what are the best carrying straps for heavy cameras and lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The Blackrapid straps with the underarm loop work well for me on the longer lenses. I can walk all day carrying a heavy lens that way. I modified the Blackrapid by using QD connectors. I use the RRS loops they work for me.
I have been a long time user of Black rapid straps both Dual and Single. I'm not a big fan however of the carabiner attaching to a screw in loop on the lens plate. I think Wotan is on to something here using the QD connectors directly into the lens plate. Seems it would be a much faster way to attach the strap to the plate. Could you attach a close up photo of how you attached the QD to the Black Rapid strap. May seem straightforward but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks in advance.

My personal experience is with Black Rapid and Holdfast straps. For my larger lenses like the 100-400, 180-600, 600PF, and 800PF IMO the Holdfast MM (two cameras) and Money Maker Solo (single camera are far better than my similar function Black Rapid similar straps for comfort and useability.

I use Black rapid for my Z9/400TC. Just got to know Leofoto has a strap with QD and placed the order. Their lens feet also has the QD socket. Will report back after I receive the strap.

Last edited:
Lots of useful info here I am trying to digest in looking for a system for my Z9/800 PF. Anyone use a Kirk security strap? A bit more expensive but I like the concept.

Phil
I prefer the BlackRapid system myself, but I have looked at the Kirk & Leofoto straps as well. Of those two, I preferred the Leofoto because I like the QD system. Leofoto has two different straps, depending on how you want to connect the strap to the camera.

Leofoto SP-01 Push Button Quick Detach Strap

1706203082728.png

Leofoto SP-01+DC-22Q QD Strap & Clamp Kit

1706203065667.png

I prefer the BlackRapid system myself, but I have looked at the Kirk & Leofoto straps as well. Of those two, I preferred the Leofoto because I like the QD system. Leofoto has two different straps, depending on how you want to connect the strap to the camera.
Bill I also prefer the Black Rapid system because of the ease of sliding the camera from its hanging position to your eye. Also the lock tabs that prevent the camera from swinging forward when bending forwards. My friend Monte has the Leofoto SP-01 strap pictured in your post. He convinced me to get one. I did and after using it I returned it. It is a beautifully well made strap but it does not slide. The whole strap moves up when you go to shoot. Mine kept getting hung up in my jacket. I'm trying to get Wootan 1 to respond with a photo of his conversion from the carabiner to the QD hardware. I think this has lots of potential to be the hot ticket. Anyone out there know how to nudge Wootan 1 to respond. I tried PM to no avail.

Has anyone done well using a monopod as a hiking pole?
While this can work, it's usually a compromise that falls short for both photography and hiking.
  • Starting with the length, a hiking pole is measured in vertical position while a monopod is usually used at a 60 degree angle or so. A monopod needs to be at eye level rather than at chest level. So you need a much longer monopod.
  • Hiking poles are often designed with some degree of compression - like a shock absorber. You'll also see some flex in hiking poles. That's not the case for a monopod where stability is required.
  • On rough surfaces you will quickly wear the foot of a monopod while a hiking pole has a tip meant for use on rock or hard surfaces.
  • Finally - you usually use a pair of hiking poles and a single monopod.

Just looked on U Tube and the guy just attached the RRS QD connector to the carabiner . I was thinking Wootan came up with a way of detaching the carabiner all together. My bad.

I was out of town for a few days, just got back.

NO I did not detach the carabiner I just opened it and substituted the RRS ring for the one that came with the strap.

Has anyone done well using a monopod as a hiking pole?
Yes I have used a carbon fiber monopod as a hiking pole for many years. It is really beneficial when hiking off trail, it really comes in handy crossing water, marshy areas, and climbing down/up steep rocky terrain. If I find I don't need it then I strap it to my pack. Which happens if you want to take some hand held shots. I've learned to never prop it up agains a tree, or lay it down. The next thing you know you've moved away following the subject, and have to back track to find it.

Just looked on U Tube and the guy just attached the RRS QD connector to the carabiner . I was thinking Wootan came up with a way of detaching the carabiner all together. My bad.
I have done this. The carabiner is held captive by stitching in the tail of the strap. I unpicked the stitching and simply slid the carabiner off the strap’s free end. I then replaced the carabiner with the QD swivel, returned the strap to its folded position and sewed the tail over as it had been from new. I used a sewing machine and a stitch unpicked and it took me about 20 minute.

Reactions: MJR
I use a Peak Design Slide strap (https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps/products/slide), and like it very much. It’s comfortable, very strong, and long enough that I’m able to use the camera without removing or repositioning the strap. I have a QR (quick release) swivel at the strap end, which pops into a socket on the foot of my long (and heavy) lens, with camera attached. I also have a separate, short “safety strap” with another QR swivel attached at the end, which pops into a socket of the camera base plate. In the highly unlikely event of a failure of one QR, the other will save the rig from crashing to the ground. I’ve used this setup in virtually all conditions and have never had an issue.

View attachment 79438
This is what I use but without the second safety strap. I have had no problems with my peak designs. I use it cross body and it is very easy to slide out of the way when I am walking.

I use the Holdfast gear Moneymaker which can actually hold up to 3 cameras in a pinch, conected to QD connectors. I also use there Solo strap when carrying one camera. The straps I have also have leather safety straps for added security. I like what Holdfast calls sailclips to connect to the QD connectors, they are very secure yet quick to release when you want to remove your camera from the strap. They are expensive but really well made and adjustable.

Back