What technology platform do you use?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which camera technologies do you use?

• I use mirrorless cameras exclusively

Votes: 117 60.3%
  • I use DSLR cameras exclusively

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I use both mirrorless and DSLR cameras

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • I use film cameras exclusively

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use film cameras and either DSLR or mirrorless cameras

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Over the past couple of years, many (most?) BCGers have transitioned to mirrorless technology, but I'm curious how many people still USE (actively use, not just own older cameras), or perhaps entirely rely upon, DSLR cameras, or even film? I know that I'm likely in the minority of holdouts still using DSLR exclusively, but it would be interesting to know if I'm the only one, or if other folks haven't yet made the transition. My reluctance to change is mainly due to the financial requirements involved, but also because of the learning curve associated with changing (just call me an old dog who doesn't adapt easily to new tricks). How about you?

I have upgraded my cameras when new ones provided better performance in terms of autofocus. The D500, D850, and D5 cameras with their dedicated AF processor were a big improvement for Nikon shooters. In the very difficult situation with a subject rapidly approaching the camera the D5 would succeed whereas other cameras would fail.

For me it was choosing between the better autofocus with the D5 or the much greater image resolution with the D850. With the Z9 I now longer needed to make that choice as I had both capabilities in a single camera. I also gained subject detection and so no longer needed to use manual override to have the camera focused on the eyes of a subject or focus on a subject that was partly blocked by brush.

Another gain with the Z9 for me was the much improved S-mount lenses including the 100-400mm, 24-120mm, and the 800mm PF. It is the combination of the new cameras with the new lenses that made the upgrade worthwhile. With the D3 I gained a pro level full frame camera but equally important were the new 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm lenses released by Nikon at the same time. The 14-24 and 24-70mm f/2.8 were significantly better than the Canon lenses I was using at the time.

I have three film cameras. I don’t use them often… the oldest one only twice a year. But, I enjoy having them and they’re fun to use. The majority of my photography is with Nikon mirrorless, though.

I use my Z8 & Z9 primarily for Wildlife, Raptor, and Birding Photography. In my switch to Nikon Mirrorless I still have several Nikon DSLR bodies one of which is the D850 that I use often for Landscapes. So much invested in good DSLR Glass it was a decision to keep the DSLR Cameras as well. Just my opinion but the D500 or the D850 with either the 300PF or 500PF is still worth keeping.

I switched to the Z9 then Z8 but kept my D500 and 500mm PF which my wife uses. The new mirrorless Nikon's burn batteries much faster and when I switched, there were no "killer lenses" that I really wanted for these cameras (I actually bought and returned the 100-400mm). Also, instead of decreasing the weight of my gear, it increased it (the Z9 and 800mm PF) or was about the same (the Z8 plus the 400mm f/4.5). For sure there was also a learning curve as well as the additional investment necessary. On the positive side, for my style of wildlife photography (moving animals), having the ability to shoot 20fps was a big plus as well as pre-capture. Also the eye/subject detection as well as seeing if I have my settings wrong with the EVF showing me that I have overexposed or underexposed. And I also really wanted to do more video and having a Z8/Z9 definitely helps to do that. So for me, definitely felt it was a net positive. The more recent introduction of the 800mm and 600mm PF lenses as well as the 180-600mm is the additional plus for switching to the mirrorless. However buying one of these new lenses then completely commits one to the mirrorless technology since when one goes on a trip, having a back-up body (ie. a DSLR) won't help if it can't use your primary lens.

Last edited:
I use my Z8 & Z9 primarily for Wildlife, Raptor, and Birding Photography. In my switch to Nikon Mirrorless I still have several Nikon DSLR bodies one of which is the D850 that I use often for Landscapes. So much invested in good DSLR Glass it was a decision to keep the DSLR Cameras as well. Just my opinion but the D500 or the D850 with either the 300PF or 500PF is still worth keeping.
I currently use a Z8 and Z9, with occasional D7500.

I have pretty much all my old cameras back to the first D40 I bought in 2008. That said, my grandchildren over the years have used a lot of the old ones. My husband is still using the D7100, but I finally got him into using the 500PF with it. He was asking about another camera choice, I've got a D850 just looking for someone to love it again. Going to try talking him into it.

