What do you use for RAW conversion?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What is your RAW convertor?

• DXO PhotoLab

• Lightroom

• Capture One

• ACDSee

• On1 Photo RAW

• Photoshop

• Darktable

• Other (mention in comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
This may be off-topic but I did want to clarify a few things as a long-time user of LrC and a teacher for a couple of summers at a local JC. I think some people who do not use the software, and it looks like most do, simply don't understand what the software can do and then they say something that may not be quite correct and other readers will assume it is.

I use Photoshop as I dislike LR and similar applications that require loading files and adding meta data as a first step. I want to sort and cull images before doing any image editing.

I understand why the developers of LR chose to use the film to print process metaphorically but having shot and developed and worked with film for decades prior to getting my first digital camera, I do not find it useful but rather cumbersome when dealing with large quantities of files from a day of shooting.

I was using Affinity but the company has not bothered to make the changes to allow Nikon compressed file import. Affinity is the best third party application when it comes to working with my old PSD and TIFF files that contain layers.

In relation to the first sentence, LrC, I use the Classic version so talking about that version, does not "load files" or add metadata as a "first step," than than the primary link to the application. The images we have in our folders stay where we put them and never load into the software but simply link from the folder to the software so that they show up and can be worked with. As we work with them metadata is added to the image, either within the image or in a separate small file, depending upon the file and what we have instructed the software to do. There is a portion of the process that does create lag time and that is when the thumbnail images are rendered, but even that can be set in various ways. Some people prefer to view images first in other software that they like better for a quick run-through and then import the images they like into LrC, remember, "import" actually means to link up the image, nothing is ever imported into the software.

Do you have to keep extra DNGs to use DXO via LR? Is it a simple process in general? I'm deliberating buying into Adobe and using DXO from in there.

When working with other software using LrC as a base, the image is opened from within LrC, worked on, saved, then exported back into LrC, it can then be sent to a different software package, too, if that is desired. This process creates multiple individual files that you can choose to keep or delete as per your working method. Sometimes I delete them and sometimes I keep them. All of the images stay together and you can "hide" the other images behind the one you want to see if you want to work that way. And, yes, it is a simple process. I use PS, Topaz and various other software this way a lot after deciding what I want to process. It's a very efficient way of working.

I use ACR to do all my adjustments.
I don't like the importing business involved with LRC.
I prefer organizing my photos into folders I create in Finder.
Much easier to do and find what I'm looking for.

In relation to the third sentence regarding folder creation, as I've already talked about the importing process. LrC does not set up its own folders, you set up folders and then tell the software which folders you want it to link to. You completely control the folder set-up process. I have over 160,000 images, all linked to LrC, all in folders and I manage that process, not the software. The software simply does what I tell it to do.

Why do so many people use this particular software? For multiple reasons, of course, but also because it is a complete package that actually includes seven software modules, from organizing to creating and printing. Additionally, the software subscription comes with free fonts and several other tools that can be useful to a photographer. The software creates an ideal base program to use with other software that a photographer might like, such as Topaz or PS. And, it allows a photographer to set up a system to identify images using various metadata that allows the photographer to find a particular image within seconds. The organizing capabilities of the software are varied and many and everything is in one place so that makes working with images much easier. I've used many software packages and I've found LrC to be the one for me, but of course it's not for everyone as we all have different ideas about what we want to do with our images.

To me the main thing about Lightroom is that the photography plan includes Photoshop and the main thing about Photoshop is that the photography plan includes Lightroom. If they were not bundled I could in theory use Photoshop with the includes ACR and maybe Bridge and be happy. But since they are bundled what a combo they are.

In relation to the third sentence regarding folder creation, as I've already talked about the importing process. LrC does not set up its own folders, you set up folders and then tell the software which folders you want it to link to. You completely control the folder set-up process. I have over 160,000 images, all linked to LrC, all in folders and I manage that process, not the software. The software simply does what I tell it to do.
Thanks for the feedback.
I tried using LrC and having my pictures imported into the folders I created.
But I must be doing something wrong because each time LrC created sub folders under the folders I created.
I was frustrating moving the pictures back to the folders I made and getting rid of the ones I didn't.
If someone can explain why this is happing and what I'm doing wrong I'd be grateful.

Thanks for the feedback.
But I must be doing something wrong because each time LrC created sub folders under the folders I created.
I was frustrating moving the pictures back to the folders I made and getting rid of the ones I didn't.
If someone can explain why this is happing and what I'm doing wrong I'd be grateful.
There is a checkbox in the import options on the right to create sub-folder.

Untitled-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

HI, as Jerry showed you above, the culprit is most likely that the "Into Subfolder" was checked. One easy way to ensure that you import into the correct folder is to highlight an already named folder on the left from within LrC and then right-click and choose Import into Folder. It really does help if you read the instructions put out by Adobe on the Library Module, which is the heart of the software. Get a good grounding in learning that module and you most likely will not have future problems. Also, read what the application is telling you and then choose the correct choice, do not just assume that the settings are what you want.

Jerry, I went and checked and yes it was checked.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Viathelens, I have a book on LrC and read the import section but there's no mention of that sub-folder option.
I also watched a few videos on importing and again o mention of it.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

NX Studio for now. I need to invest the time to learn LrC and PS but don't have the time right now. I don't enjoy post processing that much, I'd rather be out shooting with what time I have. And learning THAT side of things. NX Studio seems pretty good and fits my budget, until I have more time.
I'm still working with an older laptop I got from work when I retired, so a hardware upgrade will help too.

A combination of C1, PhotoLab and Photoshop. C1’s major weakness is noise reduction, which is exceptionally basic. PhotoLab’s noise reduction and lens corrections are sublime. I often find DXO’s Clearview to be too harsh, and I think I would gravitate to PhotoLab if it had discrete adjustments for dehaze, clarity and structure (C1 excels here). Overall, I find Adobe’s rendering of detail less than awesome.

A combination of C1, PhotoLab and Photoshop. C1’s major weakness is noise reduction, which is exceptionally basic. PhotoLab’s noise reduction and lens corrections are sublime. I often find DXO’s Clearview to be too harsh, and I think I would gravitate to PhotoLab if it had discrete adjustments for dehaze, clarity and structure (C1 excels here). Overall, I find Adobe’s rendering of detail less than awesome.
I agree about the clear view, but at very low settings it is pretty cool. The default is garish but it can be turned off or used very sparingly.

I agree about the clear view, but at very low settings it is pretty cool. The default is garish but it can be turned off or used very sparingly.
I also find that it works best when used on a linear raw file. It doesn't work well on harshly lit images in my experience.

More people use CaptureOne than I expected in the poll. I used Photoshop from v1 to a year or so into the forced subscription tier. My experience with their customer support on several fronts angered me enough to leave and not return. C1 works well for me but if that eventually is a problem there are other solutions out there :)

NX studio is all that I use. A new laptop on the way and considering taking the dive into Lightroom.

I'm the same. I'm pretty happy with NX Studio so far, but I think LrC will probably add a lot to my storage and organizing and speed things up. I'm looking forward to learning it. But I have an ancient laptop. The slowness of my workflow is primarily that. It won't run LrC very well, I tried it with a free month it offered.

I'm thankful that Nikon provides such a great program to its users for free.

Back