What types of wildlife do you photograph?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What wildlife do you photograph?

• Exclusively large mammals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exclusively small mammals

• Exclusively large birds

• Exclusively small birds

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Mixed with priority on large mammals

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Mixed with priority on small mammals

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Mixed with priority on large birds

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Mixed with priority on small birds

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Other (please specify below)

Votes: 25 27.5%

• Total voters
If it moves, I photograph it...but not people for the most part...:sneaky:. I like action shots so I'm always looking for what is moving and, hopefully, in the right light.

I am a mix of Wildlife. I shoot mainly Larger Raptors. I am not a warbler guy at all but will shoot a few if it's a slow day. Fun more interesting birds as well like Kingfishers, Ibis, Night Herons, Terns Swallows. I also will shoot any size mammal. Fox, Deer, Moose, Elk, Bison, otters you name it. Because I will shoot large raptors 85% of the time I put "Mixed with priority on large birds"

Mixed with no particular priority. If it’s wild and in its natural habitat I photograph it. In addition to birds and mammals that includes: amphibians, reptiles, insects, marine life, basically any life forms.

I probably capture more birds just because there are so many of them living in varied habitats but it’s not so much that I give them extra priority as much as there are just so many of them in so many places I tend to visit.
This. ^^^

Mostly small songbirds, especially warblers. I tend to go out with a target species in mind. I know where to find them and focus on them alone. If I happen to see other species or a Mammal when I'm out I will photograph them too.

Another vote for 'other'. I like to shoot natural environments, preferably those with living creatures. It becomes a matter of opportunity, then. Going to Yellowstone? Probably large mammals. Going to Glacier or Denali? Probably the same. Around the SF Bay Area? Mostly birds since what wildlife there is (actually quite a bit) is pretty shy. Monterey? Mostly birds and some pinnipeds, but it's a landscape area....

I chose mixed with priority on large birds, just due to the available wildlife where I live. Here where I live in Hawaii we don't have large land mammals so I spend most of my time shooting birds, with an occasional turtle or seal. But if I lived somewhere with large mammals that would be my choice. I usually take my vacations in places with bears, moose, elk, deer, etc., because that is what I like to shoot. Going to Glacier NP in late September, then to Banff in early October. I got some nice grizzly and black bear shots the last time I went to Glacier.

I'm always curious about the types of animals people focus on for their photography. Personally, I prioritize large mammals over most things, but will gladly take other "targets of opportunity" when they present themselves. My next favorite subjects (after large mammals) are medium/large birds that stalk the shallows on the edges of water, such as egrets and herons, as well as various raptors. They are always an endless source of entertainment for me and I could watch them for hours, even without a camera in hand.

I'm often surprised by how specific some folks are in their photographic pursuits (i.e. only pursuing small songbirds, BIF, marine mammals, etc...). I'd love to hear from everyone here on BCG....what wildlife do you love to photograph MOST, and why?

I know I didn't cover everything with my choices, but I figured most people would fall into one of the categories listed.
I photograph whatever's there and I can get a good shot of. Don't really specialize, though I do have favorites: wolves, foxes, owls and bears. But I also love taking shots of eagles, hawks, songbirds, whatever.

I get obsessed with one critter or another and that's my focus until I burn out and change. Orcas have been it for the past few years. But birds, other mammals,herps, insects, plants/flowers, etc. all get taken when opportunity arises.

I marked "other" because I don't prioritize anything. I'm an opportunist. I'll shoot anything with fur or feathers that I can. If I had to state a preference I guess it would be for action oriented critters. So BIF and bears fishing are probably top of the list.
Is the polar bear your shot? He is magnificent, btw.😀

I typically photograph all wildlife in natural settings, but typically no domesticated animals. In my local area (midwest) I'm photographing a lot of birds and insects because that is what is here. I do take trips to photograph larger animals both at game parks and in the wild, I especially like bears.

I chose mixed with a priority on small birds because I am a birder who takes photographs for ID and use on E bird for some citizen science.

I also photograph large birds but there are fewer of them and they are easier to ID :cool:

I photograph various other critters that happen along and have photographed a bit of everything from small flying bugs to elephants.

I don't take my camera time as a specific limit to subject, it's more about returning to home with whatever I happen to view that trip out. I can't see limiting to just one size animal or bird, flower, car, boat, truck, hobby.

If it has antlers or horns, I'm photographing it. Mostly deer and elk, which limits me to roughly the fall season. Therefore, I find myself doing more small birds. Primarily in the spring and summer of south Texas.

Back