I use a d500 with a 300mm pf and 500mm pf, plus a 150-600mm g2 tamron. I think I haven't exhausted what I can learn from this combo. I also have a d7200 I recently bought used for a back up body. I'm trying it out for landscape and flowers but so far, it isn't making as nice images as the d500. I'm not passing judgment on it yet, I just got it and need to learn how to use it effectively. Iso needs to be lower and the AF isn't nearly as good. I'm trying it out with the teles next.

I plan to move to a z8 at some point, maybe in the next 2 years. I'll use my f glass with it for probably 2 years after getting the z8.

My 1st priority is storage (I'm building a NAS now), a new computer and laptop, and learning LRc once I get the new computer.

Two z9’s and an older z7ii.]

By now I have converted to all Z lenses and gave my F mount equipment to my niece who Is starting out in photography.

Recently switched to MAC for post processing and photo storage.

Have most of what I need now but plan to add a super prime lens in the future.

My F and Z lens systems complement each other very well, with a big overlap of F working seamlessly on Z....

The Z9 delivers well, with more features than I will use ever (eg LAN networking).

However the D6 is a formidable instrument, and I know my well worn D850 works as well as it always has, since 2017

I bought a Z8 months ago but I'm still using the D850 and my 7 F mount lenses a lot more than the mirrorless. I'm not using my D500 as much as I used to though. The main reason for this situation is definitely the learning curve associated with the Z8. I have the FTZ II but expect that I will eventually end up purchasing about 4 Z mount lenses.

I use my D500 exclusively. As I age, weight is more of a consideration, and I'm still hoping that Nikon releases a lighter, mirrorless version of the D500. It would still have to be lighter with a FTZ adapter appended however, before I would buy it....

Planning to ride off into the sunset shooting my 810 and 850. As a retiree the cost/benefit analysis of going mirrorless doesn't work out. The improved Z glass would be my real motivation to go mirrorless and If 10 years younger I would buy a Z8 just to use the 14-24Z and not need the cumbersome Fotodiox filter system. But if Nikon makes a Z 200 macro my calculus could change.

DSLR with a D500. For the type of shooting I do, mostly songbird portraits, the DSLR works just fine. If I wanted to photograph fast action or take advantage of the amazing Z lenses I'd likely upgrade to mirrorless, but probably not until my son is done with daycare 😂

I checked both mirrorless and DSLR. However I rarely use the DSLR these days. I used my D7200 for the eclipse. Thought if I was going to risk burning a hole in a sensor might as well be no older backup camera.

I didn't transition until the arrival of the Z9. For me, there are just too many technological advantages to mirrorless. It is indeed a challenge to change, but the rewards, for me, were well worth it.

Just do what you feel comfortable doing if it meets your needs and don't worry about what others are doing.
Couldn't agree more. All of us have different "challenges" (financial, physical, etc). The goal is to enjoy what one is doing, life is short.

DSLR with a D500. For the type of shooting I do, mostly songbird portraits, the DSLR works just fine. If I wanted to photograph fast action or take advantage of the amazing Z lenses I'd likely upgrade to mirrorless, but probably not until my son is done with daycare 😂
Hate to break it to you, but after daycare there's 12 years of school & sports (at least), then getting a career started, starting a family, grandkids - it never ends!! 🤣

I’m Mirrorless but I found my old Minolta 7000 in a cupboard. It’s dead and the plastic is white in places … c1983 … I’m thinking of restoring it. Just for fun. Cheap as old socks on flea bay lol

I'm using both mirrorless and DSLRs.

In my experience, the people that benefit the most from mirrorless are the following:

1) Camera manufacturers - they get to sell you new cameras and lenses that are cheaper to manufacture but command a higher retail price.
2) Wildlife photographers that can afford the ultra-fast, no black-out cameras (and the Canon R5/6 :D) - they can consistently get shots that weren't possible before.
3) Video shooters - the video quality you can get from mirrorless and the convenience of IBIS and AF is also game changing.
4) People who need to shoot silently - self explanatory.

For everybody else, there is a nuanced discussion on a case by case of what and how they shoot if mirrorless is worth the upgrade or not.

Back