What technology platform do you use?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which camera technologies do you use?

• I use mirrorless cameras exclusively

Votes: 118 60.5%
  • I use DSLR cameras exclusively

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I use both mirrorless and DSLR cameras

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • I use film cameras exclusively

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use film cameras and either DSLR or mirrorless cameras

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
The other half of the tech platform is the computer.

I use macOS (Mac Studio M2 Ultra). This setup will stay at 100% utilization for hours on end while LrC is processing 1:1 previews. I can even use LrC while it's doing so.

I have a similarly powerful Windows 11 PC, but its liquid-cooled Intel CPU (Core i9-13900K) just doesn't operate smoothly when processing. The CPU usage graph is jaggy and spiky. Also, LrC on Windows is totally unusable for hours while it processes. Not to mention it consumes 3x the power than the Mac Studio and is basically a space heater.

The other half of the tech platform is the computer.

I use macOS (Mac Studio M2 Ultra). This setup will stay at 100% utilization for hours on end while LrC is processing 1:1 previews. I can even use LrC while it's doing so.

I have a similarly powerful Windows 11 PC, but its liquid-cooled Intel CPU (Core i9-13900K) just doesn't operate smoothly when processing. The CPU usage graph is jaggy and spiky. Also, LrC on Windows is totally unusable for hours while it processes. Not to mention it consumes 3x the power than the Mac Studio and is basically a space heater.
i recently switched from pc to apple and have a similar experience. I went from a top of the line gaming laptop with I9 processor to the entry level Mac Studio M2. My MAC solution includes the 5k studio monitor and a G Drive enterprise level external SSD.

The performance improvement with MAC was to coin a well-used phrase around here, game changing. And I have been a life long PC user living in the Microsoft capital, Seattle. I am converted and adjusting to a new operating system.

I currently do my photo processing with two monitors, the 5k Studio Display and a 4k Dell photo monitor. I do the developing on the 5k screen and the 4k holds the thumbnails. MAC makes a really high end 6k professional monitor and the reviews on that monitor have been stellar. Too expensive unless you are running a high end production shop. Prices will come down, they always do with new screen technology and one day I may go 6k.

I do think my whole photo world will be fully rounded if someone will just gift me one of the high end Z telephoto primes as well as that 6k pro screen. Sadly it hasn’t happened yet.:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I mostly use Mirrorless (Z6, Z9) with 7 Z lenses, and have held on to my D850/500PF combo. I also shoot a D600 IR conversion and keep my old D750 as a family loaner along with 5 F-mount lenses. I have an F100 for a few rolls of film each year and 5 old Minolta lenses I use on the Z6 with a Metabones adapter. In other words, I have feet in multiple camps because I do this for the fun of it all.
In other words I use DSLR, mirrorless and film. Why not?

I forgot to mention that I still have a Nikonos V film underwater camera. I even bought a few rolls of film for it about eight months ago. I have however not actually used it. Every time I think about it I think about how much it is going to cost to develop a measly 36 images.

I use both mirrorless and DSLRs. Shoot mainly wildlife ( bison, elk, sheep, goats, coyotes, eagles, Osprey, owls, song birds etc). Shoot with a Z8, Z6ii, D850 and D500. Lenses include 200-400 f4, 300pf, 500pf, z24-120, f28-300, 1.4ii, 1.4iii, 1.7 teleconverters. I agonize on a daily basis which body/lens combination to take to the field vs what I might find to shoot. Making the commitment to move to mirrorless completely is difficult based on the ease of producing sharp results with the tools available. I find I have my best success using the Z6ii followed by the D500, then the D850. I’m still unsure about the Z8 having had it for only a month or two. Lots to learn!

However the D6 is a formidable instrument, and I know my well worn D850 works as well as it always has, since 2017
Agree. I (some might have said “oddly”?) sold my D500 two years ago and purchased a “nearly new” used D6 followed by a very low shutter count D850. Considered the Z9 but at the time the wait was very, very long and I did save a little cash going used. Regrets? Not really.

Would/will I get a Z9/other in future. Absolutely but loving my current crop of old school gear (and a good number of excellent F-mount lenses).

Last edited:
I'm Film, Mirrorless And DSLR. I'm also Mac which is only slightly less bureaucratic than windows.
I forgot to mention that I still have a Nikonos V film underwater camera. I even bought a few rolls of film for it about eight months ago. I have however not actually used it. Every time I think about it I think about how much it is going to cost to develop a measly 36 images.
My method is to spend thousands of dollars on equipment so I can save a few pennies processing film myself. The upside is I don't mind spending a few pennies to process film, after all, I have the equipment. Circular logic but it works.

Last edited:
I first tried mirrorless with the Z50, and liked it. Still use it for grab-and-go. Then I got a Z5 and had it converted to full-spectrum for IR -- that is a great solution, and traded in a converted D600. Now have a Z8 and slowly trading in other lenses for the Z-series.

The D850 is still around as a back-up, occasionally use it with the 60mm Micro Nikkor and ES-2 for slide scanning. For scanning 35mm negatives, I still prefer the old Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 -- VueScan can semi-automate scans of negative strips.

Computer-wise, I'm planning to trade in my 2017 iMac on a Mac Studio this summer. I used to also boot the iMac with Windows 10 using VMWare, but no longer have a need for Windows. I had hoped that an M3 Mac Studio would be announced at WWDC, but that looks unlikely until an M4 upgrade next year. I'll also get a Studio Display, even though the HDR range on it is well below the state-of-the-art. Hopefully, next year the Studio Display will get an upgrade, then I'll sell (or more likely give away) my very old 27" Thunderbolt 2nd display.

i use mirrorless for wildlife (silent shooting and Tracking) as well as travel (compactness). However I still use my D850 for landscape and portrait photography, mainly because I still have a lot of F glass which i like, as well as the satisfaction of hearing that clung of the mirror (call me old fashioned ☺️ )

it is costly switching all my gear at once, but I am doing it gradually.. but I will always have a soft spot and will use my D850 (my first FF camera).

It was a huge financial decision but I am now all mirrorless. I have a Z9, the wife has a Z8 and we share another Z8. Recently sold all of my DSLR cameras and glass. Only f-mount glass I kept was the 14-24 f2.8 as it is such a great lens and I do not shoot landscape as much as I used to.

I recently retired and decided not to mirrorless until (if?) it can pay for itself. I have a D500 & D850 now so I feel like I’m at the top of the DSLR game. I am envious at the shots I’m seeing out of Z9’s tho.
Also, I’m pretty happy with my iPhone 12 especially skys. Although I haven’t really printed from the phone they can look great on a monitor/phone.

I’d love to jump into a mirrorless set up but just not in the cards right now, I found a 5d Iv with 2700 clicks for what would be 800$ usd that I’ll pick up thursday. My 90d will become my 2nd body for reach/backup when I need it. There’s lots to learn with photography and I’d like to do a workshop, that would probably benefit me more right now then spending more on a camera body.

Back