What are the best Nikon lenses one can own which are perhaps superior to thier competitors?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Neo-Noct : "....One of those non-quantifiable features is the three-dimensional look that the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G is able to produce in images. Nikon specifically used these words in its marketing materials and even called the 58mm f/1.4G “three-dimensionally high-fidelity lens”. The three-dimensionality is a very subjective factor....."

105 f1.4E - " Thanks to the magic that Nikon put into this marvel, the lens is able to produce aesthetically pleasing images that rival the look of some of the best portrait lenses in the world. Its ability to beautifully isolate subjects from the background with creamy bokeh, while capturing an incredible amount of detail at maximum aperture will surely keep its reputation high for many years to come, and make it the ideal tool for portrait photography. "

View attachment 27202

View attachment 27201
Fascinating - where did you get your info?

Fascinating - where did you get your info?

Both quotes are from PL - click on respective len's name
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-58mm-f1-4g

the bokeh chart was originally posted in a dpr thread but all those comparative charts are gone. So I'm glad I databased copies for my research references etc- now shared here
The OP of that 2016 thread showed how the best transitions are smooth and pleasant, yet the "amount" of visible detail in the photograph is very shallow especially at shallow DOF in a wide-aperture image (DOF is extremely tight). The huge improvement is to design a portrait lens, which in some way extends the visible detail beyond the usual DOF.
"That is exactly what the 58G is doing!"

Neo-Noct : "....One of those non-quantifiable features is the three-dimensional look that the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G is able to produce in images. Nikon specifically used these words in its marketing materials and even called the 58mm f/1.4G “three-dimensionally high-fidelity lens”. The three-dimensionality is a very subjective factor....."

105 f1.4E - " Thanks to the magic that Nikon put into this marvel, the lens is able to produce aesthetically pleasing images that rival the look of some of the best portrait lenses in the world. Its ability to beautifully isolate subjects from the background with creamy bokeh, while capturing an incredible amount of detail at maximum aperture will surely keep its reputation high for many years to come, and make it the ideal tool for portrait photography. "

View attachment 27202

View attachment 27201

Last edited:
Both quotes are from PL - click on respective len's name
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-58mm-f1-4g

the bokeh chart was originally posted in a dpr thread but comparative charts are gone. So I'm glad I databased copies for my research references etc- now shared here
The OP of that 2016 thread showed how the best transitions are smooth and pleasant, yet the "amount" of visible detail in the photograph is very shallow especially at shallow DOF in a wide-aperture image (DOF is extremely tight). The huge improvement is to design a portrait lens, which in some way extends the visible detail beyond the usual DOF.
"That is exactly what the 58G is doing!"
Wow, this is special.

Back