What types of wildlife do you photograph?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What wildlife do you photograph?

• Exclusively large mammals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exclusively small mammals

• Exclusively large birds

• Exclusively small birds

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Mixed with priority on large mammals

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Mixed with priority on small mammals

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Mixed with priority on large birds

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Mixed with priority on small birds

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Other (please specify below)

Votes: 25 27.5%

• Total voters

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm always curious about the types of animals people focus on for their photography. Personally, I prioritize large mammals over most things, but will gladly take other "targets of opportunity" when they present themselves. My next favorite subjects (after large mammals) are medium/large birds that stalk the shallows on the edges of water, such as egrets and herons, as well as various raptors. They are always an endless source of entertainment for me and I could watch them for hours, even without a camera in hand.

I'm often surprised by how specific some folks are in their photographic pursuits (i.e. only pursuing small songbirds, BIF, marine mammals, etc...). I'd love to hear from everyone here on BCG....what wildlife do you love to photograph MOST, and why?

I know I didn't cover everything with my choices, but I figured most people would fall into one of the categories listed.

I like to go places where there is something interesting to look at. If wildlife happens to be an interesting part of that, all the better. But not necessarily seeking it out as the main reason to visit a place.

Birds and mammals - both large and small birds, mostly large (if you consider 20+ lbs/10 kg) large, though some smaller mammals.

_JN98346-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Mixed with no particular priority. If it’s wild and in its natural habitat I photograph it. In addition to birds and mammals that includes: amphibians, reptiles, insects, marine life, basically any life forms.

I probably capture more birds just because there are so many of them living in varied habitats but it’s not so much that I give them extra priority as much as there are just so many of them in so many places I tend to visit.

Larger mammals dominate my more recent portfolio, but for many years it was small vertebrates; Bats, the local Herpetofauna and also larger insects and arachnids. These were largely during intensive biodiversity surveys.

Where I happen to live, birds are my accessible subjects, usually during daily walks.

Where and when circumstances, I strive to photograph Animalscapes, in which larger mammals are the ideal focal subjects. And with birds and larger insects, I also strive at capturing ecological and behavioural interactions.

Mixed with no particular priority. If it’s wild and in its natural habitat I photograph it. In addition to birds and mammals that includes: amphibians, reptiles, insects, marine life, basically any life forms.

I probably capture more birds just because there are so many of them living in varied habitats but it’s not so much that I give them extra priority as much as there are just so many of them in so many places I tend to visit.
I'm with you Dave, mostly it's my love for the outdoors and if there happens to be some critter out there then all the better - large to small to really small, if it's moving (or stationary) and I've got my camera with me I'm probably taking a picture of it...

I selected "Other." In my area, there are different creatures who are active at different times of day and different times of year. For example, October and November is the rutting time for whitetail deer, April and early May is the warbler migration, Right now, it's dragonflies and butterflies in the afternoon, turtles, frogs and snakes also in afternoon. Smaller mammals in morning. If lucky, get a raccoon, skunk or opossum heading off to sleep the rest of the day away. I'm not the least bit bashful about photographing insects, spiders, wildflowers, amphibians, reptiles, birds or mammals. Basically, I do not call myself a "wildlife photographer". I'm a "Nature Photographer" and will happily photograph anything out in nature that catches my fancy. Today, I was shooting bees and other insects on flowers.

Jeff

I feel like this poll could be better by making it multiple choice and changing the options to small mammals, predators, other large mammals, raptors, songbirds, shorebirds, other birds.

I shoot whatever I find available in the area. Lately it’s been raptors, especially bald eagles as I’ve discovered a nest in a nearby suburban area. I was able to observe 2 adults raising an eaglet over the winter and spring months here. The eaglet left the nest about 3 weeks ago, and the adults appear to be on summer vacation. Quite a bit of hawk and falcon action in the spring as well. Starting the dog days of summer…supposed to be 107 today, so it’s going to be slower.

I voted "Other" because I would say high, high priority on birds over mammals. Maybe 97% birds with 3% mammals. But I don't have a small vs large bird priority. I photograph songbirds and hummingbirds as much as I photograph herons and raptors.

My answer would be "Mixed with a very high priority on birds regardless of size"
Pretty much identical here; so voted other as well.

I'm in a very similar situation. Generally I plan around the best subject matter available with the time available. It may be landscapes, insects, macro, or the various types of wildlife listed. Of the wildlife listed, only small birds are accessible within a 2-3 hour drive so that affects what I photograph.

I voted "Other" because I would say high, high priority on birds over mammals. Maybe 97% birds with 3% mammals. But I don't have a small vs large bird priority. I photograph songbirds and hummingbirds as much as I photograph herons and raptors.

My answer would be "Mixed with a very high priority on birds regardless of size"
I’m with Arbitrage. I selected other for the same reason. I won’t pass up an opportunity to shoot whatever is available but my priority are birds.

I selected Other. For me, any kind of wildlife will do. It's a matter of whatever is available at the location I find myself. By the nature of things, smaller birds are most abundant everywhere so I tend to take more images of them. I'm not much into macro work with insects, though. Sometimes the hunting raptors, terns, egrets, herons are more exciting so I tend to concentrate on those if they are available in the area. I don't pass up an opportunity to shoot any other birds or animals, though.

On an African safari it's really a toss-up between all wild animals and all birds. There's an abundance of both.

Last edited:
I'm in the mammals big and small camp. If there aren't any of them around just about any bird will do. If there aren't any of them around landscapes.

So long as it's not human I'm in.

I would classify myself as an opportunistic wildlife shooter who takes photos for the sheer joy of it all. I take photos of what is available when I get the chance to go out. It is often birds and small mammals because they are in my yard, or the nearby parks or the wildlife refuges here in Wisconsin. And, wildlife may have a broad definition from insects to small mammals and so on. Of course, when in Colorado visiting our daughter, there will be more shots of larger game. In other words, I go out to capture interesting images and enjoy my time with nature.

Back