What cleaning supplies do you take on a trip?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just curious what people take on a trip to clean their gear. In a few months I’ll be Texas and they advise bringing some cleaning supplies. Since I’ll be going through TSA obviously liquids are controlled.

I’m thinking a lens brush, some Kimwipes, some astro lens cleaner (safe for all coatings), and a rocket blower. Am I missing anything? What do you take with you to dustier places?

Honestly I rarely need more than a lens cloth. I do have a lens "pen" that has a felt tip coated with liquid cleaner, but I don't think I have ever used it!

Reactions: GER
Small rocket blower, optical wipes, sensor swabs, Eclipse fluid, microfiber cloth and a lenspen. Helps me keep my sunglasses and reading glasses clean, too.

Looks like I’m on the right path with what I’m planning on bringing. With the sensor shield on the Z8 I’m hoping a rocket blower would be all I need generally speaking for sensor. I had thought about eclipse and use that for lenses. I like using sensor wipes to gently control the application and usage of liquid on lenses, too.

Rocket blower, assorted sizes of microfiber cloths (larger for body, smaller for lenses and screens, Zeiss wipes and I also use microfiber lens wipes sold by Walgreens and RiteAid, brush (currently I'm carrying a shaving brush in my travel bag and a smaller lenspen brush in my daypack). Though I have sensor cleaning stuff I don't carry it to the field.

Blower, sensor brush, sensor swabs for wet cleaning if necessary, Nikon lens pen, about 10 or 12 lint free microfiber cloths (single use only so that's why so many) 1 microfiber cloth and dedicated brush for cleaning external camera and lens crevices. All fits in a small hard clamp shell case except the microfiber cloths as they just go in a small zipper pocket of the camera bag.

Looks like I’m on the right path with what I’m planning on bringing. With the sensor shield on the Z8 I’m hoping a rocket blower would be all I need generally speaking for sensor. I had thought about eclipse and use that for lenses. I like using sensor wipes to gently control the application and usage of liquid on lenses, too.
I would also get a sensor brush. That is invaluable to get a stubborn dust particle loose that the blower won't get but without having to do a wet cleaning

I only take a 1 oz spray bottle with lens cleaning solution along with a couple of microfiber cloths, a soft retractable brush, and a few packets of Zeiss lens cleaner. I use two cameras to minimize lens changes outdoors and even then try to make the changes inside a vehicle if possible.

Dust on the sensor can be a problem but primarily with images shot at small apertures of f11 or smaller and even then only in a blank sky. I keep my camera's dust free on the outside and periodically vacuum out my shoulder bags and backpacks so I minimize transfer of dust from the outside to the inside of the camera.

Small rocket blower, optical wipes, sensor swabs, Eclipse fluid, microfiber cloth and a lenspen. Helps me keep my sunglasses and reading glasses clean, too.

The Eclipse cleaning fluid is flammable, so you can't bring it on airlines (carry-on, or checked luggage). I might bring it when traveling by car though.

I typically bring ROR Residual Oil Remover when I travel by air.

Last edited:
… I’ll add to my earlier post that I also try to remember wooden toothpicks and q-tips for getting into those stubborn crevices. Yeah, sometimes I get bored, even in fantastic places…

The Eclipse cleaning fluid is flammable, so you can't bring it on airlines (carry-on, or checked luggage). I might bring it when traveling by car though.

I typically bring ROR Residual Oil Remover when I travel by air.
Dang, I had no idea! Maybe I can drop it into my water-filled Yeti next time, before I board…? ;) I’ll check out that ROR, meanwhile.

Can anybody recommend a very small blower to take on a trip? I know the larger ones tend to work better, but space will probably be at a premium and dust somehow always seems to find it on to my Nikon sensors more than my other bodies. Go figure.

Thanks,

--Ken

With my DSLR cameras I took a small spray bottle of lens cleaner and a small camel hair retractable brush and micro fiber cloths. I did not worry about sensor cleaning for two reasons. I was very careful to prevent exposing the interior of the camera to the ambient dust by making as few lens changes as possible and trying to do so inside a vehicle or building whenever possible. Having two cameras and one with a prime telephoto and the second one with a zoom telephoto meant switching cameras and not changing out lenses.

The other factor is that sensor dust is nearly always a problem in images with lots of sky and where I was using an aperture of f/11 or smaller. Most of my wildlife images have very little or no sky and often I am shooting at a large aperture so as to have as low an ISO setting as possible.

I keep my bags and backpacks as clean as possible and will periodically vacuum out their interiors. I also favor backpacks like the Gura Gear Bataflae that have outside pockets for small items and do not required opening up the main compartment to get to a battery or memory card case or filter wallet or speedlight.

Dang, I had no idea! Maybe I can drop it into my water-filled Yeti next time, before I board…? ;) I’ll check out that ROR, meanwhile.
Hand sanitizer is flammable as well and I've seen plenty of people bringing that. And while smoking is not allowed…lighters and matches are also allowed. I looked on the TSA page and there was no real definition of "flammable liquid" and what does or does not count.

I have no problem with sensor cleaning and have a kit I put together with 3 solvents and extra wipes but it's a process I'd rather do at home. If I was expecting trouble it would be in my camera bag but mostly I leave it home and rely on my filtered squeeze blower. The only thing that really stuck to one of my sensors was shutter/mirror oil (D810) and that isn't the problem it used to be.

Back