my hand and the lighter camera tucked in the sternum strap. I have a short sling on my back to connect the heavier camera to when I need to grab the smaller one for a quick shot.

I use a Peak Design Slide strap (https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps/products/slide), and like it very much. It’s comfortable, very strong, and long enough that I’m able to use the camera without removing or repositioning the strap. I have a QR (quick release) swivel at the strap end, which pops into a socket on the foot of my long (and heavy) lens, with camera attached. I also have a separate, short “safety strap” with another QR swivel attached at the end, which pops into a socket of the camera base plate. In the highly unlikely event of a failure of one QR, the other will save the rig from crashing to the ground. I’ve used this setup in virtually all conditions and have never had an issue.

View attachment 79438
Where did you get the QR swivels?

I shoot primarily landscapes, using a tripod, and for that I prefer NO straps as they just get in the way. When shooting birds/wildlife it all depends whether I'm using one body or multiple bodies.

For carrying one camera, I prefer using a Peak Design strap. It is well designed, easy to adjust, wide enough to distribute the weight nicely, and doesn't slip off my shoulder too easily. It can also be adjusted to be long enough to wear across my chest & neck so it's impossible to slide off.

Peak Design Slide Strap
pd strap.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If using two (or three) bodies I prefer the BlackRapid Double Breathe Harness. I've also used the OpTech Harness but was NOT satisfied with it at all. The BlackRapid distributes the weight very nicely and can be worn comfortably for an extended time period. IMHO, it is far better designed than the OpTech system. I did NOT like the BlackRapid method of attaching camera bodies so I adapted a system that combines the Peak Design AL-4 Anchor Links with a QD system that suits my needs better. I also added a set of clips that allow for the addition of a third body to be clipped to the shoulder straps. I don't often use a third body, but this does give me the option anyway.

BlackRapid Double Breathe Harness.
BR Harness.jpg

Peak Design AL-4 Anchor Links
PD links.jpg

QD Sling Swivel with Push Button Easy Install and Remove Sling Attachments
QD Buttons.jpg

Leofoto QDM
QD female.jpg

I use a Peak Design Slide strap (https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps/products/slide), and like it very much. It’s comfortable, very strong, and long enough that I’m able to use the camera without removing or repositioning the strap. I have a QR (quick release) swivel at the strap end, which pops into a socket on the foot of my long (and heavy) lens, with camera attached. I also have a separate, short “safety strap” with another QR swivel attached at the end, which pops into a socket of the camera base plate. In the highly unlikely event of a failure of one QR, the other will save the rig from crashing to the ground. I’ve used this setup in virtually all conditions and have never had an issue.

View attachment 79438
Where did you get your quick release swivels and sockets?

I use the Cotton Carrier vest. I am a small woman who carries a heavy lens. For 4.5 years I had a D500 and 200-500mm F mount lens. Prior to that I had a 100-400mm lens. Now I'm using the Z8 and the Z 180-600mm lens. I may be a rare photographer in that I really dislike straps. I am a birder and do a lot of walking with my camera. Don't like how the camera/lens swings around when using a strap. I shut a lens hood in my car door once when using a Black Rapid strap. That was the end of straps for me. I have a birding friend who used a strap for years, always carrying the camera on the same side of her body. She developed hip bursitis from the imbalance. Couldn't carry her camera for months until the bursitis went away. I've been using the Cotton Carrier vest for several years. I do sometimes have to turn the camera to the side when walking up hills to keep my long lens from getting in the way of leg movement. A taller person probably wouldn't have this issue.

I use the Cotton Carrier vest. I am a small woman who carries a heavy lens. For 4.5 years I had a D500 and 200-500mm F mount lens. Prior to that I had a 100-400mm lens. Now I'm using the Z8 and the Z 180-600mm lens. I may be a rare photographer in that I really dislike straps. I am a birder and do a lot of walking with my camera. Don't like how the camera/lens swings around when using a strap. I shut a lens hood in my car door once when using a Black Rapid strap. That was the end of straps for me. I have a birding friend who used a strap for years, always carrying the camera on the same side of her body. She developed hip bursitis from the imbalance. Couldn't carry her camera for months until the bursitis went away. I've been using the Cotton Carrier vest for several years. I do sometimes have to turn the camera to the side when walking up hills to keep my long lens from getting in the way of leg movement. A taller person probably wouldn't have this issue.
I think the cotton carrier vest is phenomenal and I can carry two bodies for several miles very comfortably. I’ve been using the system several years and can’t imagine not having it.

Back