What cleaning supplies do you take on a trip?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Toilet paper, diaper wipes, trash compacter garbage bags and duct tape. Oh you mean for the camera and lenses. I have a lens pen, some ROR and lens tissue. I also carry a retired shaving brush. Great for dusting things off in addition to the lens pen.

Hand sanitizer is flammable as well and I've seen plenty of people bringing that. And while smoking is not allowed…lighters and matches are also allowed. I looked on the TSA page and there was no real definition of "flammable liquid" and what does or does not count.
There is a flight safe version of Eclipse called Aeroclipse.

Can anybody recommend a very small blower to take on a trip? I know the larger ones tend to work better, but space will probably be at a premium and dust somehow always seems to find it on to my Nikon sensors more than my other bodies. Go figure.

Thanks,

--Ken
I use a large Rocket Blower. It fits in my bag next to the lens foot of my long lenses. Since the blower can compress if needed, it takes very little space. It's also something I use regularly. A small bulb blower is not very effective.

I always have packs of Zeiss Lens Wipes in my bags. That's used for both lenses and for glasses. I carry a 2 oz. spray bottle with lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth in my main pack. The cleaner and cloth are kept in a small ziplock bag in case of spills or leakage.

For my sensor, I usually pack a sensor brush (Arctic Butterfly or a knock-off), and may or may not take a sensor loupe. I have a small set of sensor swabs and cleaning fluid in my main camera pack, but it would be rare for me to need a wet cleaning on a trip. I use the Rocket Blower as my first line of defense.

Depends on how long I will be out in the field and whether I will be changing lenses. Worst case, I bring a blower, lighted sensor magnifying loupe, sensor cleaning fluid (version acceptable for air travel) with sensor wipe brushes, small brush for the exterior, and lots of Nikon or Zeiss lens wipes. I also bring a small bottle of lens cleaner with microfiber cloth for my glasses that I use on the camera body and lens exteriors.

But for the price…is it really bett than a regular rocket blower? I could be wrong…but it doesn’t seem like it would be that much better…but if it is then it’s worth it. If it’s just the convenience of not needing to squeeze it…maybe not.
A rocket blower is far less fragile and can be squeezed into a corner, no batteries to mind.... I'm another one not convinced.

A rocket blower is far less fragile and can be squeezed into a corner, no batteries to mind.... I'm another one not convinced.
True…but OTOH the continuous air stream at higher speed than a rocket blower stands a decent chance of better dust removal…dunno. Several people whose opinion I trust swear by them.

The Nicore is USB-C rechargeable, and blows with more force than a squeeze blower. I have had mine since September and have never had an issue with the battery or build quality.

The Nicore is USB-C rechargeable, and blows with more force than a squeeze blower. I have had mine since September and have never had an issue with the battery or build quality.
I went ahead and ordered the Nicole…I've seen enough albeit anecdotal reports that it's better than a rocket blower to make it worthwhile.

But for the price…is it really better than a regular rocket blower? I could be wrong…but it doesn’t seem like it would be that much better…but if it is then it’s worth it. If it’s just the convenience of not needing to squeeze it…maybe not.
Yes it is really better if you look at the tests (some videos on Youtube demonstrates this) and from experience - the rocket blower just doesn't get to Kalahari dust.

Not that the Nitecor doesn't work well, but the amount of reviews re the unit failing to charge, is too high for my liking.

Back