What to do with all of these photos, help!!!!!!!!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As others have said citizen science via Cornel Laboratory of Ornithology E bird and the McCauley Library.

I still print some for my own use and the occasional sale and exhibits at non profits.

I also provide a lot of image for use by non profit conservation oriented entities.

And social media my own facebook page and Idaho Birding.

I take and process images for my own enjoyment. I should make a web-site but have not as yet. Here is an idea that has not appeared here. When I purchased a large UHD TV, I started cropping my images 16:9. I can mirror my iMac to the TV through home WiFi. It is relatively easy to make a slide-show with music that can be played on the TV. However you can just select a heap of images and let them cycle. The first time I did it I was blown away by the detail that appears on a large 4k TV. It is also a great way to look at series of images that you have just processed. This made my eyes pop even though I process and view images on a 27" 5k iMac. I have just given myself a big "wake-up call"!! On a Mac this can be done very easily in Keynote (Powerpoint on a PC). Choose a piece of music and determine the time of the piece. Work out how many images you need for 6 seconds with a transition. Drop that many images into a folder. There will be heaps of You-tube instruction videos on this. I have shot, birds, seascapes, travel, astro and macro images. When you make a slide-show to music you can output it as file that can be viewed on Macs, PCs or TVs. You can pop them on a memory stick to send to friends or use something like "Dropbox" to send electronically. You could make whole series of slideshows set to lovely music. Bird images with Mozart clarinet concerto is terrific - and quite long to get a few images in! A folder of musical slideshows of your best images would be worth finding rather than countless folders with countless images. For personal use this will be OK if you have purchased the music. Also really great for giving talks where computer projection or a TV is present. What images would you like to see ladies and gentlemen? I have birds, seascapes, travel, astro or macro etc etc?

I take and process images for my own enjoyment. I should make a web-site but have not as yet. Here is an idea that has not appeared here. When I purchased a large UHD TV, I started cropping my images 16:9. I can mirror my iMac to the TV through home WiFi. It is relatively easy to make a slide-show with music that can be played on the TV. However you can just select a heap of images and let them cycle. The first time I did it I was blown away by the detail that appears on a large 4k TV. It is also a great way to look at series of images that you have just processed. This made my eyes pop even though I process and view images on a 27" 5k iMac. I have just given myself a big "wake-up call"!! On a Mac this can be done very easily in Keynote (Powerpoint on a PC). Choose a piece of music and determine the time of the piece. Work out how many images you need for 6 seconds with a transition. Drop that many images into a folder. There will be heaps of You-tube instruction videos on this. I have shot, birds, seascapes, travel, astro and macro images. When you make a slide-show to music you can output it as file that can be viewed on Macs, PCs or TVs. You can pop them on a memory stick to send to friends or use something like "Dropbox" to send electronically. You could make whole series of slideshows set to lovely music. Bird images with Mozart clarinet concerto is terrific - and quite long to get a few images in! A folder of musical slideshows of your best images would be worth finding rather than countless folders with countless images. For personal use this will be OK if you have purchased the music. Also really great for giving talks where computer projection or a TV is present. What images would you like to see ladies and gentlemen? I have birds, seascapes, travel, astro or macro etc etc?
Good thought!
do something like that with my catalogue in Lightroom to go through images and select the best one. I share my laptop with my tv screen, I sit on the coach and start to evaluate my shot. I found looking at them from a distance and on a big screen is so different from seeing them close on my laptop or my desktop computer.

I go out and shoot birds all year long. Generally 1-2 times per week. I love walking at sunrise at Great Meadow in Concord, MA. I am usually out about 2-3 hours each visit and take between 50-100 photos per visit.
Now, I think my photography has improved. I started with a D610 and now shoot a D850. Hard to believe, that is now “ Old School”. In any case, I now have accumulated 1000’s of photos. I create greeting cards with what I consider my best. I basically give them to family and friends. I used to sell my pics, but just can’t be bothered with that anymore.

What else is there? I have “zero “ wall space for my own photos. Photo albums are expensive, I am 70 and find it difficult to motivate toward some production mode. And so, the photos sit on my 2tb external hard drive. I have a website, but, I have over 200 pics on it and find it difficult to justify adding more pics.

So tell me, what’s a photographer to do?

I won’t stop shooting. I love it too much. What types of outlets do you all have. I am truly interested in production alternatives.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
It can be tedious to have to sit through hundreds, if not thousands of photographs to pick out the very best for presenting to the public so what I've trained myself to do is discard all the ones that don't WOW me or really grab my attention for one reason or another when I initially see them on the big screen. I just figure that if I'm not impressed then others won't be either for, they are most likely, although nice, "just another boring bird on a stick pic." So, if I don't feel excited when I see them, I instantly delete them. That should help to keep the numbers down and make it easier/quicker to sort through pics and you'll know that all the pics you kept are worth keeping and posting. I find that it helps me with mine. GL!

Back